Mxs goes flying! - 1 attachment

Old June 12th 07, 04:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Marc CYBW[_2_]

Default Mxs goes flying! - 1 attachment

Good one.

But what really happened to the plane? Looks like it got attacked by a giant
can opener.

Marc

"Bertie the Bunyip" wrote in message
.130...
He finally gets to try out his favorite airplane and when he starts
jabbering once airborne, his instructor's head explodes..

Old June 12th 07, 04:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_2_]

"Marc CYBW" wrote in

Good one.

But what really happened to the plane? Looks like it got attacked by a
giant can opener.

Cessna 180 collided with it midair in California. The Cessna crashed,
killing the pilot. the Baron landed with only minor injuries to the pilot
(apparently the sole occupant)

bertie
Old June 12th 07, 05:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
BT

Default Baron Cessna MidAir

Actually lets rephrase that.. the Cessna was straight and level east bound,
the Baron was climbing west bound.

From the angle of approach of the Baron, the Baron was always low and to the
right of the Cessna as he approached, forever in the Cessna's blind spot
behind the right side cowling. The Baron pilot looking up and right would
have always been in a position to see the Cessna.

The Baron climbed up into and it the Cessna. The right main gear of the
Cessna went through the right side cockpit window, it ripped out the gear
and lower strut attach point of the Cessna causing the right wing to fail.

The Baron pilot, admittedly head down in the cockpit, killed a friend of
mine.

BT

Old June 12th 07, 11:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Larry Dighera

On Mon, 11 Jun 2007 21:15:37 -0700, "BT" wrote
in :

The Baron pilot, admittedly head down in the cockpit, killed a friend of
mine.

Tragic. I'm sorry.

It just serves to prove that the Big Sky theory is a fallacy.

AOPA recommends, based on a USAF study, that pilots spend 17 out of
EVERY 20 seconds scanning for conflicting traffic. Personally, I burn
a landing light whenever I'm flying.
Old June 12th 07, 04:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Robert M. Gary

On Jun 12, 3:54 am, Larry Dighera wrote:
On Mon, 11 Jun 2007 21:15:37 -0700, "BT" wrote
in :

The Baron pilot, admittedly head down in the cockpit, killed a friend of
mine.

Tragic. I'm sorry.

It just serves to prove that the Big Sky theory is a fallacy.

AOPA recommends, based on a USAF study, that pilots spend 17 out of
EVERY 20 seconds scanning for conflicting traffic. Personally, I burn
a landing light whenever I'm flying.

I've found my PCAS system to be very helpful. For a fraction of the
cost of a TIS or TCAS system it lets me know when someone is nearby.
It doesn't see all traffic but it sees much more than I do.

-Robert

Old June 12th 07, 05:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Larry Dighera

On Tue, 12 Jun 2007 08:37:53 -0700, "Robert M. Gary"
wrote in
om:

I've found my PCAS system to be very helpful. For a fraction of the
cost of a TIS or TCAS system it lets me know when someone is nearby.
It doesn't see all traffic but it sees much more than I do.

Thanks for the tip. This is the first I've heard of PCAS.

http://www.pcas.ca/
How does PCAS work?

ATC ground stations and active TCAS systems transmit interrogation
pulses on an uplink frequency of 1030 Megahertz. Aircraft
transponders reply on a downlink frequency of 1090 Megahertz. PCAS
devices detect these transponder responses, then analyze and
display conflict information.
MRX-A (Portable Collision Avoidance System) $589.99

It sounds like just the thing for flying in the LA basin, and renter
pilots aren't excluded.

Old June 12th 07, 10:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Capt. Geoffrey Thorpe

Default Collision avoidance - was - Baron Cessna MidAir

..
"Larry Dighera" wrote in message
[...]

See the thread "Any pireps for PCAS MRX collision avoidance system?" from
early this month.

Also http://www.cumulus-soaring.com/zaon.htm or
http://wingsandwheels.com/page4.htm

Less than $500... And, they have been improved so they can be connected to
your intercom.

--
Geoff
The Sea Hawk at Wow Way d0t Com

Old June 13th 07, 05:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Shirl

MRX-A (Portable Collision Avoidance System) $589.99

I've been looking at these.
Zoan has two ... one for $589 and one for $1895. Anyone here have the
more expensive one? I've only read the small blurbs about both. What
makes the higher one worth $1300 more?
Old June 14th 07, 12:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mike Isaksen

"Shirl" wrote ...
MRX-A (Portable Collision Avoidance System) $589.99

I've been looking at these.
Zoan has two ... one for $589 and one for $1895. Anyone here have the
more expensive one? I've only read the small blurbs about both. What
makes the higher one worth $1300 more?

1. Multiple target tracking/reporting.
2. Closest target quadrant reporting.
3. Interface and display to GPS hardware (incl Garmin 396/496)

"Worth it?", that's your call.