Solar Electric Powered Aircraft

Old March 31st 05, 02:35 PM
W P Dixon

In just a few moments I will be driving my Honda Civic on an
interstate that will be a sea of SUVs.
Vaughn
Well I would sure look strange trying to get out of the mountains with a
deer strapped onto a Honda Civic. I do understand your argument, alot of
soccer moms and dads need a 4x4 like another hole in the head. Myself I
have an 84 Ford F-150 4x4, with a built up 351 Windsor and C-6 trannie. Not
built up for racing but for pulling and yanking! Look at the bright side,
if I get stuck in snow or mud or what have you I just pull myself out with
my huge WARN winch. Hee Hee, I had to have something to mount on that big
brush guard besides deer spotter lights and my "American by Birth, Southern
By The Grace Of God" tag!

Patrick

Old March 31st 05, 03:43 PM
Bob Fry

"Morgans" writes:

We wouldn't have so many
unpaved roads that need SUV's.

Oh, puh-leeeeeeze!

"Conservation may be a sign of personal virtue, but it is not a
sufficient basis for a sound, comprehensive energy policy." Dick
Cheney, 2001.

Old March 31st 05, 03:48 PM
Shawn

Malcolm Austin wrote:
Hi Jim,
sorry I touched a raw nerve there! Without wanting to ramp up
the
"discussion" my comment would be: -

Your argument really seems to say that, dam the rest of the world, we are
going
to use all the energy we want. We did similar things in the past, as with
high
sulphur coal for power generation. The result was lots of acidified lakes
and dead
trees east of us.

Attitudes will have to change, or your very dry Death Valley will cover
rather more
of the country than it currently does..

Death Valley is currently covered in wild flowers. I was there last
week, beautiful. The world is changing so fast these days, you can't
even rely on a time tested metaphor.

Shawn
Old March 31st 05, 04:05 PM
Rolf Blom

On 2005-03-31 08:11, Grumman-581 wrote:
"Matt Barrow" wrote in message ...

Considering that we have anywhere from 40 to 200 years of known reserves,
and that breakthroughs happen with considerable frequency, I'd say whoever
wrote the article was pushing an agenda. The history of mankind has been
laced with such hysterics.

Ahhh, but it sure would be nice to end terrorism by no longer needing oil
from the Middle East and we could let them go back to being the POOR camel
****in' Bedoins that they have historically been...

And your new transport would be a horse & carriage instead of the SUV?

/Rolf
Old March 31st 05, 04:50 PM
George Patterson

Malcolm Austin wrote:

PS. Oh, and I hear your not over sexed anymore, whys that ????????

Something called "political correctness." Whistle at a girl these days and you
wind up in court, and God help you if you make a pass at someone at work.

George Patterson
Whosoever bloweth not his own horn, the same shall remain unblown.
Old March 31st 05, 04:56 PM
Malcolm Austin

Sounds like I "crashed and burned" on that one then?

(doesn't it make you happy there's no engine and fuel in most gliders!)

Malcolm

PS Apologies to the readers for going distinctly way, way off message
here...

Old March 31st 05, 05:51 PM

We just aren't hurting enough yet for any change. Business as usual,
until we can't take it anymore.. Then the world will scramble.
Whatever happened to fusion?

Bill Daniels wrote:
"Matt Barrow" wrote in message

snip

Nuclear, anyone?

Bill Daniels

Old March 31st 05, 07:06 PM
Corky Scott

On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 21:16:21 GMT, Larry Dighera
wrote:

Don't forget about coal. There's a lot of that.

I was actually thinking in terms of what's useful to burn for energy
in our airplanes.

Many industries switched from coal and high sulfur oil to liquid
petroleum gas to reduce emissions in the last two or three decades.
Their profits are tied to the cost of oil, which is rising rapidly
right now.

It doesn't matter that we still have an estimated 200 years of oil to
use up, it's still a finite reserve, it isn't being magically replaced
somehow. At some point in the much nearer future, what is relatively
easily tapped right now, will become increasingly more difficult to
remove. Something will needed in the future to replace it. Perhaps
it will be nuclear (or as GW puts it, newkular) I don't know but the
time to think about this is now before it becomes a crisis and the
world goes to war over oil. Hmm, going to war over oil... Isn't that,
oh nevermind.

Corky Scott

Old March 31st 05, 07:12 PM
Jack

Malcolm Austin wrote:

...I hear your not over sexed anymore, whys that ????????

It's all relative, cousin.

Now that we've seen more of your TV and Movie actors over here we understand
that you lot have just been pretending not to be interested in that sort of
thing: either that or you've just sent the animals over to us and the
regular Brits have stayed home.

Jack