why not all gps?

Old October 4th 06, 09:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Steven P. McNicoll[_1_]

Default why not all gps?

"Denny" wrote in message
ups.com...

Loran will be around for a long time also, same reasons (just
to head off that discussion) One basket for all your eggs is always a
risk...

I'm surprised LORAN is still around at all given the lack of interest in it.

Old October 4th 06, 09:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Steven P. McNicoll[_1_]

"Bob Noel" wrote in message

hmmm, maybe I'll have to start thinking about removing my VFR LORAN.

Am I the only owner without a GPS of any kind?

I don't have a GPS of any kind. Or a LORAN. Or a VOR receiver. Oh, wait,
my handheld transceiver will read the VOR radial.

Old October 4th 06, 09:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Robert M. Gary

Andrew Gideon wrote:
I don't understand why GPS navigators (esp. panel mounts) only use GPS
data for navigation. The question is esp. strong in the case of units,
like the Garmin 430/530, which also include a VOR receiver.

Why not have a navigator use multiple sensors? The unit could report on
RNP available, which would be higher given WAAS and lower if only VOR (or
LORAN) signals were available.

There would have to be a benefit for the added cost.

-Robert

Old October 4th 06, 09:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Ross Richardson[_2_]

Steven P. McNicoll wrote:
"Bob Noel" wrote in message

hmmm, maybe I'll have to start thinking about removing my VFR LORAN.

Am I the only owner without a GPS of any kind?

I don't have a GPS of any kind. Or a LORAN. Or a VOR receiver. Oh, wait,
my handheld transceiver will read the VOR radial.

Do you find it effective or do you have an outside antenna? Since I am
here, I have a IFR GPS certified for NP approaches.

--

Regards, Ross
C-172F 180HP
Old October 4th 06, 10:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Steven P. McNicoll[_1_]

"Ross Richardson" wrote in message

Do you find it effective or do you have an outside antenna?

Do I find the radial readout effective? I never use it. I do have an
external antenna for the transceiver. I can hear pretty well, but I have to
be pretty close to make myself heard by others. The transmitter is only 1
1/2 watts.

Old October 4th 06, 10:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Jay Honeck

Am I the only owner without a GPS of any kind?

I can't remember the last privately owned aircraft I saw that didn't
have a GPS on the yoke or in the panel.

So, I guess, the answer is "Yes"...
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old October 5th 06, 12:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Roger (K8RI)

On 4 Oct 2006 09:17:33 -0700, "Robert M. Gary"
wrote:

Bob Noel wrote:
In article .com,
"houstondan" wrote:

what got me wondering is that i'm reading taylor's INSTRUMENT FLYING
(4th ed.) and he states a couple of times that the maintenance for
these sites is not being budgeted beyond 08 or 10 or some such.

hmmm, maybe I'll have to start thinking about removing my VFR LORAN.

Am I the only owner without a GPS of any kind?

You don't even have a handheld or some GPS software on your PDA?

PDA? I'm a computer guy, what would I want with a PDA. In the old
days it was the day planner. We even had to go to school to use the
things. I took the day planner pages out and used it for a note book.

-Robert

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com
Old October 5th 06, 01:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Robert M. Gary

Roger (K8RI) wrote:
PDA? I'm a computer guy, what would I want with a PDA. In the old
days it was the day planner. We even had to go to school to use the
things. I took the day planner pages out and used it for a note book.

I use mine for the following

1) Use with PocketFMS for an aviation GPS
2) Use with MS Streets for a street navigator
3) As an iPod both in the car and at the club, syncs with MS Media
Player
4) As a notepad that's always with me
5) To read email when I'm out
6) Can surf the web when out (either via Wifi or Cellular GPRS)
7) Play games when nothing to do while waiting for something
8) Reading books with MS Reader, smaller to carry around than a book,
ready to pop out while waiting for the AME, easier to hold in bed, no
holding pages back
10) Appointment calendar, syncs with Outlook so my work/personal
appointments are rigth on the Today page (I don't enter appointments
with it, just view what is sync'd via Outlook)
11) Post to rec.aviation.owning when not in front of a computer
12) Check weather at ADDS when on the road to see Sat/Radar pix when
sitting at the resturant
etc, etc, etc

It sits in my pocket, taking less space than a small note pad.

-Robert

Old October 5th 06, 03:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Ray Andraka

I've got a handheld GPS (Garmin III Pilot), none in the panel. I do
have an old Foster Loran that I do use for the redundancy as well as to
drive my autopilot. I probably won't upgrade the panel until there is a
mission need for it, as the majority of the airports I fly to don't
currently offer anything more with a GPS approach in terms of lower
minimums than what I get now with the VORs, ILS and ADF. Adding panel
mount GPS is not only the cost of the unit and installation, it is also
the database update cost, plus there is still the issue of putting all
the NAV eggs in one basket.
Old October 5th 06, 03:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Roy Smith

In article .com,
"Robert M. Gary" wrote:

Walk down the ramp and tell me how many aircraft you see have IFR
certified GPSs. I'd be surprised if you came back with something more
than 5%.

I suppose it depends on where you look. In my club (based at HPN), 8 out
of 8 planes in our fleet have IFR/Approach GPS. Of the people I know
locally who have their own planes, most have IFR GPS. All the local flight
school airplanes are IFR GPS.

I just tried a completely unscientific experiment. I went to
flightaware.com and checked the traffic for KCDW (Caldwell, NJ). That's a
pretty typical Class D airport with no scheduled commercial operations.
Mostly local GA and flight training. There were 6 IFR arrivals over the
past 3 hours. 4 (2 piston singles, 2 piston twins) were /G, one was /L,
one was /Q.

If you're telling me that 5% of the total fleet has IFR GPS, I'll believe
that. But, of the aircraft that actually fly IFR on a regular basis, I'd
be surprised if less than half were /G or better.