Sealy - Katy Texas airports

Old November 11th 03, 03:40 AM
JJS

Default Sealy - Katy Texas airports

I'm interested in recommendations for an general aviation airport in
the Sealy, Texas area. I'd prefer reasonable fuel prices and low or
no fees. I'll be flying there this Thursday to attend a funer...
errr... wedding, :') and staying until Sunday. Airports within 20
miles or so of Sealy would be acceptable. An ILS approach isn't
necessary as I'll be vfr. Towered or untowered airports are o.k.
Grass strips would be considered if they have tie downs and meet the
other criteria for fuel, etc.

Thanks,

--
Joe Schneider
8437R

Old November 11th 03, 05:32 AM
Tom S.

"JJS" jschneider@REMOVE THIS SPAM BLOCKpldi.net wrote in message
I'm interested in recommendations for an general aviation airport in
the Sealy, Texas area. I'd prefer reasonable fuel prices and low or
no fees. I'll be flying there this Thursday to attend a funer...
errr... wedding, :') and staying until Sunday. Airports within 20
miles or so of Sealy would be acceptable. An ILS approach isn't
necessary as I'll be vfr. Towered or untowered airports are o.k.
Grass strips would be considered if they have tie downs and meet the
other criteria for fuel, etc.

Thanks,

Running "Sealy, TX" through Airnav gives six airports...all private.

http://www.airnav.com/airports/

Running 2TA4, USAMario's Flying Pizza Airport through the "Aviation Fuel"
tab comes up with a bunch, all pretty much the same price for 100LL, but
Eagle Lake Airport (KELA) in Eagle Lake is closest at 9 nm to the south.

http://www.airnav.com/airport/KELA

Old November 11th 03, 02:52 PM
John Clonts

"Tom S." wrote in message

[...]

Don't know about the gibberish above, but Eagle Lake is not 9 nm south of
Katy.

You're choices are basically West Houston (IWS) and Sugarland (SGR). IWS is
probably easier to get to/from Katy. Haven't been there much in the last
decade, but there's plenty of good comments about them on airnav.

Enjoy your trip to Texas (I presume you're coming from Oklahoma)!

Cheers,
John Clonts
Temple, Texas
N7NZ

Old November 11th 03, 05:19 PM
Big John

JJS

I'd recomend West Side (IWS), Woody Lesikar has run an upscale field
for many years and keeps pouring money into the operation. Facilities
are closer to what you would find at IAH GA than a dirt strip :O) It's
about 15 minutes from field south to I-10 and then 70mph on out to
Sealy.

100 LL is $2.66
First night tie down free if refuel.
$10.00 per night tie down AFTER first night even if refuel.

They have some arraingement with rental cars but for examople today
when I called they were booked up. If you can't get a ride from family
suggest yoo call them (281-492-2130) to reserve a car. You also might
be able to call one of the rental companies and they would deliver to
airport for you ???

Is family going to pick you up? Would solve transportation problem.

Think this covers most of the things you asked about. Don't know what
the current nav aids are and didn't ask when I called so be sure and
check.They have a Beacon on field if operational. (check NOTAMS).
Field is easy to see from air.

Big John

Looked Eagle Lake up on Internet and road map. Not a straight shot to
either I-10 or Sealy on even a secondary road. Their 100 LL listed
cheaper than West Side. If family picking you up and know the area,
then Eagle Lake might be the cheapest. If convience, then West Side is
probably the best?

Enjoy the wedding :O)

Old November 11th 03, 06:04 PM
Ross Richardson

When I went to Katy awhile back (my sister lives there) I went into West
Houston. Nice airport and all the services you could want. Fuel was
high. If you are coming down from OK and need fuel around North Texas
stop by KSWI. Fuel is $1.84 weekends and $1.89 weekdays. 24 hour fuel
and terminal access.

Old November 11th 03, 06:15 PM
Tom S.

"John Clonts" wrote in message
.. .

"Tom S." wrote in message

[...]

Who's Katy? We're talking about Sealy, not Katy.

Old November 11th 03, 08:01 PM
John Clonts

"Tom S." wrote in message

[...]

HA! You're right-- nevermind.!

John

Old November 11th 03, 08:56 PM
One's Too Many

"Tom S." wrote in message ...
"JJS" jschneider@REMOVE THIS SPAM BLOCKpldi.net wrote in message
I'm interested in recommendations for an general aviation airport in
the Sealy, Texas area. I'd prefer reasonable fuel prices and low or
no fees. I'll be flying there this Thursday to attend a funer...
errr... wedding, :') and staying until Sunday. Airports within 20
miles or so of Sealy would be acceptable. An ILS approach isn't
necessary as I'll be vfr. Towered or untowered airports are o.k.
Grass strips would be considered if they have tie downs and meet the
other criteria for fuel, etc.

Thanks,

Running "Sealy, TX" through Airnav gives six airports...all private.

Hmmm, Longbird Airport (93TS) http://www.airnav.com/airport/93TS
looks almost inviting with two big turf runways even though it is
privately owned. No fuel, but only a couple miles away from Sealy
which might be very convenient for your party to come and pick you
up. There's some phone numbers on the Airnav webpage, you might try
phoning them to see if they'd mind if you landed and kept your plane
there for a weekend.

I once telephoned the owner of a private airport to inquire about
about using the possibility of me landing there, to meet up with some
friends who were camping at a nearby lake, and he was delighted to let
me use his airstrip. You never know until you ask!
Old November 11th 03, 09:09 PM
Tom S.

"Big John" wrote in message
JJS

I'd recomend West Side (IWS), Woody Lesikar has run an upscale field
for many years and keeps pouring money into the operation. Facilities
are closer to what you would find at IAH GA than a dirt strip :O) It's
about 15 minutes from field south to I-10 and then 70mph on out to
Sealy.

How is Woody to do business with, BJ? Do you know him much?

He's got a very nice F33A for sale that I'm considering.

Old November 12th 03, 02:23 AM
JJS

Thanks guys! I should have stated in my first post that I looked
on airnav.com before I posted and realized many of the airports are
private around Sealy. I am unfamiliar with the area and was hoping
for personal knowledge of the public airports. Some of you mentioned
Katy, probably because I used Sealy-Katy in the subject line. I did
that because as some of you surmised, family will pick me up and they
are willing to drive a reasonable distance of around 25 miles if I can
fly in. They have just bought a house in Sealy and they are also
unfamiliar with the airports in the area. I fly to FWS (Fort Worth
Spinks) once or twice a year, and that's where I was thinking of
stopping to fill up the tanks on the way down. I sure appreciate
Ross's suggestion of Sherman though, and will consider it and any
other suggested stops along the way. I am coming down from N.W.
Oklahoma, (WWR) and I need to miss the restricted area around Lawton,
Ok. At this time the forecast for my area is looking iffy. I may
have to postpone until Friday or just miss it if the weather doesn't
shape up. Right now the front runners are IWS and Eagle Lake.
Anybody else have personal knowledge of Eagle Lake? Would it be hard
for family to find? How's the service?

wrote:

"Tom S." wrote in message

"JJS" jschneider@REMOVE THIS SPAM BLOCKpldi.net wrote in

message
I'm interested in recommendations for an general aviation

airport in
the Sealy, Texas area. I'd prefer reasonable fuel prices and

low or
no fees. I'll be flying there this Thursday to attend a

funer...
errr... wedding, :') and staying until Sunday. Airports

within 20
miles or so of Sealy would be acceptable. An ILS approach

isn't
necessary as I'll be vfr. Towered or untowered airports are

o.k.
Grass strips would be considered if they have tie downs and

meet the
other criteria for fuel, etc.

Thanks,

George Jr sent out of Texas by father as a 'drunken liability' WalterM140 Military Aviation 17 September 9th 04 05:26 AM
Definitive website that proves Bush was AWOL Laura Bush murdered her boy friend Military Aviation 24 September 1st 04 08:58 PM
bush rules! Be Kind Military Aviation 53 February 14th 04 04:26 PM
good book about prisoners of war Jim Atkins Military Aviation 16 August 1st 03 10:18 AM
fatal bird strike StellaStar Piloting 9 July 13th 03 09:41 PM