What tools do you take?

Old March 1st 04, 08:41 PM
Jim Weir

'bout what was in the survival kits aboard the B-52s in "Dr. Strangelove".

....six pack of condoms, four pairs of ladies nylons, two ounces of gold
bullion...

Jim

http://www.rst-engr.com
Old March 1st 04, 11:11 PM
Ray Andraka

add a clean T-shirt and change of underwear. You'll be glad you have it
if something breaks and can't be fixed until the morning. Been there
done that.

Tom Sixkiller wrote:

"Michael Horowitz" wrote in message
What tools do you take along for a two day XC? - Mike

Hershey bars and nylons....and a small tool kit about the size of an
bathroom kit.

--
--Ray Andraka, P.E.
401/884-7930 Fax 401/884-7950

-Benjamin Franklin, 1759

Old March 2nd 04, 12:58 AM
Doug

I do a LOT of my own maintenance (with A&P signoff). I have a little
red tool box, a little bigger than a lunch box. If I need a tool I
don't have, it then goes into the little red (I have a BIG tool box
too). I pretty much have a full set of mechanics tools in there. But
only the sockets and wrenches I know I need. BTW, you don't need a
safetywire tool, safety wire can be done with pliers. And I want it to
be light. Little red weighs about 10-15 lbs, I would guess. It's all
SNAPON tools. The guys really like em when they come out, and so do I
(NOTHING fits the hand like a Snapon). I also have what I need to
repair a flat.

But I'll admit, if you stay at airports, there is usually a mechanic
to fix what is wrong. The real problem is PARTS. I carry a couple of
extra spark plugs and an inner tube, two quarts of oil. There is
really no way to anticipate what parts you will need. Have some duct
tape.

Also carry some water, candy bars, a warm coat, blanket and some warm
boots this time of year, as well as something to start a fire with and
a first aid kit. A flare gun is a great idea also, and some red tape
to make a cross on the ground (or a distress flag).

One thing, if I carry my tool kit, Murphy says I won't need it. But
watch out when I don't bring it!
Old March 2nd 04, 02:02 AM
Mike Rapoport

"Doug" wrote in message
om...
I do a LOT of my own maintenance (with A&P signoff). I have a little
red tool box, a little bigger than a lunch box. If I need a tool I
don't have, it then goes into the little red (I have a BIG tool box
too). I pretty much have a full set of mechanics tools in there. But
only the sockets and wrenches I know I need. BTW, you don't need a
safetywire tool, safety wire can be done with pliers. And I want it to
be light. Little red weighs about 10-15 lbs, I would guess. It's all
SNAPON tools. The guys really like em when they come out, and so do I
(NOTHING fits the hand like a Snapon). I also have what I need to
repair a flat.

A little off topic, but how does *anyone* afford Snapon tools? Their 1/4
socket set is about $1100!

Mike
MU-2

Old March 2nd 04, 02:25 PM
Tom Sixkiller

"Mike Rapoport" wrote in message
link.net...

A little off topic, but how does *anyone* afford Snapon tools? Their 1/4
socket set is about $1100!

E-Gawd...I've got a 100 piece Craftsman set that's about 30 years old, that
I paid $60 for and still going strong. I never broke one, but I did swallow
one once.

Old March 2nd 04, 02:28 PM
Tom Sixkiller

"Ray Andraka" wrote in message
add a clean T-shirt and change of underwear. You'll be glad you have it
if something breaks and can't be fixed until the morning. Been there
done that.

Underwear for me or for the babes I give the nylons and Hershey bars to?

Old March 2nd 04, 02:39 PM
G.R. Patterson III

Mike Rapoport wrote:

A little off topic, but how does *anyone* afford Snapon tools? Their 1/4
socket set is about $1100!

I'm with you on that. They had a tent at Osh a few years ago, and I priced some
stuff. I decided that my old Craftsman and Mac tools are good enough after all.

George Patterson
A diplomat is a person who can tell you to go to hell in such a way that
you look forward to the trip.
Old March 2nd 04, 03:24 PM
Mike Rapoport

They are beautiful tools and in some situations the Snapon tool will fit
when the Craftsman tool will not. I was talking to the service manager at
the Ford dealership last week and he told me that their mechanics don't get
a discount.

Mike
MU-2

Old March 2nd 04, 04:45 PM
TripFarmer

One thing, if I carry my tool kit, Murphy says I won't need it. But
watch out when I don't bring it!

Toilet Paper? )

Trip

Old March 2nd 04, 08:00 PM
John Galban

"Tom Sixkiller" wrote in message ...
"Michael Horowitz" wrote in message
What tools do you take along for a two day XC? - Mike

Hershey bars and nylons....and a small tool kit about the size of an
bathroom kit.

I didn't realize that there were any B-17 pilots left on this group :-)

John Galban=====N4BQ (PA28-180)