SeeYou Mobile with SN10B data

Old October 29th 08, 10:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

Default SeeYou Mobile with SN10B data

On Oct 29, 1:14*pm, gen wrote:
Very interesting discussion. I myself use SN10 + PDA(SeeYou). Besides
what have been mentioned, SeeYou also leaves traces which are useful
to come back at exactly the same place in wave, etc.

I think the original question is easy to answer.. You can buy
everything you need to make the cable at Radio Shack for less than
$10, so just go for it and see if you like it.

-Gen

The original question was likely answered the other way. I read that
Kirk specifically wanted wanted to see the benefit of ehnanced wind/
air data for SeeYou - then don't bother as there is no enhanced data
communicated. You can just stay with a separate GPS source for the
PDA. There may be other benefits of communicating Mc. etc settings
however that was not the question.

Darryl
Old October 30th 08, 11:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ole John Aske

gen wrote:
Very interesting discussion. I myself use SN10 + PDA(SeeYou). Besides
what have been mentioned, SeeYou also leaves traces which are useful
to come back at exactly the same place in wave, etc.

I think the original question is easy to answer.. You can buy
everything you need to make the cable at Radio Shack for less than
$10, so just go for it and see if you like it.

-Gen

I actually modified my SN10B, Volksloger, PDA cabling two years ago in
order to get SN10 Data into my PDA - This turned ut to be a big waste of
time!

The problem was that SN10 also appended its own pressure altitude data
to the NMEA data stream together with the pressure altitude data from
the Volkslogger. These two pressure altitude data may typically differ
by at least 100meter.

While flying close to the upper airspace boundary, it was totally random
if SeeYou used the Volkslogger or the SN10 altitude to calculate an
airspace warning. This resulted in lots of false warnings when the SN10
produced a higher altitude reading than the Volkslogger, and a single
time resulted in a airspace violation when the SN10 decided that I was
lower than the Volkslogger logged.

Most of the time it was only pure annoying - I decided to rip out the
new cabling at the last annual.

Ole John Aske, Ls8T
Old October 30th 08, 03:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kirk.stant

Thanks for all the feedback. I'm happy with my current SN10/PDA
setup, just looking for small enhancements. I currently have both
setup totally independent of each other, with separate GPS sources
(and even separate batteries). I'm considering on adding a GPS
splitter to allow either GPS to drive the PDA, for redundancy, so
while at it was wondering if the SN10 vario/altitude inputs would
enhance SeeYouMobile (don't really care about wind - they already
match pretty closely, and the SN10 works just fine for that).
Thinking mainly about the vario and final glide functions.

JJ, yeah, I know this is probably overkill, but it's fun (and PDAs are
cheap) and I've lost single systems on long flights before. Nice to
have a backup...

For Dave: How about updating how the SN10 handles USA start/finish
rules? And since now an AST is essentially an AAT with 1 mile areas
and no time limit, how about combining the two to get rid of the need
to go to the SETUP menu to create or change an AAT task? And figure
final glide to the finish circle (i.e. 500' at one mile), not the
finish turnpoint/airport (I can use the alternate page for that)?

And PLEASE, get rid of those annoying announcements ("You have entered
the start/turn/finish circle, press HELP to continue") - I know that!
If no action is necessary, then either let me choose to not see those
"info" announcements, or make them go away on their own after a few
seconds, without any button pushes.

Last request: Display digital altitude to the nearest 10 feet. That
is the convention used in all the current civil and military digital
avionics displays, for a good reason - the rapidly changing single
feet (or meter) digits are distracting and serve no useful purpose -
and can even make the altitude trend hard to see. Input altitudes to
the nearest feet is fine, just round off the final glide altitude
needed and current altitude displays to the nearest 10 feet. Trust
me, try it, you'll like it!

Cheers!

Kirk
SN10 user for the past 8 years and loving it.
Old October 30th 08, 04:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Falk Rüth

Hi John,

you can solve this problem by deactivating the $PGCS1 NMEA sentence at
the Volkslogger. Then Seeyou gets pressure height data only from SN10 an
position data from Volkslogger.

Falk

--
Falk Rüth
K6-Team

http://www.k6-team.de
Old October 30th 08, 04:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JJ Sinclair

I'm considering on adding a GPS
splitter to allow either GPS to drive the PDA, for redundancy,

Roger that, only I'm considering a switch that would allow me to
select either one of my 2 GPS's to drive the SN10. The thing is worse
than usless if the GPS signal is lost.............it keeps providing
info back to where the GPS stopped giving inputs. Am I correct in
assuming I can send the red and white wires from both Model 20 GPS's
to the SN10 with the NMEA signal (red) going to a SPDT switch with one
GPS (red) input on the top and the other GPS (red) on the bottom of
this "selector" switch?

Dave, Roger on Kirk's requests for SN10 updates......... "your inside
the start cylinder" and "you have a good start" can drive me nuts as I
loiter near the edge of the gate. Maybe have these alerts go away in a
few seconds.
JJ
Old October 31st 08, 03:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Richard[_1_]

On Oct 28, 2:44*pm, JJ Sinclair wrote:
I use the 'options' page on my SN10, keep it set on the nearest
landable field (and next nearest landable). What it tells me is
exactly what I need to know, distance and altitude needed to get
there. No need to be looking at a sectional. When I ask the local PDA
drivers, simple questions like; how long you been on course or what's
your speed so far.................their stumpen dor an answer! Guess
what I should be asking is; What are you looking for in a PDA that
isn't already on your SN10?
JJ

JJ,

You must asked have asked local uninformed PDA drivers. With
mearly one click of the wand.

SeeYou Mobile has a very informative page that shows the following:

The statistics page gives you detailed information on Thermals and the
flight. To change the content of the statistics pane, tap on it to
switch between
.. Flight statistics
.. Task statistics
.. last 60 minutes statistics

Thermals panel graphically displays the last four thermals where the
left most is newest. At the top of each bar you can see the Thermal
average. The height of each bar represents the entrance and departure
from each thermal relative to the other four. The number on the right
is average for the last four thermals. Use it for your MacCready
setting if you wish.

Flight statistics gives averages for the Lift, Average speed, Distance
flown, circling percentage and duration of flight. Distance is the
same as Optimized distance in the "Opt" navbox.
Task statistics gives averages achieved since the start of the
Declared task.
Last 60 minutes statistics gives averages achieved on the Declared
task or the Optimized task in the last hour.

Richard,
www.craggyaero.com

Old October 31st 08, 03:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Oct 27, 1:35 pm, "kirk.stant" wrote:
Does anyone have any experience driving SeeYouMobile from an SN10B,
using both the GPS data and the vario/wind/air data that the SN10 can
now transmit to a PDA?

Wondering if it is worth the trouble to have a new SN10 wiring harness
made to work with my PDA.

TIA,

Kirk
66

Kirk,

I use seeyoumobile with an sn-10b. I also have the cable that supports
the supplemental info from the sn-10 into seeyoumobile. Since I went
with the new cable the seeyou wind calc seems to be in better
agreement than in the past when using the gps data alone. However, I
always rely on the final glide calc from the sn-10 so the possible
increase in accuracy in seeyoumobile is of limited value to me. I
would only go with the new cabling if you were already planning to
make a change behind the panel.

Regards,

XJ
Old October 31st 08, 05:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

On Oct 31, 7:29*am, wrote:
[...]

Well that must be a special cable indeed (maybe made by Placebo, Inc.?
I hear their stuff really works great). Have a re-read of this thread.

Darryl
Old October 31st 08, 06:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kirk.stant

Kirk,

I use seeyoumobile with an sn-10b. I also have the cable that supports
the supplemental info from the sn-10 into seeyoumobile. Since I went
with the new cable the seeyou wind calc seems to be in better
agreement than in the past when using the gps data alone. However, I
always rely on the final glide calc from the sn-10 so the possible
increase in accuracy in seeyoumobile is of limited value to me. I
would only go with the new cabling if you were already planning to
make a change behind the panel.

Regards,

XJ

XJ, how about the thermal information? Thermal history, centering
page, etc? Does that appear to be more useful than the GPS-derived
information?

Kirk
Old October 31st 08, 07:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Oct 31, 1:07 pm, "kirk.stant" wrote:
Kirk,

I use seeyoumobile with an sn-10b. I also have the cable that supports
the supplemental info from the sn-10 into seeyoumobile. Since I went
with the new cable the seeyou wind calc seems to be in better
agreement than in the past when using the gps data alone. However, I
always rely on the final glide calc from the sn-10 so the possible
increase in accuracy in seeyoumobile is of limited value to me. I
would only go with the new cabling if you were already planning to
make a change behind the panel.

Regards,

XJ

XJ, how about the thermal information? Thermal history, centering
page, etc? Does that appear to be more useful than the GPS-derived
information?

Kirk

Kirk,

Sorry, I haven't used the seeyou thermal features enough to comment on
them.

XJ