Complex endorsement question

Old February 23rd 08, 03:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
john

Default Complex endorsement question

I already have a high-performance sign-off with several hours in a
C182 and a couple in a Bonanza. I have found a couple of places which
rent a C172RG for a reasonable price. My goal is to be get my
commercial and I'm starting to work on my IFR. With that in mind, I'm
looking at taking at least part of the IFR training in the 172RG.

How many hours does it normally take to get a sign-off and what
training will involved in getting it? To ask it a different way, what
differences will I need to learn other than the the max gear down
speed and remembering to lower the gear? I know the high performance
retracts means flying a more slipperly airplane which means the need
to plan altitude and speed for the landing a lot further in advance
than a fixed gear.. (at least that was the case with the Bonanza).

thanks,

John
Old February 23rd 08, 04:25 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Robert M. Gary

On Feb 22, 7:19*pm, john wrote:
I already have a high-performance sign-off with several hours in a
C182 and a couple in a Bonanza. *I have found a couple of places which
rent a C172RG for a reasonable price. *My goal is to be get my
commercial and I'm starting to work on my IFR. *With that in mind, I'm
looking at taking at least part of the IFR training in the 172RG.

If you are working on your commercial the complex will just come with
it. The sign of for complex is really about being able to handle more
systems at once.

-Robert, CFII
Old February 23rd 08, 05:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
john

Thanks for the information. I'm considering it for a few reasons -
1) An older 172RG is renting cheaper than a newer 172. ($110 compared
with $114).
2) Getting a commerical is one thing, but insurance and job
requirements will usually require more than just the 10 hrs required
for the commercial.
3) X-C trips are nicer during the times when I want to get somewhere a
little faster.
4) Not as many pilots rent the RG. Most renters are student pilots,
or pilots just out having fun and aren't interested in an older model.
(No auto-pilot or panel GPS???). As a result, it is more likely to be
available when I want to fly.

Old February 23rd 08, 05:35 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

john wrote:
I already have a high-performance sign-off with several hours in a
C182 and a couple in a Bonanza. I have found a couple of places which
rent a C172RG for a reasonable price. My goal is to be get my
commercial and I'm starting to work on my IFR. With that in mind, I'm
looking at taking at least part of the IFR training in the 172RG.

How many hours does it normally take to get a sign-off and what
training will involved in getting it? To ask it a different way, what
differences will I need to learn other than the the max gear down
speed and remembering to lower the gear? I know the high performance
retracts means flying a more slipperly airplane which means the need
to plan altitude and speed for the landing a lot further in advance
than a fixed gear.. (at least that was the case with the Bonanza).

Depends.

The local FBO requires 5 hours dual for a complex sign-off and
permission to fly their airplanes solo.

Part of that is their insurance requirement.

Basically, it is operate the engine controls properly along with gear
normal and emergency operations along with a bunch of landings and
takeoffs to see if you do it all correctly.

--
Jim Pennino

Remove .spam.sux to reply.
Old February 23rd 08, 10:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mortimer Schnerd, RN[_2_]

Stan Prevost wrote:
I've never flown a 172RG. Does it have a variable pitch prop?

It's a mini C-210... in everything but carrying capacity. Retractable gear,
constant speed prop, cowl flaps, rudder trim. I always thought they were nice
flying and they're quicker than a normal C-172. Given the OP's choices between
the older RG and the newer SP, I'd pick the RG every time... unless one's a dog
and the other one isn't. But a RG in good condition is good flying.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com

Old February 23rd 08, 04:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
BT

if he's flying solo in the Bonanza... then he should already have a complex
endorsement.
yes, part of the Commercial PTS does require a complex aircraft.. but the
endorsement does not come with the check ride

Old February 23rd 08, 04:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
john

The Bonanza was with an instructor, and in order to rent it solo, the
insurance requires 500 hrs total, IFR cert, and 50 hrs in type. It
will be awhile before I fly it solo. I would have to check, but I
think the insurance requirements on his C337s are less strict.

Old February 23rd 08, 05:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_24_]

"Mortimer Schnerd, RN" mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com wrote in
:

Stan Prevost wrote:
I've never flown a 172RG. Does it have a variable pitch prop?

It's a mini C-210... in everything but carrying capacity. Retractable
gear, constant speed prop, cowl flaps, rudder trim. I always thought
they were nice flying and they're quicker than a normal C-172. Given
the OP's choices between the older RG and the newer SP, I'd pick the
RG every time... unless one's a dog and the other one isn't. But a RG
in good condition is good flying.

?? Really? I flew a few of them brand new from the factory and wondered why
they bothered.

Bertie
Old February 23rd 08, 05:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_24_]

"BT" wrote in :

if he's flying solo in the Bonanza... then he should already have a
complex endorsement.
yes, part of the Commercial PTS does require a complex aircraft.. but
the endorsement does not come with the check ride

IIRC the horsepower requirement for the commercial is 180 while the
watershed for high performance horsepower is 200. A pilot needs to be
signed off for each aspect of the high performance reg. We used to have to
sign guys off for Stearmans, for example, but only for the HP restriction.

Bertie

tailwheel endorsement Jose Piloting 65 April 27th 06 01:59 AM
TW Endorsement Completed [email protected] Piloting 7 May 9th 05 12:00 AM
Marfa Endorsement Robert de León Soaring 0 April 12th 04 06:01 PM
Complex Aircraft Question Chris General Aviation 5 October 18th 03 04:40 AM
Complex aircraft question Robert M. Gary Piloting 5 October 17th 03 12:25 PM