CFI in IMC with Student

Old December 10th 05, 02:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Default CFI in IMC with Student

: I haven't read the regs lately, but do they specifically require
: simulated instrument flight in order to count?

No... you could do all your IFR training in actual conditions. It *does*
require that the dual you get is from a CFII, however. That's not to say you cannot
get dual instruction in IMC from a CFI as the OP suggested... just that it cannot
count it towards the dual required for an IR. Now there's an alphabet soup...

-Cory

* Cory Papenfuss *

Old December 10th 05, 04:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Having a CFII provides 3 additional priv over a regular CFI

1) Ability to provide the 15 hours dual required for an instrument
rating
2) Ability to provide IPCs
3) Ability to provide type rating training not limited to VFR.

Other than that, everything else is just a CFI. I try to take my
private students in IMC at least once. It provides two things 1)
Understanding of what its really like and 2) Better, more realistic,
discussions on outs.

-Robert

Old December 10th 05, 04:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

The CFI (or CFII) only must hold CFI priv's in the aircraft in order to
log it as dual. So a CFI, non MEI cannot log dual in a twin. The
language of the FARs reads "within the limitations of the certificate".

-robert

Old December 12th 05, 02:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

A Lieberman wrote:
On Fri, 09 Dec 2005 22:37:06 -0500, Roy Smith wrote:

To be honest, though, if your level of experience is such that you talk
about "circular approaches", I have to wonder if you're in a position to be
passing judgment on other people's instrument flying.

I second this thought..... Minimums are there for a reason. Now if the
original poster said the instructor went below minimums, then he would have
reason to question him.

For me, there is nothing more magical then breaking out at minimums.

If you go to
http://www.archive.org/details/ALieb...pproachintoMBO and
download the video, this is a clip of one my circle to land approaches down
to minimums.

Nice video. Was that the stall horn I heard chirping on your
base-to-final turn? (2:05 and 2:11 in the video). Does that typically
happen?

Old December 12th 05, 02:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

In article ,
Jay Somerset wrote:

It's certainly legal, but can the student count it as "Instrument
Instruction" when adding up the number of required hours before the
checkride? I think not.

You are correct -- they cannot. One of the few things you get with the II
is the ability to have your instruction count towards the required hours of
instruction for the instrument rating.
Old December 12th 05, 11:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

On 2005-12-12, Jay Somerset wrote:
It's certainly legal, but can the student count it as "Instrument
Instruction" when adding up the number of required hours before the
checkride? I think not.

Even if the CFI was a CFII, the primary student's instrument experience
would not apply to the instrument rating requirements. Would it apply
to the private "flight by reference to instruments" or whatever it's
called? Why not? Part of my private pilot "hood time" was in actual.

--
Ben Jackson

http://www.ben.com/
Old December 13th 05, 12:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

On 2005-12-12, Jay Somerset wrote:

It's certainly legal, but can the student count it as "Instrument
Instruction" when adding up the number of required hours before the
checkride? I think not.

Even if the CFI was a CFII, the primary student's instrument experience
would not apply to the instrument rating requirements. Would it apply
to the private "flight by reference to instruments" or whatever it's
called? Why not? Part of my private pilot "hood time" was in actual.

Flight experience doesnt expire. If the time is dual given by a CFII,
then that time is loggable towards the eventual completion of an
instrument rating. There is no limitation on the Instrument Instruction
given by an authorized instructor based on the "student" pilot rating or
lack therof.

If your CFI for your private was a CFII as well, that time does count
for instrument instruction. If not, it counts for instrument
experience/training/hood time/whatever name you want to put on the
category. Given that MOST pilots require more than the bare minimums to
earn endorsement as proficient, those 3 hours as a private probably wont
be a deal breaker.

In my case, I have instrument experience and instruction that nearly
completes the requirements for an instrument rating. Its also nearly 4
years old. I wont be starting over, but when all the time is added up
when I finally restart and get the rating, it wont be anywheres near the
minimum required hours.

Dave