Need help with Garmin 196 data transfer (long)

Old March 14th 05, 09:18 PM
RNR

Default Need help with Garmin 196 data transfer (long)

I have owned a Garmin 196 for several years and have succesfully
upgraded the system software and the aviation database a number of
times. The newly available obstacle database piqued my interest and I
attempted to upgrade my system software which is required for the
obstacle database.

I was unable to complete this process. My first step was to attempt
to download my routes and waypoints to Mapsource to preserve them. My
computer would recognize the gps and I could begin the download
process. After about 10 seconds I would get a message informing me
that the gps was not detected and suggesting that I check my transfer
protocols, make sure the gps is turned on and something else that I
cannot remember but was irrelevant. I tried this procedure on a
second computer that I have which has also been successfully used in
this manner before.

My gps has the beta system software V3.92 (I think that's the correct
number). The only change that has been made to either computer since
the last succesfull system upgrade is the installation of Norton
Antivirus 2005. I disabled the autoprotect feature, which did not
help.

Here are my questions. Has anyone who is running the beta software
trried to upgrade to the new 4.0? Has anyone had any data transfer
issues with the beta software? This software works fine in every
other respect so I don't have any reason to believe that it is the
culprit here, but I'm not prepared to rule it out. I don't have an
alternate data cable to try, but I would be very surprised if the
cable is bad. It seems well constructed and I can find continuity
through the four pins that connect to the gps. Could Norton be the
problem somehow? I know that Mapsource isn't the problem because I
tried to go to the Garmin site and upgrade the system without saving
my routes and waypoints and it failed in the same manner.

I would greatly appreciate any help that anyone be able to offer. I
have emailed Garmin tech support (last week) but have not heard from
them yet. Thanks.
Rich Russell
Old March 15th 05, 05:17 AM
Morgans

"RNR" wrote

Could Norton be the problem somehow?

Rich Russell

No doubt. uninstall all of it and try again. You may need to do a
reinstall of your OS, or at least a repair, if you have that option. Norton
messes with registry and an uninstall is not guarantied to fix it.

Best advice? Get AVG. It is free, and has never caused a conflict like the
two big player antiviral companies have cost me.
--
Jim in NC

Old March 15th 05, 11:52 AM
Ted Lindgreen

In article ,
RNR wrote:
I was unable to complete this process. My first step was to attempt
to download my routes and waypoints to Mapsource to preserve them. My
computer would recognize the gps and I could begin the download
process. After about 10 seconds I would get a message informing me
that the gps was not detected and suggesting that I check my transfer
protocols, make sure the gps is turned on and something else that I

Yes have seen that a few times, both with my own Garmin 196 and
with one of a college. Problem is a screwed-up route in the GPS.

The quick workaround is to delete all routes in the GPS, you'll
find that transferring waypoints and tracks will work after that
(of course: you have lost you routes :-( ).

What exactly is the proble, I do not know, but I have tried to
communicate a number of times with Garmin about it. Without
success though. (Garmin is always polite, but seldom helpful).

My gps has the beta system software V3.92 (I think that's the correct

After upgrading from V3.92 you you will probably find that your
196 is reset to factory-settings, so saving waypoints is important
before upgrading.

Regards,
-- ted
Old March 15th 05, 01:40 PM
RNR

On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 23:17:59 -0500, "Morgans"
wrote:

"RNR" wrote

Could Norton be the problem somehow?

Rich Russell

No doubt. uninstall all of it and try again. You may need to do a
reinstall of your OS, or at least a repair, if you have that option. Norton
messes with registry and an uninstall is not guarantied to fix it.

Best advice? Get AVG. It is free, and has never caused a conflict like the
two big player antiviral companies have cost me.

Thanks. Not what I was hoping to hear but not surprising.
Old March 15th 05, 01:44 PM
RNR

On 15 Mar 2005 11:52:22 +0100, (Ted Lindgreen)
wrote:

In article ,
RNR wrote:
[...]

Thanks. I never would have considered the routes to be the "route" of
the problem, but it's certainly worth a try. Tonight I'll sacrifice
my routes and see if I can move on from there. Keeping my fingers
crossed.
Rich Russell
Old March 16th 05, 02:06 PM
RNR

On 15 Mar 2005 11:52:22 +0100, (Ted Lindgreen)
wrote:

In article ,
RNR wrote:
[...]

Ted,

Many, many thanks to you. I deleted my routes and then the machine
performed as advertised. I have no idea why this would be,
particularly since I haven't added any new routes since my last system
update, but it did definitely work. After the fact, I was sorry that
I didn't delete them one at a time to try to find the offending route
but it's too late for that now. I was able to preserve my waypoints.
Thanks again.
Rich Russell
Old March 17th 05, 08:11 AM

What would be the best (freeware-) software to restore/download userdefined
waypoints (aviationbased) from Garmin 196. Do I have to buy MapSource? Is
MapSource roadbased only?

thank you for advice.

Harald

Old March 17th 05, 08:37 AM
Peter

TH wrote:

What would be the best (freeware-) software to restore/download userdefined
waypoints (aviationbased) from Garmin 196.

For just filing and restoring waypoints, routes, and/or tracklogs, I'd
recommend the freeware G7toWIN:
http://www.gpsinformation.org/ronh/

To see where those waypoints are on topo maps or aerial photo views in
the US, I'd recommend USAPhotoMaps:
http://jdmcox.com
Example:
http://home.comcast.net/~prathman/Screen02.jpg

Do I have to buy MapSource?

No, the main function of MapSource is for loading maps to your GPS
although it will handle waypoints/routes/trackpoints as well.

Is
MapSource roadbased only?

No, there are topo maps and marine charts as well as roadmaps.

Pirep: Garmin GPSMAP 296 versus 295. (very long) Jon Woellhaf Piloting 12 September 4th 04 11:55 PM
garmin 296 Robert M. Gary Piloting 12 June 17th 04 10:14 PM
Garmin GNS 530/430 spare data cards David R. Owning 1 March 11th 04 01:47 AM
Ice meteors, climate, sceptics Brian Sandle General Aviation 43 February 24th 04 01:27 AM
Garmin 90 Database Updates Discontinued Val Christian Piloting 14 August 20th 03 09:32 PM