"Enhanced Security" at various airports....

Old August 17th 03, 12:44 AM
Dave Stadt

"Peter Gottlieb" wrote in message
. net...

"G.R. Patterson III" wrote in message

Peter Gottlieb wrote:

It's almost better to just let it run its course and get so

horrifically
bad
faster, so it affects more of the public sooner, and some brave leader
stands up and asks why we are hurting ourselves like this.

That strategy didn't work very well for the "war on drugs" insanity.

So what's to be done? Have we become a nation of sheep to be herded my
manipulative "leaders?"

Yep. Life according to soccer moms driving SUVs.

Old August 17th 03, 04:30 AM
Peter Gottlieb

Peter Gottlieb wrote:

It's almost better to just let it run its course and get so

horrifically
bad
faster, so it affects more of the public sooner, and some brave leader
stands up and asks why we are hurting ourselves like this.

That strategy didn't work very well for the "war on drugs" insanity.

Nor it's grandparent; prohibition.

But with the new police state mentality (matched by the new attitude in
business of the customer as enemy), aided by vastly improved tracking and
spying abilities, prohibition of "drugs," tobacco, and shortly to follow,
alcohol and guns, may just succeed. Of course, by then, it will be too
late.

Old August 17th 03, 09:06 AM
Tom S.

Peter Gottlieb wrote:

It's almost better to just let it run its course and get so

horrifically
bad
faster, so it affects more of the public sooner, and some brave

leader
stands up and asks why we are hurting ourselves like this.

That strategy didn't work very well for the "war on drugs" insanity.

Nor it's grandparent; prohibition.

But with the new police state mentality (matched by the new attitude in
business of the customer as enemy), aided by vastly improved tracking and
spying abilities, prohibition of "drugs," tobacco, and shortly to follow,
alcohol and guns, may just succeed. Of course, by then, it will be too
late.

Hate to alarm you, but I think it's already too late, and has been for a
couple generations.

U(P)SA - United Police States of America ??

Old August 17th 03, 12:47 PM
Bob Noel

In article . net,
"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote:

Unlikely. We can't even keep drugs out of prisons.

heck, some people can't even figure out why you would
want to keep drugs out of prisons.

--
Bob Noel
Old August 17th 03, 03:18 PM
Kyler Laird

"Dr. Anthony J. Lomenzo" writes:

I think they've given up on the drug war thing as a losing battle

If "they" give up on the drug war, it's just because they have new
jobs. The drug war was a way to keep a lot of people employed and
in power. The "war on terrorism" should be a decent substitute
for many.

I think it'll be a lot easier for power mongers to justify their
actions using the "war on terrorism" than the "war on drugs."

--kyler
Old August 17th 03, 03:46 PM
Teacherjh

the new culprit i which to go to
war is .... tobacco products.

In my view it's a little different, as my issue with smoking is that it is
smelly, obnoxious, filthy, and grossly inconsiderate., not only to those around
the smoker, but to those that will occupy the same space in the future (long in
the future if it's indoor). It has a big adverse aesthetic impact. I would be
pleased if smoking was banned for those reasons alone. However, if people want
to chew tobacco, or take it intravenously, I don't care.

However, we are bandying about this health thing like a mantra - another
example of society protecting us from ourselves, which makes me angry. If I
want to put MYSELF in danger, I should be able to. In fact, if I want to harm
myself, I should be able to. I should be able to choose my own risk vs.
benefit relationship and live with the consequences. Seat belt laws are
another example, and the fact that society pays for health care costs of those
that choose "wrong" does also enter into this. I could go on for many
paragraphs (but won't).

I have a lot of respect for the FAA regs inasmuch as they respect the idea that
pilots should be able to make their own (informed) risk vs. benefit decisions
on their own behalf. The rules are stricter as pilots make these decisions on
the behalf of others, as they should be. But from a safety point of view,
pilots have an enormous amount of discretion (and responsibility).

This security thing turns everything upside down. It takes advantage of the
fact that people are ill-informed, and don't really care about the consequences
of these decisions, to advance the political agenda of those in power. (have I
said anything new here? We're so afraid of our shadows that the most
effective thing terrorists could do now is throw shadows. It will shut us down
in a week.

Jose