We Are All Spaniards

Old March 14th 04, 12:57 AM
Jay Honeck

I don't see "hunting them down and killing them" as either feasible or
effective. For every one you kill, there are 10,000 more
waiting to take his place with greater fervor and comittment.

Well, Lee, I understand that the POTENTIAL for terrorism will always be with
us. That is a sad fact of life.

However, I will argue that the reality of terrorism can be crushed to a
large degree. Madrid is a wonderful case in point -- did you see the
demonstrations today? Millions of Spaniards have now come to hate and
despise the terrorists worse than ever before -- a reaction that is
diametrically opposed to what the terrorists sought.

When it becomes obvious that their barbaric tactics have accomplished
precisely nothing -- AND they are picked off, one by one, and are jailed or
dead -- then (and only then) will terrorism cease to be a significant
threat.

To think otherwise plays completely into the terrorist's hands.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old March 14th 04, 01:01 AM
S Green

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
There is a point at which financial costs become limits on personal

freedoms.
Perhaps not for you, but for many. And then, soon, even for you.

So, your alternatives are...what? Declare victory and come home? Give

the
terrorists what they want? (Whatever that is?)

It was this kind of thinking that gave the world Hitler, Tojo, Stalin,

Mao,
Pol Pot, Idi Amin, Saddam...

We need to close ranks on the issue of terrorism, both nationally and
internationally, or the terrorists have already won.

Like the closing in of the ranks against Irish terrorism? Americans were the
biggest funders of the Irish terrorists along with Col Gadaffi.

Old March 14th 04, 01:05 AM
S Green

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
[...]

Terrorist / freedom two sides of the same coin.

The world is full of them - and it is totally dependent on which end of the
telescope you look out from.

After all were not the founding fathers terrorists seeking to overthrow the
legitimate government?

Old March 14th 04, 01:08 AM
Steven P. McNicoll

"John Harlow" wrote in message

Finally a sensible statment. Sorry, Jay, as much as I wish it weren't so,
you could spend every dollar in the world on fighting terrorism (just like
the "drug war") and you won't wipe it out.

Why not?

Old March 14th 04, 01:09 AM
Steven P. McNicoll

"S Green" wrote in message

After all were not the founding fathers terrorists seeking to overthrow

the
legitimate government?

Seeking to overthrow the legitimate government? Yes. Terrorists? No.

Old March 14th 04, 01:11 AM
S Green

Incidentally, someone's informed me that the attack in Spain was 911 days
after "911". I haven't bothered to do the maths, but it's apparently only
911days if you include the time difference in the calculation. (911 x 24hrs
previously at that time of day was 11/09/01 in NY).

Old March 14th 04, 01:16 AM
Larry Dighera

On Sat, 13 Mar 2004 23:12:05 GMT, "Steven P. McNicoll"
wrote in Message-Id:
. net:

There's no point where the terrorists will realize their tactics will not
yield their desired result?

In my opinion, it is a very helpful (and in some instances quite
necessary) virtue to be able to take criticism even if it is offensive
or insulting. In fact, even the most offensive criticism might (and
hopefully does!) contain insights that are valuable, and by
disregarding the entire criticism, you are throwing away that
insight. You may not like it, but it sometimes does pay to listen to
a person that is not as friendly as you'd like her to be.
-- Tobias Dussa
Old March 14th 04, 01:20 AM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Larry Dighera" wrote in message

In my opinion, it is a very helpful (and in some instances quite
necessary) virtue to be able to take criticism even if it is offensive
or insulting. In fact, even the most offensive criticism might (and
hopefully does!) contain insights that are valuable, and by
disregarding the entire criticism, you are throwing away that
insight. You may not like it, but it sometimes does pay to listen to
a person that is not as friendly as you'd like her to be.
-- Tobias Dussa

That's swell, but what's it got to do with my message?

Old March 14th 04, 01:26 AM
Rosspilot

Millions of Spaniards have now come to hate and
despise the terrorists worse than ever before -- a reaction that is
diametrically opposed to what the terrorists sought.

I don't agree, Jay. I doubt the perpetrators of the explosions in Madrid give
a damn what the Spaniards think of them. Do you think they expected their
actions to endear them?

www.Rosspilot.com

Old March 14th 04, 02:09 AM
Larry Dighera

On Sun, 14 Mar 2004 00:20:21 GMT, "Steven P. McNicoll"
wrote in Message-Id:
. net:

That's swell, but what's it got to do with my message?

Oops. Wrong quote.

That should have been:

wrote in Message-Id:
. net:

There's no point where the terrorists will realize their tactics
will not yield their desired result?

Irrational beliefs ultimately lead to irrational acts.
-- Larry Dighera,

Your question implies rational thought. Oh well... :-(