A Simple Auto Engine Conversion

Old September 4th 08, 12:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Stuart & Kathryn Fields

Default A Simple Auto Engine Conversion

wrote in message
On Sep 3, 3:14 pm, (Drew Dalgleish)
wrote:
On Wed, 3 Sep 2008 11:12:15 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

Guess not. Now we can put a magneto on any old engine and go
flying! Considering that the magneto has a much higher failure rate
than the old battery point-and-condenser ignition, and therefore we
need two of them, I have no idea why, in this age of electronic
everything, the homebuilder market hasn't come up with a self-powered
electronic ignition module for conversions. It would look like a
magneto, and have the rotating magnet alternator to generate some
power, but wouldn't use the troublesome points or impulse couplings or
distributor and the alternator part would have many magnets, not just
one, so that the magneto dynamics that sometimes lead to drive failure
wouldn't be there. Dave Blanton found those dynamics in his
conversions and had to modify the mag drives to take it.

Dan

http://www.emagair.com/Index.htm

I have these on my lycoming and I think that it would be possible to
machine some kind of mount to fit it to an auto engine.

Well. There it is! I wonder when they'll get certification?
I'd like to try a pair on one of our 172s to see if fuel economy and
performance are better. Should be, with variable timing.
The one drawback I can see: They use battery power, with a
built-in alternator in case the aircraft's electrics die. Without an
impulse coupleing, they wouldn't generate enough power for hand-
propping, so my old A-65 non-electric systemed Jodel is out of luck.
Dan
Dan: I've been flying a Lightspeed ignition on one side and a Slick mag on
the other on my Lycoming 0320 for several years. The only problem that I
have had is that with real low battery voltage, the timing can get wrong and
cause a kick back and damage the starter. As I understand it the newer
units have fixed this problem. Impulse coupling?? You don't need it. This
thing fires so much better than a magneto at any speed that mag checks,
turning the mag off gets no rpm drop and turning the Lightspeed off gets
about 100rpm drop. The spark coming off the light speed fed plug looks like
something from science fiction. Also I'm using automotive platinum plugs @
$4.50 each and the A/C equivalent would be about 10X that. A small
isolated battery takes care of a backup for electrical system failures. I
do not have one installed yet and it has been about 10 years now and have
never needed the back up.

Old September 4th 08, 02:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Peter Dohm

"Morgans" wrote in message

"Peter Dohm" wrote

The damper, which is indeed a relatively expensive part, is on the other
end of the engine and is intended to eliminate resonance within the
engine. A breif treatise, which probably started as an an internal
document at one of the big three auto makers, has been included on this
forum a number of times and is probably in an issue of Contact! Magazine
as well; but I can't find a copy on my current computer.

I could easily be incorrect about the purpose of the springs, but another
article from Contact! regarding the development of the BD-5 drive train
(which I also can not find) does provide some food for thought.

You are thinking of two different things.

The thing on the accessory end of the engine is the harmonic balancer, and
it does indeed dampen resonance in the crankshaft.

Dampeners also exist that go between the engine and the load, usually
found in industrial applications, or in marine applications.
--
Jim in NC

Very true, I had momentarily forgotten those. They would require some
mathematical analysis to specify correctly and I believe that Molt Taylor
may have used something of the sort on the IMP or Mini IMP. There are also
some so-called "dry fluid couplings" that I sort of understand, but not
completely.

Peter

Old September 4th 08, 07:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
cavelamb himself[_4_]

Peter Dohm wrote:

"Morgans" wrote in message

[...]

A coupling consisting of a pair of "wavy" plates and a dry fluid (like
bird shot) that does the actual connecting.

IIRC, it was adapted from an early automotive "automatic clutch" ??

--

Richard

(remove the X to email)
Old September 4th 08, 12:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Peter Dohm

"cavelamb himself" wrote in message
m...
Peter Dohm wrote:

"Morgans" wrote in message

[...]

I remembered that he used the Flexidyne coupling, essentially a centrifugal
clutch, in that little twin engine machine with a single prop; but had
forgotten what he used in the IMP series. It centainly would have been a
valid cure for the BD-5 problems, which occured at or below idle speed, as
well. Apparently, it is most commonly used for industrial applications of
electric motors and here is a link to a product description:
http://www.dodge-pt.com/products/pt_...flexidyne.html

Peter

Old September 5th 08, 11:49 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Barnyard BOb

On Thu, 28 Aug 2008 18:18:08 -0400, "Morgans"
wrote:

"Bill Daniels" bildan@comcast-dot-net wrote

If after a few years I still couldn't break it, then maybe in an airplane.
Ground testing is the expensive part. 2000 hours at 10GPH = 20,000
gallons at $4 each = $80,000. Nobody said it was cheap.

While I agree with the need to thouroughly test a unit, I do question the
need to do 2,000 hours, unless you are going for certification. Running it,
tearing it down occasionally and carefully inspecting (including
magnafluxing) will give you all the information you need for deciding
whether it is going to go the distance, IMHO.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Morgans.
You never fail to amaze! ;-)

You know so much....

- NOT -

- Barnyard BOb -

The more people I meet,
the more I like my dog
and George Carlin humor.

May he now rest in peace.
Old September 5th 08, 02:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
stol

wrote:

[...]

This is the Rec. Aviation. HOMEBUILT group. Feel free to wander over
to the Rec. Aviation. CERTIFIED group to voice your concerns. You
really need to be addressing the correct group to get any respect..

Tailwinds.

Ben
www.haaspowerair.com
Old September 14th 08, 09:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Barnyard BOb

On Fri, 5 Sep 2008 06:24:52 -0700 (PDT), stol
wrote:

Morgans.
You never fail to amaze! *;-)

You know so much....

* * * - NOT -

- Barnyard BOb -

The more people I meet,
the more I like my dog
and George Carlin humor.

May he now rest in peace.

This is the Rec. Aviation. HOMEBUILT group. Feel free to wander over
to the Rec. Aviation. CERTIFIED group to voice your concerns. You
really need to be addressing the correct group to get any respect..

Tailwinds.

Ben

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Unless your name is Morgans...

** PHUCK OFF **

Get a life... and sense of humor!

- Barnyard BOb -

Old September 14th 08, 09:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Morgans[_2_]

"Barnyard BOb" wrote

Unless your name is Morgans...

** PHUCK OFF **

Get a life... and sense of humor!

Uhhh, Bob?

As you always seemed to like correcting my speeling errarhs, I need to point
out that you spelled "PHUCK" wrong.

You seem to think this word is like a phone, somehow? gg
--
Jim in NC