What tools do you take?

Old March 1st 04, 11:04 AM
Michael Horowitz

Default What tools do you take?

What tools do you take along for a two day XC? - Mike
Old March 1st 04, 12:02 PM
Dale

In article , Michael Horowitz
wrote:

What tools do you take along for a two day XC? - Mike

How much are you competent, willing to do that will require tools?

For me it was a screwdriver (multi-tip), safety wire and pliers, plug wrench, a
few open end wrenchs.

--
Dale L. Falk

There is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing
as simply messing around with airplanes.
http://home.gci.net/~sncdfalk/flying.html
Old March 1st 04, 02:39 PM
Dave Stadt

"Michael Horowitz" wrote in message
What tools do you take along for a two day XC? - Mike

Credit card and cell phone.

Old March 1st 04, 03:29 PM

My XC kit:

qt of oil
disposable oil funnels
spark plug socket and driver
an extra plug or two plus gaskets
multi tip screw driver
adjustable spanner and pliers
Prist and plexiglass safe wipes
jumper cables (piper style)
camping power supply (this is coleman battery which has a lighter adapter as
well as jumper cable attachments)

This is for the plane, you may want other things for you depending on where
you're going. Example: over mountains enroute throw a coat in the back. My
kit developed over time to cover some problems one might encounter after
landing somewhere off the beaten path, e.g.:

- low oil
- fouled plug
- bug spattered windows
- dead battery
- random crap which needs to be tightened, etc.

mark

Old March 1st 04, 04:08 PM
G.R. Patterson III

Michael Horowitz wrote:

What tools do you take along for a two day XC? - Mike

I carry a small toolbox in the back of the plane all the time. It has a cheap
wire twister, some safety wire, a screwdriver with multiple bits, a crescent
wrench, a spare tailwheel tube, a small can of 3-in-1, an assortment of trim
screws, a spare landing light bulb, and a few feet of duct tape. I also carry
spare tie-down ropes.

If I think I'll need them, I'll throw in some tie-down stakes and a hammer.

George Patterson
A diplomat is a person who can tell you to go to hell in such a way that
you look forward to the trip.
Old March 1st 04, 05:09 PM
Blanche

Dave Stadt wrote:

"Michael Horowitz" wrote in message
What tools do you take along for a two day XC? - Mike

Credit card and cell phone.

Cash and a cell phone.

Old March 1st 04, 06:29 PM
C J Campbell

"Michael Horowitz" wrote in message
What tools do you take along for a two day XC? - Mike

I figure a Leatherman Wave and some quarts of oil is about as much as I can
handle.

Old March 1st 04, 08:09 PM
Dude

Credit card and cell phone.

In reality, I have to say that these are my main tools too.

My plane came with a tool kit, and I carry a spare qt of oil. Nearing 500
hobbs hours and nothing that I could fix has been a cause for delay. Had to
wait a day for parts once.

New is nice

Old March 1st 04, 08:34 PM
Jay Honeck

What tools do you take along for a two day XC? - Mike

A quart of oil, and my Leatherman tool. In nine years of cross country
flying, I've never needed anything but the oil. (I did lose a starter on a
trip, but I couldn't have fixed that.)

If I'm camping, I'll bring more tools -- but they're not primarily for the
plane.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old March 1st 04, 09:19 PM
Tom Sixkiller

"Michael Horowitz" wrote in message
What tools do you take along for a two day XC? - Mike

Hershey bars and nylons....and a small tool kit about the size of an
bathroom kit.