GNS430W: Parallel offset course feature

Old September 7th 07, 04:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
B[_2_]

Default GNS430W: Parallel offset course feature

Peter R. wrote:
On 9/7/2007 12:07:03 AM, Newps wrote:

That parallel offset feature has been on every GPS I've had.

I thought I read the original GNS430 manual pretty well, but if that feature
was in the original box I missed it.

No, you didn't miss anything. The 129 400/500s did not have track offset.
Old September 7th 07, 04:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
B[_2_]

Peter R. wrote:

On 9/7/2007 7:58:56 AM, Roy Smith wrote:

It's mostly used by people flying SAR missions. You keep increasing the
offset and end up flying a box pattern.

Ah, OK. I had read about trans-Atlantic flights using an offset and assumed
it was available in these WAAS boxes given their extreme accuracy and the
increased chances of mid-airs on climb-outs and descents.

It would be nice to use it on Victor airways, had they only offered
offests in 1/10 mile increments.
Old September 8th 07, 03:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Peter Clark

On Fri, 07 Sep 2007 08:11:19 -0700, B wrote:

Peter R. wrote:

On 9/7/2007 7:58:56 AM, Roy Smith wrote:

It's mostly used by people flying SAR missions. You keep increasing the
offset and end up flying a box pattern.

Ah, OK. I had read about trans-Atlantic flights using an offset and assumed
it was available in these WAAS boxes given their extreme accuracy and the
increased chances of mid-airs on climb-outs and descents.

It would be nice to use it on Victor airways, had they only offered
offests in 1/10 mile increments.

It would be nice to have victor airways in the box....
Old September 8th 07, 10:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
B[_2_]

Peter R. wrote:

On 9/7/2007 7:58:56 AM, Roy Smith wrote:

It's mostly used by people flying SAR missions. You keep increasing the
offset and end up flying a box pattern.

Ah, OK. I had read about trans-Atlantic flights using an offset and assumed
it was available in these WAAS boxes given their extreme accuracy and the
increased chances of mid-airs on climb-outs and descents.

It would be nice to use it on Victor airways, had they only offered
offests in 1/10 mile increments.

It would be nice to have victor airways in the box....

All the necessary components of Victor airways are in the box. What you
want, I presume, is an airway database. I guess you have to go to a
G-1000 to get that.;-)
Old September 8th 07, 02:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Stan Prevost

It can be used to set a one or two mile offset from an unfamiliar airport
you are flying to, so it comes up on your left side where you can see it
rather than up under your nose where you might miss it. I used it that way
a couple of times on a Northstar M3, but didn't find it worth the trouble,
and I have never used it on my 430W. I can't think of any IFR use for the
feature.

Stan

"Peter R." wrote in message
Just picked up my aircraft with the GNS430W upgrade and was reading the
manual to see what new features are now included. In there I discovered
the
feature that allows the pilot to purposely fly a parallel offset course
anywhere from 1 to 99 miles. The only tedious characteristic of this
feature
(IMO) is that the pilot must set this option every time a flight plan is
activated, rather than having the option "stick" across flights. Thus,
over
time it seems to me a pilot may eventually opt to not set it.

Anyone use this feature? I am curious about its popularity.

--
Peter

Old September 8th 07, 02:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Roy Smith

"Stan Prevost" wrote:

I can't think of any IFR use for the feature.

Use it for flying perfect racetrack holds. Set up the inbound leg on both
your #1 and #2 GPS, but set the #2 GPS to offset the course by a mile or
so. On the inbound leg, track the #1 GPS. On the outbound leg, track the
#2 GPS with reverse sensing.

Yeah, I know, I'm being silly.
Old September 8th 07, 07:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Mike Adams[_2_]

B wrote:

All the necessary components of Victor airways are in the box. What you
want, I presume, is an airway database. I guess you have to go to a
G-1000 to get that.;-)

or a GNS-480!

Old September 8th 07, 11:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Peter Clark

On Sat, 08 Sep 2007 02:32:50 -0700, B wrote:

It would be nice to have victor airways in the box....

All the necessary components of Victor airways are in the box. What you
want, I presume, is an airway database. I guess you have to go to a
G-1000 to get that.;-)

I know they are, that's what's so frustrating. And once Piper makes a
Malibu or Meridan with a G1000 instaed of the Avidyne panel, I might
just trade up.....
Old September 9th 07, 01:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Matt Barrow[_4_]

"B" wrote in message
Peter Clark wrote:
On Fri, 07 Sep 2007 08:11:19 -0700, B wrote:

It would be nice to have victor airways in the box....

All the necessary components of Victor airways are in the box. What you
want, I presume, is an airway database. I guess you have to go to a
G-1000 to get that.;-)

Airways from a GPS: That's like buying a $1000 stereo and listening to
monaural AM radio. :~(

Old September 9th 07, 01:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Matt Barrow[_4_]

"Peter Clark" wrote in message
On Sat, 08 Sep 2007 02:32:50 -0700, B wrote:

It would be nice to have victor airways in the box....

All the necessary components of Victor airways are in the box. What you
want, I presume, is an airway database. I guess you have to go to a
G-1000 to get that.;-)

I know they are, that's what's so frustrating. And once Piper makes a
Malibu or Meridan with a G1000 instaed of the Avidyne panel, I might
just trade up.....

AviDyne uses the Garmin GPS for it's Nav input, so get the Avidyne, but
attach a GPS-480 to it if you REALLY want airways.