Lawrance 5 Cyl. Mini-Radial Engines

Old March 12th 08, 02:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Victor Bravo

Default Lawrance 5 Cyl. Mini-Radial Engines

I have a couple of Lawrance 5 cylinder mini radials. They were used as
the APU electrical generator engine for the B-29 bomber, and perhaps
for other ground power applications. They're about 24-30 inches in
diameter, and weigh 60 or 80 pounds approx.

They are cute as hell, and look like half size Kinner engines. 37
horsepower, designation Lawrance B-75 I believe. Some people call them
Lawrence radial engines but I believe it's Lawrance.

I know for a fact that the Lawrance radial has been used on more than
one light experimental aircraft over the years. I also know that they
need some adjustment and work to be usable for an airplane, including
re-routing the oil pickup and perhaps thrust capable bearings.

There is one engine that is fairly complete, including two 5 cyl mags
and a Stromberg carburetor. There is another set of crankcases, six or
seven cylinders, and boxes of parts, valves, etc. Although it is
possible you might be able to make two engines out of this, it is more
likely that you can use this "lot" to build and one engine and keep it
maintained and running on an airplane. YES, I'm going to go out and
take pictures and inventory... sometime soon when it's convenient.

These MAY wind up on eBay, I have them on Barnstormers now too. But to
be honest I might do better trading them rather than asking for a cash
sale. I am not sure what the cash value is anyway. So I am looking for
trade offers first, and eBay will be my fallback position.

I am interested in:

Sailplanes and gliders
Some single seat experimental airplanes/projects
Continental C85 / 90 / O-200 engines and crankshafts
Geo Metro / Raven auto engine conversions
Geo Metro decent 3 cyl. running car

Anyone seriously interested in speaking with me about these engines,
I'll be glad to discuss trades with you. Again, I have NOT YET decided
whether these things are worth a dollar or ten thousand dollars yet on
a straight cash sale. Offers are welcome but trades interest me
equally or more.

Bill Berle victorbravo { at) sbcglobal )dot} net
818- seven zero one - 6801

Old March 13th 08, 02:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Stealth Pilot[_2_]

On Tue, 11 Mar 2008 18:43:15 -0700 (PDT), Victor Bravo
wrote:

[...]

Bill
for heavens sake get the plans from the guys in england and build a
replica CLA7 Comper Swift.
that engine would be perfect for it.

gods if I was only in america....

Stealth Pilot
Australia
Old March 13th 08, 07:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Orval Fairbairn[_2_]

In article ,

Bill
for heavens sake get the plans from the guys in england and build a
replica CLA7 Comper Swift.
that engine would be perfect for it.

gods if I was only in america....

That reminds me of the fact that the Pobjoy factory was bombed in WW-II.
Some say that it was the RAF who did it, in revenge for their making
inferior engines. ;)

Old March 14th 08, 04:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
John[_17_]

Victor Bravo wrote:
[...]

So that's what kind of motor it is... In the B-29 pilot training film
it's referred to as starting the "putt putt".

John
Old March 15th 08, 10:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

On Mar 11, 7:43 pm, Victor Bravo wrote:
[...]

Perfect for my Hummel Bird.

Dan
Old March 17th 08, 09:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Bret Ludwig

On Mar 13, 10:03 pm, John wrote:
Victor Bravo wrote:
[...]

IIRC there were two different possible APUs for the B-29 of which the
cute little radial is one.

I suspect that it is best left as a gen set to be run as a curiosity
rather than flown.

Old March 18th 08, 01:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
William Hung[_2_]

On Mar 11, 9:43*pm, Victor Bravo wrote:
[...]

Is this what you've got?
http://www.powerofthepast.org/lawrance_l64.jpg

"Lawrance L-64 38.5 HP"

Wil

Old March 18th 08, 02:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
William Hung[_2_]

On Mar 17, 8:54*pm, William Hung wrote:
[...]

Wil- Hide quoted text -

Here's a two cylinder "Lawrance A.P.U. 14.5 H.P" that already has a
prop shaft.

http://www.powerofthepast.org/lawrance_apu.jpg

The L-64 looks fabulous. http://www.powerofthepast.org/lawrance_l64.jpg

Wil

Preheating engines: Airplane engines versus auto engines Peter R. Owning 86 January 2nd 08 08:48 PM
another radial question Tater Piloting 13 September 27th 07 04:50 AM
Radial Engines GraveRobber Restoration 2 September 5th 06 01:16 PM
Bristol radial engines......cowling colour Rod Restoration 2 April 23rd 05 07:48 AM
World War Two Era U.S. Radial Engines (Curtiss and Pratt&Whitney) Lincoln Brown Military Aviation 10 February 13th 04 05:30 AM