Why do you buy Snap-on tools?

Old November 7th 03, 05:55 PM
Anonymo421

Default Why do you buy Snap-on tools?

Snap-On tools are worth the price hands down. Anyone that really needs to
rely on tools knows that they are the best. I was a Tech for about 14 years
and have seen the difference. 80% of my tools are Snap-On and the other 20%
is between Mac and Matco tools. Yes I have plenty of Craftsman tools as
well, but don't consider them to be anything more then sub-standard. They
are fine when working on your average home chores, taking the LAwn Mower
apart, working on the house and other average needs, but when going under
the hood of a car/truck.....then I switch to the professional brand.

Gee, I built a GM engine for an old camaro about 10 years ago using only
Craftsman tools (well, I did buy whatever was in the Pep Boys bargain bin to
fill the gaps). Guess what...I didn't break a single tool or fastener, and the
engine runs fine to this day. Now maybe theSnap-on guy comes to you when you
break a tool, but AFAIK Craftsman still has the eternal guaranty on all their
hand tools (I wouldn't know for sure--none of mine have ever broken). I'm sure
Snap-on makes a quality product, but I've never heard a compelling reason to
choose them over the local Sears product.
Old November 7th 03, 08:12 PM
George Vigneron

Many years ago (early 60's) when my late father was a government
purchasing agent he told me about a typical gov. snafu.

Seems some "know it all" purchasing agent for a government agency (which
he refused to name as the litigation had just concluded) decided that
Snap-On tools were of course superior to Craftsman and others. So he
issued a large contract without competitive bidding. When the word got
out, Sears (Craftsman) sued and the judge ordered independent tests for
fit, strength, and durability. When the dust settled, Craftsman had proven
superior or equal in all respects. A large judgement followed. Dad had
subsequently received a cautioning memo from higher ups that all
contracts, especially for tools would be submitted for comp. bidding. And
no preference to Snap-On or others based on perceived reputation.

Entirely anecdotal but I believe my father wasn't lying.

For that and many other reasons, even back when I was wrenching as a
profession, I continue to buy mainly Craftsman, some Mac, some Snap-On,
and others. I buy based on quality and need, not a big name with a shiny
truck. I must admit that for some specialty tools, Snap-On gets the nod
more frequently as they cater to the professional mech. more than
Craftsman does.

George Vigneron

Old November 8th 03, 12:23 AM
ThJester99

I have a pair of proto reversible 6 in safety wire pliers, made by stanley.
http://www.stanleyworks.com/
Jesse
PP-ASEL
A&P student
Old November 8th 03, 01:56 AM
Del Rawlins

On 07 Nov 2003 01:38 PM, O-ring Seals posted the following:

Anyone know what happened to Plomb and Proto? I know they are no
longer available, but I do have quite a few in my tool chests. I
recall that in my high school auto shop class that all of the hand
tools were Proto.
Just curious.

Never heard of Plomb but Proto is still around. I really like their
tools but the price is just all out of reason for what you are getting.
MSC seems to have a pretty good selection of Proto (and other) tools:

http://www.mscdirect.com/

Del Rawlins-
Remove _kills_spammers_ to reply via email.
Unofficial Bearhawk FAQ website:
http://www.rawlinsbrothers.org/bhfaq/
Old November 8th 03, 01:59 AM
J.D.

Anyone know what happened to Plomb and Proto? I know they are no
longer available, but I do have quite a few in my tool chests. I
recall that in my high school auto shop class that all of the hand
tools were Proto.
Just curious.

O-ring Seals

They're owned by Stanley, now, apparently, according to their website. IIRC,
they were at one time part of Ingersoll-Rand. Back in the late '70s, early
'80s, they owned the company that made Craftsman tools, among others.

J.D.
to e-mail, pull the post
Old November 8th 03, 02:56 AM
Del Rawlins

On 07 Nov 2003 04:03 PM, Neil Nelson posted the following:

The most obvious trait to me is how easily the chrome plating
chips/peels from the cheap brand tools (Craftsman, Matco, Mac),
not what I'd want floating around inside the engine of the next
airliner I get on. :-(

We obviously aren't using the same Mac and Craftsman tools. Never used
Matco so I can't say about them.

Old November 8th 03, 03:40 AM
Neil Nelson

In article ,
Del Rawlins wrote:

On 07 Nov 2003 04:03 PM, Neil Nelson posted the following:

The most obvious trait to me is how easily the chrome plating
chips/peels from the cheap brand tools (Craftsman, Matco, Mac),
not what I'd want floating around inside the engine of the next
airliner I get on. :-(

We obviously aren't using the same Mac and Craftsman tools.

Not unless you're sneaking into my shop when I'm not looking...

Never used Matco so I can't say about them.

As I posted earlier, my first experience with them was somewhat
less than impressive.

RV-6 Snap Rolls Ted Timmons Aerobatics 1 February 2nd 05 11:48 PM
Snaps in the Decathlon Dave Russell Aerobatics 12 April 14th 04 06:14 PM
Snap roll vs. Va Greg Esres Aerobatics 16 December 2nd 03 12:14 PM