why not all gps?

Old October 4th 06, 06:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
nrp

Default why not all gps?

Am I the only owner without a GPS of any kind?

No - and that means we won't be able to receive any of these gps
jamming signals either...

Old October 4th 06, 08:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Jay Beckman

"Robert M. Gary" wrote in message
oups.com...
Walk down the ramp and tell me how many aircraft you see have IFR
certified GPSs. I'd be surprised if you came back with something more
than 5%.

-Robert

Of course, if you go out on the ramp, you'll be at least hassled if not shot
as a security risk...

Just sayin'

Jay Beckman
PP-ASEL
Chandler, AZ

Old October 4th 06, 08:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Andrew Gideon

I don't understand why GPS navigators (esp. panel mounts) only use GPS
data for navigation. The question is esp. strong in the case of units,
like the Garmin 430/530, which also include a VOR receiver.

Why not have a navigator use multiple sensors? The unit could report on
RNP available, which would be higher given WAAS and lower if only VOR (or
LORAN) signals were available.

- Andrew

Old October 4th 06, 08:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Andrew Gideon

On Wed, 04 Oct 2006 09:16:31 -0700, Robert M. Gary wrote:

Walk down the ramp and tell me how many aircraft you see have IFR
certified GPSs. I'd be surprised if you came back with something more than
5%.

Which ramp? The one by the FBO? Probably[1]. The one used by private
owners? Not so sure. I probably know 5% of the aircraft on the ramp
where my partnership keeps two of our airplanes at KCDW (RN), and all
those I know have IFR GPSs.

There are also some new aircraft I don't know, and those too probably have
IFR GPSs.

But this is a relatively expensive airport in a very expensive area of the
country. Pick some less busy untowered field somewhere, and your numbers
are very possibly spot in.

- Andrew

[1] But perhaps not. Lincoln Park Aviation flies relatively
new Cessnas. They've the BK-whatever.

Mac Dan has at least one Diamond with a G-1000 and a couple
of 172SPs. Given their otherwise shrinking fleet, I'm sure
that that's well more than 5%.

But see my "expensive area" comment above.

Old October 4th 06, 08:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Ben Jackson

On 2006-10-04, Kevin Clarke wrote:
I think I saw a Northstar M1 Loran listed on Ebay for $1. Apparently the
open market doesn't value LORAN so much either. Of course, I have one in
my plane. But I never use it.

On a long quiet XC segment I asked ZSE if they knew the LORAN GRI for
my area, because I had powered up my old LORAN and was not getting a
lock where I thought I should. At first he didn't know what I was talking
about, then he just didn't know the answer, and neither did anyone around
him.

I should look into getting a used GX55 to slide in place of it.

--
Ben Jackson AD7GD

http://www.ben.com/
Old October 4th 06, 08:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Ben Jackson

On 2006-10-04, Bob Noel wrote:

hmmm, maybe I'll have to start thinking about removing my VFR LORAN.

Am I the only owner without a GPS of any kind?

Nope, I'm in the same boat. The plane I bought got an avionics upgrade
in 1989, so it is just a little too early for GPS. If it didn't have a
good, working DME I probably would have had to spring for some kind of
upgrade by now.

--
Ben Jackson AD7GD

http://www.ben.com/
Old October 4th 06, 08:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Robert M. Gary

Ben Jackson wrote:
I should look into getting a used GX55 to slide in place of it.

ugg. Monochrome makes my eyes hurt. Why not just get a 296 and put it
on the yoke. Less expensive and 1000% a better GPS.

-Robert

Old October 4th 06, 08:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Dave Butler[_1_]

Robert M. Gary wrote:
Walk down the ramp and tell me how many aircraft you see have IFR
certified GPSs. I'd be surprised if you came back with something more
than 5%.

From AOPA'a 2006 Aviation Fact Card, General Aviation Equipment
Estimates 2004:

GPS System (total) 184,409 78.5%
No GPS 35,017 19.1%
GPS System (VFR only) 63,591 28.7%
GPS System (IFR enroute) 17,756 7.6%
GPS System (IFR non-precision Approach) 58,175 21.5%
GPS System (moving map) 106,931 43.0%
Old October 4th 06, 09:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Bob Noel

In article .com,
"Robert M. Gary" wrote:

Am I the only owner without a GPS of any kind?

You don't even have a handheld or some GPS software on your PDA?

Nope. Nada. Nothing. Zip

--
Bob Noel
Looking for a sig the

Old October 4th 06, 09:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Bob Noel

In article ,
Andrew Gideon wrote:

I don't understand why GPS navigators (esp. panel mounts) only use GPS
data for navigation. The question is esp. strong in the case of units,
like the Garmin 430/530, which also include a VOR receiver.

Why not have a navigator use multiple sensors?

Some do. But the multisensor units tend to be waaaay more
expensive than a GPS-only nav

--
Bob Noel
Looking for a sig the