Graphical NOTAMs (not just TFRs)

Old February 10th 06, 10:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default Graphical NOTAMs (not just TFRs)

Gig 601XL Builder wrote:
You need to put some type of liability verbiage on the site ASAP.

God, what a pathetic society we live in...

Happy Flying!(if that's possible without getting sued)
Scott Skylane
Old February 11th 06, 12:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

wrote

Yup, it looks like a bug.

It locked up my old slow machine, but just before it did, it did post a
solution for DC - for about 3 seconds; then the "program not responding,
will be shut down" box came up, and it closed your site's window.
--
Jim in NC

Old February 11th 06, 01:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

wrote in message
oups.com...
That's an excellent and sobering point Gig. Thanks for reminding me
about that aspect. I'm taking a legal risk anyway in even having the
site in the first place, which is a shame because I believe fear of
liability is enforcing the status quo in all aspects of aviation. It's
something I have to consider when evaluating possible features.

Thanks Gig

Perhaps you could put the "filtered" notams up on the map, but make them
somewhat "transparent," or a different color that would still show up, but
be barely noticeable.
--
Jim in NC

Old February 11th 06, 04:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On Fri, 10 Feb 2006 11:17:44 -0600, Gig 601XL Builder wrote:

I wouldn't be too quick to filter the NOTAMS. I realize that you SHOULD be
creating no liability for your self by creating the site (which is pretty
cool by the way) every lawyer and jury in the land might not think so. If
someone gets a NOTAM report from your site and filters something out, like
an out of surface tower light, and then runs into the tower you might be
left hanging in the wind.

well, you can workaraound by using checkboxes:
[ ] hide reports about tower lights
[ ] don't show me where the prez is
[ ] ...

#m
--
We reject Gilmore’s right to travel argument because the Constitution does
not guarantee the right to travel by any particular form of transportation.
Old February 11th 06, 01:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

wrote in message ups.com...
That sounds great! Currently I'm based at OSU in Columbus Ohio.
Although I started my training two years ago in Louisville, KY (LOU) at
Bowman Field.

Go Bucks!

Old February 11th 06, 04:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

("Martin Hotze" wrote)
if the rock is big enough you are doing a good thing hitting the lawyer.

Jesus sees an angry mob stoning a poor wretched woman. He stands in front of
the mob and asks why are they stoning this woman? The mob replies - she's a
prostitute.

Jesus holds out his hands and says, Let ye who is without sin cast the first
stone (or something like that). A hush comes over the angry mob.

Just then, a huge rock comes flying out from the back of the pack - hits the
woman in the head, she falls down dead. Jesus shakes his head in
disgust..."Mother, stop doing that!"

Montblack

Old February 11th 06, 06:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

I've entered "SAC" and "Sacramento" and keep getting the same image of
Columbus... Am I missing something?

Best Regards,
Todd

I've just made an update to the site, NOTAMs for Sacramento and the
surrounding area should now show up. Thanks to Todd for finding the bug
early on and notifying me about it!

BTW, the NOTAMs for Sacramento are pretty interesting, it looks like
they're doing Hurricane research in the Pacific.

http://www.notduats.com/notam.aspx?search=SAC&radius=20

Pat

Old February 11th 06, 06:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

It locked up my old slow machine, but just before it did, it did post a
solution for DC - for about 3 seconds; then the "program not responding,
will be shut down" box came up, and it closed your site's window.
--
Jim in NC

Hey Jim, I apologize for your first experience with the site being
pretty bad. Can you tell me what OS, Internet browser and version
you were using? I'd like to know so I can run some tests and see what
might be causing the problem.

BTW, thanks for your comments about the filtering. It's a pretty hot
topic apparently.

Pat

Old February 11th 06, 06:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

What is really, really sad is the fact that when I clicked on the Washington, DC URL, three of the four the ads at the bottom of the page were for aviation law firms.

Yeah that's pretty weird, the Google's ad algorithms can be pretty
spooky. They rotate automatically based on what the content of the
page.

And per their Terms of Service, I think that's about all I can really
say about them.

Pat