Tales Of The Bloody Triangle

Old February 4th 21, 08:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Tales Of The Bloody Triangle

On Thursday, February 4, 2021 at 11:58:56 AM UTC-5, wrote:
Just for Bob, the ASW-20 fan: https://www.onlinecontest.org/olc-3....l?dsId=5130184 (600 km declared).

Stopped a little short of 3rd declared TP (declaration was for 650km) on this one, but got free triangle state record: https://www.onlinecontest.org/olc-3....l?dsId=5911937

T8

Yes Evan, I am an ASW20 fan, the GOAT still performs and without one of sustainer engines. When you see a triangle like that with mostly even legs it is impressive, I do not give out many compliments, but that one gets a big compliment from me, very nice flight. The OLC comes up a bit short when scoring triangles, and I wish the purist was more heavily weighted. Nice Bloody Triangle!
Old February 5th 21, 02:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Al Tyler 8H

On Wednesday, February 3, 2021 at 4:45:51 PM UTC-5, wrote:
I have been around this game for a bit and have made all kind of flights, straight out flights, out and return flights, and the Bloody Triangle. I must say that the most difficult of them all is the declared triangle with minimum leg distances. Without a doubt the triangle is the most challenging of all.
Yes, you can run up and down the ridge, go straight out or go out and return, all are good flights, but the big triangle is the Bloody prize. What do you think?

Old February 5th 21, 02:44 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
MNLou

Should east coast triangles that use the ridge be discounted because they are easier to complete than triangles that use only thermals on all 3 sides?

Flame suit on

Lou

PS - Great flight Evan!
Old February 5th 21, 03:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mark Mocho

On Thursday, February 4, 2021 at 6:44:57 PM UTC-7, MNLou wrote:
Should east coast triangles that use the ridge be discounted because they are easier to complete than triangles that use only thermals on all 3 sides?

Flame suit on

Lou

PS - Great flight Evan!

I really don't care what kind of lift is used along any leg of a triangle, simply because the nature of an FAI triangle requires at least one upwind leg, with minimum and maximum percentages of each leg to qualify as a triangle. A 500 km ridge run with only a 20 km deviation from the flown course results in a pretty anemic FAI triangle distance. OLC scores triangles pretty much the same. If it's blowing hard enough for ridge lift to give an advantage during one leg, it is likely that one of the other legs will be into a stiff headwind. Plus, the "handicapping" of a ridge lift leg would generate enough controversy and heated blather from different know-it-all commentators that a pretty decent soaring day could be had by those hovering overhead.
Old February 5th 21, 03:44 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Moshe Braner

On Thursday, February 4, 2021 at 8:44:57 PM UTC-5, MNLou wrote:
Should east coast triangles that use the ridge be discounted because they are easier to complete than triangles that use only thermals on all 3 sides?

Flame suit on

Lou

PS - Great flight Evan!

How about adding points for how many states you fly in during the same flight? We in the little Eastern states need SOME advantage :-) From where I (and Evan) fly, we fly in 3 states to do a 250 km O&R: https://www.onlinecontest.org/olc-3....l?dsId=7862704
Or a 300km triangle: https://www.onlinecontest.org/olc-3....l?dsId=7266702
Old February 5th 21, 03:57 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tango Eight

Here's a mixed mode triangle. Very cool flight by W3 https://www.onlinecontest.org/olc-3....l?dsId=7820733

T8
Old February 5th 21, 09:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Good

Should east coast triangles that use the ridge be discounted ... ?

I recall a long-ago comment from Wally Scott (probably the all-time master of the downwind dash). He felt that the value of the 1000-km Diplome was being watered down by flights that used ridge and wave. He suggested that maybe these should be recognized in a different category from flights done only in thermal lift.

Tom Knauff gave a cogent reply, along these lines: "It will be time to listen to Wally on this subject when he starts flying his long straight-out flights upwind, instead of downwind."
Old February 6th 21, 02:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Friday, February 5, 2021 at 3:20:30 PM UTC-5, John Good wrote:
Should east coast triangles that use the ridge be discounted ... ?

I recall a long-ago comment from Wally Scott (probably the all-time master of the downwind dash). He felt that the value of the 1000-km Diplome was being watered down by flights that used ridge and wave. He suggested that maybe these should be recognized in a different category from flights done only in thermal lift.

Tom Knauff gave a cogent reply, along these lines: "It will be time to listen to Wally on this subject when he starts flying his long straight-out flights upwind, instead of downwind."

Wally did much more than downwind dashes, Wally was absolutely correct when it came to assessing the value of the ridge flight vs thermal and straight out flights. I met Wally back in the 80's, a true gentleman and avid glider pilot.
Old February 6th 21, 03:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

We South westerners can do a 5 state flight. That would starting at
Dalhard, TX and flying north through Oklahoma into Kansas, turning left
and hitting Colorado, before turning south to New Mexico and then back
to Texas. Would that garner a few extra points?

They used to have organized safaris to Dalhart just for that purpose.

bDan
5J
/b

Old February 6th 21, 04:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
AS

On Friday, February 5, 2021 at 9:47:37 PM UTC-5, Dan Marotta wrote:
We South westerners can do a 5 state flight. That would starting at
Dalhard, TX and flying north through Oklahoma into Kansas, turning left
and hitting Colorado, before turning south to New Mexico and then back
to Texas. Would that garner a few extra points?

They used to have organized safaris to Dalhart just for that purpose.

Depending on where you start in Europe, you can easily cover several countries. Flights from the NW part of Germany covering The Netherlands, Belgium, France and Luxemburg are not uncommon. In the southern part of Germany, flights across Austria into Italy and back are possible.
There were even flights from Europe across the Mediterranean Sea to northern Africa.
Would crossing international borders or even inter-continental flights earn any bonus points?

Uli
'AS'