Foam for inside of fiberglass trailer

Old March 28th 13, 05:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John[_27_]

Default Foam for inside of fiberglass trailer

I wish to put some padding inside my trailer to prevent any rash when loading/unloading - I have some old computer-packaging foam I've been using but wondering if there is a best type of foam to use (closed cell, etc.) that I should consider?

thanks,
John
Old March 28th 13, 06:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
soartech[_2_]

John, have you actually got a rash from your trailer or are you afraid
of getting one because
you heard fiberglass can do that. If it is the latter, be assured that
the fiberglass is securely trapped
in resin and can't easily escape.
If you ARE getting a rash it is more likely from the resin fumes than
any loose fiberglass.

Old March 28th 13, 06:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John[_27_]

On Thursday, March 28, 2013 10:01:15 AM UTC-7, soartech wrote:
John, have you actually got a rash from your trailer or are you afraid

of getting one because

you heard fiberglass can do that. If it is the latter, be assured that

Sorry - I mean to pad the glider from hitting the edges when pulling it out (around the vertical stab and the rear-edges when pulling the wings out. Trailer-rash on the glider (assembly rash?) - not a rash on me - sorry for the confusion!
John
Old March 28th 13, 07:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Listen we all love our gliders and trailers so I can relate....but depending on exactly WHAT you've been doing to your trailer you may have an STD.

I would get it looked at asap and don't go rubbing up against any other trailers until you know you are safe.

Again...It's nothing to be ashamed of.
Old March 28th 13, 07:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Thursday, March 28, 2013 12:10:57 PM UTC-4, John wrote:
I wish to put some padding inside my trailer to prevent any rash when loading/unloading - I have some old computer-packaging foam I've been using but wondering if there is a best type of foam to use (closed cell, etc.) that I should consider? thanks, John

I have had good luck with felt contact cemented to surfaces that may get rubbed upon. Available from McMaster Carr supply.
Good Luck
UH
Old March 29th 13, 04:56 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Uncle Fuzzy[_2_]

I have had good luck with felt contact cemented to surfaces that may get rubbed upon. Available from McMaster Carr supply.

Good Luck

UH

I'll second that. Felt lasts, foam doesn't. Second on McMaster.com too!
Old April 1st 13, 05:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Wallace Berry[_2_]

In article ,
John wrote:

I wish to put some padding inside my trailer to prevent any rash when
but wondering if there is a best type of foam to use (closed cell, etc.) that
I should consider?

thanks,
John

An alternative to McMaster Carr for felt:
http://www.thefeltpeople.com/pages/c...tcolorcard.htm

These folk have got felt in all thicknesses and colors, synthetic and
natural. Last time I ordered from them, they were a lot cheaper than
McMaster Carr.
Old April 1st 13, 05:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JohnDeRosa

I have a few areas in my trailer (like around the vertical stab) that
I wanted to protect during rigging and transportation.

I used heavy felt for a while but then went to very low pile carpet
(like indoor/outdoor) which is soft and smooth but more durable than
felt in the long run. Inexpensively available at any large box DIY
store in multiple colors.

- John
Old April 4th 13, 03:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bastoune

Along the same line a John, I found that short pile carpet works well. In my case, I used "Boat Trailer" carpet (available at any boat store, bass pro, etc). Carper is very very soft, and short. Easy to apply with contact cement.
Bastoune
Old April 4th 13, 04:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]

I just went to Lowe's and bought a bunch of gray outdoor carpet for trailer lining. It was just over $3 a foot for a 6' wide roll. Seems like nice stuff.

Painting fiberglass Cobra trailer [email protected] Soaring 12 January 19th 13 03:23 AM
Slightly OT Fiberglass over foam problem Dave Lyon Home Built 0 August 10th 06 03:44 PM
Painting a Fiberglass Trailer Experiences ContestID67 Soaring 4 April 28th 05 07:40 PM
Foam ? Neil Home Built 2 June 14th 04 04:10 PM
blue foam, pink foam, yellow foam? Corrie Home Built 26 September 1st 03 05:01 PM