Obstacle avoidance between take-off and airway

Old January 12th 08, 09:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Mxsmanic

Default Obstacle avoidance between take-off and airway

Yesterday I tried to plan a flight from Big Bear City (California) to Santa
Monica, in a Bonanza. The routing I worked out was L35..DAWNA.V8.PDZ.V186
TIFNI.ELMOO.DARTS..KSMO. DAWNA is on a portion of the airway that shows a MEA
of 10500 on the chart. Since I was westbound, I figured to climb to 12000. I
planned to depart from runway 26. My calculations showed that the Bonanza
could carry out this climb.

My question is: How do I make sure that I don't hit anything between the
runway and the first fix on my filed route? The ODP for Big Bear only gives
details for runway 8, and says "N/A" for runway 26. The only departure
procedure is an obstacle departure, also for runway 8. So what's the proper
way for me to plan a flight so that I don't run into anything between the time
I leave runway 26 and the time I reach DAWNA? Should I use a VFR sectional?
Is there something on en-route IFR charts that I'm missing? Did I overlook
something in the Instrument Procedures Handbook (it seems surprisingly vague
on this)?
Old January 13th 08, 01:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

On Sat, 12 Jan 2008 22:13:08 +0100, Mxsmanic
wrote:

[...]

I don't have the plate in front of me. Sounds like there is no ifr
procedure off runway 26, so there is no way to be sure of obstacles
without using a vfr sectional as you say. Personally I don't know of
anyone who has used a vfr sectional in ifr conditions, and I don't
think I ever would. Of course, you could fly visually if weather
permitted. Stan

Old January 13th 08, 02:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Sam Spade

Mxsmanic wrote:
[...]

Why would you think the Instrument Procedures Handbook seems
surprisingly vague in this regard? It is about approved IFR procedures,
not "rolling your own" obstacle clearance procedures. When an IFR
airport has IFR takeoff minimums on one or more runways, but not on
other runways (or runway) the FAA has determined that IFR departure on
the runway "NA" is unsafe.

So, if you use that runway without adequate visual reference you are on
your own and in highly risky territory.

The wise course of action would be to depart Runway 8, performance
permitting.
Old January 13th 08, 05:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Sam Spade

Mxsmanic wrote:

[...]

Oops! My bad. I didn't look carefull and thought I was responding to a
pilot.
Old January 13th 08, 06:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Kevin Clarke

Mxsmanic wrote:
[...]

To get the extra altitude, carry your computer to the 2nd floor and plug
it in.

KC
Old January 13th 08, 08:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Mxsmanic

Sam Spade writes:

Why would you think the Instrument Procedures Handbook seems
surprisingly vague in this regard?

I figured IFR would leave no detail uncovered, but I was unable to find
specific instructions on what to do in the handbook.
Old January 13th 08, 08:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Mxsmanic

Viperdoc writes:

Any pilot with an instrument rating should know the answer. Anyone else can
look it up.

Any pilot knows all about aviation; anyone else can look it up. Therefore
this newsgroup serves no purpose.
Old January 13th 08, 08:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Kevin Clarke

Mxsmanic wrote:
Viperdoc writes:

Any pilot with an instrument rating should know the answer. Anyone else can
look it up.

Any pilot knows all about aviation; anyone else can look it up. Therefore
this newsgroup serves no purpose.

take your toxicity back to r.a.p. I quit reading that one. I worked hard
for my IFR and personally don't need or want you or your inane bull****
fantasy world here. Just go away.

KC
Old January 13th 08, 08:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Sam Spade

Mxsmanic wrote:
Sam Spade writes:

Why would you think the Instrument Procedures Handbook seems
surprisingly vague in this regard?

I figured IFR would leave no detail uncovered, but I was unable to find
specific instructions on what to do in the handbook.

What part of "Not Authorized" doesn't your mousetrap brain understand?
Old January 14th 08, 02:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Mxsmanic

Sam Spade writes:

What part of "Not Authorized" doesn't your mousetrap brain understand?

Ah ... I thought NA meant not applicable. It makes more sense now.