What tools do you take?

Old March 2nd 04, 10:49 PM
Dave Stadt

"G.R. Patterson III" wrote in message

Mike Rapoport wrote:

A little off topic, but how does *anyone* afford Snapon tools? Their

1/4
socket set is about $1100!

I'm with you on that. They had a tent at Osh a few years ago, and I priced

some
stuff. I decided that my old Craftsman and Mac tools are good enough after

all.

If you were to use Snap-on for a while you would understand the cost and
realize that Craftsman is pretty much in the crap category.

George Patterson
A diplomat is a person who can tell you to go to hell in such a way

that
you look forward to the trip.

Old March 2nd 04, 11:37 PM
Stu Gotts

On Tue, 02 Mar 2004 21:49:57 GMT, "Dave Stadt"
wrote:

If you were to use Snap-on for a while you would understand the cost and
realize that Craftsman is pretty much in the crap category.

No words more true have been spoken. The difference is when you need
to handle them for a living, you soon appreciate the quality. And
believe it or not, there are some nuts or bolts that will work better
by using a Snap-On. Face it, they couldn't stay in business with
those prices if they didn't have something! Ebay prices have been
reasonable as of late.

FYI - those "Kobalt" tools you can buy at Lowe's are manufactured by
Snap-On. So for some of you folks that can't see spending a fortune
on hand tools, you can get your stuff at a discount hardware store and
possibly have some quality, too.

Old March 3rd 04, 01:50 AM
G.R. Patterson III

Stu Gotts wrote:

FYI - those "Kobalt" tools you can buy at Lowe's are manufactured by
Snap-On. So for some of you folks that can't see spending a fortune
on hand tools, you can get your stuff at a discount hardware store and
possibly have some quality, too.

Good to know. I bought a decent set of sockets at Lowes last year, but they
aren't Kobalt.

Old March 3rd 04, 11:17 PM
bryan chaisone

"Tom Sixkiller" wrote
"but I did swallow one once."

Why man? Why?

Bryan "the monk" Chaisone
http://www.alexisparkinn.com/rogue's_gallery_a-h.htm#C

"Tom Sixkiller" wrote in message ...
"Mike Rapoport" wrote in message
link.net...

A little off topic, but how does *anyone* afford Snapon tools? Their 1/4
socket set is about $1100!

E-Gawd...I've got a 100 piece Craftsman set that's about 30 years old, that
I paid $60 for and still going strong. I never broke one, but I did swallow
one once.

Old March 4th 04, 06:10 AM
Tom Sixkiller

"bryan chaisone" wrote in message
om...
"Tom Sixkiller" wrote
"but I did swallow one once."

Why man? Why?

Bryan "the monk" Chaisone

It's a long stroy having to do with using trying to take extra sockets up on
a ladder...

Old March 4th 04, 02:16 PM
Bushy

"but I did swallow one once."
Why man? Why?

It's a long stroy having to do with using trying to take extra sockets up

on
a ladder...

At least it's not about your sex life........

;)

Bushy

Old March 4th 04, 04:46 PM
bryan chaisone

"Tom Sixkiller" wrote in message ...
"bryan chaisone" wrote in message
om...
"Tom Sixkiller" wrote
"but I did swallow one once."

Why man? Why?

Bryan "the monk" Chaisone

It's a long stroy having to do with using trying to take extra sockets up on
a ladder...

"Tom Sixkiller" wrote in message

E-Gawd...I've got a 100 piece Craftsman set that's about 30 years old,

that
I paid $60 for and still going strong. I never broke one, but I did

swallow
one once.

Oh, sounds like one of my brainier ideas to same time or limit the
trips that it would take to do something. I too are of the same
nature.

Bryan "the monk" Chaisone
Old March 6th 04, 12:12 AM
Bluejay

What tools do you take along for a two day XC? - Mike

List most things, "it depends".

What tools would you be prepared to use, if you had them? An experienced
mechanic might decide to carry tools that would be inappropriate (or
dangerous) in the hands of someone who hasn't learned yet which end of the
screwdriver to hit with the wrench.

How much weight do you have to work with? Those rivet sets can get
heavy... Related to that is the type of aircraft. A J3 will have
considerably different tool-use possibilities than your Gulfstream V.

Where will you be going? If you're going out into the wilderness, you
might want to take more tools (and parts!) than if you were going to be in
a major metro area.

(remove the i's to reply via email)

Old March 6th 04, 05:23 AM
bryan chaisone

Michael Horowitz wrote in message . ..
What tools do you take along for a two day XC? - Mike

If I was flying in Alaska, Thailand or Laos, maybe I would take a
shotgun. Did someone else all ready said that?

Bryan
Old March 6th 04, 04:36 PM
G.R. Patterson III

bryan chaisone wrote:

If I was flying in Alaska, Thailand or Laos, maybe I would take a
shotgun. Did someone else all ready said that?

I think I might prefer an AK-47 for Laos.