ASH26 wing frequency

Old August 22nd 13, 09:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default ASH26 wing frequency

Hi, I'm considering buying an ASH26 which has had a major wing repair. If there are any owners here I would be very grateful if they could share the frequencies quoted in their delivery documentation

Andy Smith (ASW28 owner flying at Bicester in the UK)
Old August 23rd 13, 12:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jfitch

On Thursday, August 22, 2013 1:47:32 PM UTC-7, wrote:
Hi, I'm considering buying an ASH26 which has had a major wing repair. If there are any owners here I would be very grateful if they could share the frequencies quoted in their delivery documentation

Andy Smith (ASW28 owner flying at Bicester in the UK)

I thought wing frequency had been largely discounted as a reliable method to determine most anything. However if it is an older 26, in the documentation with the aircraft the original wing frequency will be listed for that exact SN. Not sure if they still do that or not. It wouldn't be of any use on mine, which has had the factory winglet kit added.
Old August 23rd 13, 08:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Peter F[_2_]

Surely it's simple, if you trust the repairer buy it.
If you don't, don't

PF

At 23:45 22 August 2013, Eric Greenwell wrote:
wrote, On 8/22/2013 1:47 PM:
Hi, I'm considering buying an ASH26 which has had a major wing
repair. If there are any owners here I would be very grateful if they
could share the frequencies quoted in their delivery documentation

It might be more valuable to have them show you the pictures and videos
of the proof loading tests done after the repair.

email me)
- "Transponders in Sailplanes - Feb/2010" also ADS-B, PCAS, Flarm
http://tinyurl.com/yb3xywl

Old August 23rd 13, 12:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

wrote, On 8/22/2013 1:47 PM:

Hi, I'm considering buying an ASH26 which has had a major wing

repair. If there are any owners here I would be very grateful if they

could share the frequencies quoted in their delivery documentation

It might be more valuable to have them show you the pictures and videos

of the proof loading tests done after the repair.

email me)

- "Transponders in Sailplanes - Feb/2010" also ADS-B, PCAS, Flarm

http://tinyurl.com/yb3xywl

Hi Eric, its a long time since I saw you last, in Bristol I think. Do you still have your 26E? I tried to join the ASH26 Google group to get in touch again. If you could look at your original docs I would be very grateful. I don't have the info from the previous owner yet
Old August 23rd 13, 08:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Thursday, August 22, 2013 7:45:37 PM UTC-4, Eric Greenwell wrote:
wrote, On 8/22/2013 1:47 PM: Hi, I'm considering buying an ASH26 which has had a major wing repair. If there are any owners here I would be very grateful if they could share the frequencies quoted in their delivery documentation It might be more valuable to have them show you the pictures and videos of the proof loading tests done after the repair. -- Eric Greenwell - Washington State, USA (change ".netto" to ".us" to email me) - "Transponders in Sailplanes - Feb/2010" also ADS-B, PCAS, Flarm http://tinyurl.com/yb3xywl

If the repair has been done iaw the manufacturer's repair instructions there should be no reason to do any test loading of the repaired part. I have heard of this being done only once and, if I recall correctly, it was JJ after he did a wing root rebuild with spar splice on his Genesis.
FWIW
UH
Old August 23rd 13, 09:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]

wrote, On 8/23/2013 12:33 PM:
[...]

Mansberger also did it on a DG 400 he repaired while he was at Minden.

http://www.mansbergeraircraft.com/ma...y%20N321V.html

Old August 24th 13, 03:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JJ Sinclair[_2_]

On Friday, August 23, 2013 12:33:01 PM UTC-7, wrote:
[...]

The problem with doing a spar cap repair is none of the manufactures repair manuals deal with it, Schleicher only mentions that cap repairs at the wing tip should be 100 to 1 and at the root 400 to 1. I wrote to one of Genesis-2 design team members and got his OK to go ahead with my repair scheme. The prior owner of my ship tried to land on a county road and caught the left wing tip on a steel fence post. That ground looped him head-long into the fence at touch-down speed! The next post penetrated the D-tube back to the spar right in front of a 5" inspection hole located behind the spar. The wing flexed back, the carbon spar snapped and 5 feet of the left wing tip, fell to the ground.

As the left wing tip was being severed, the cockpit was slamming into the barbed-wires! All 4 strands broke through the canopy, ripped the compass off the top of the instrument panel and then hit the pilot in the face! His life was saved because the fuselage was going down into the road-side ditch as the wires ripped through the cockpit and rode up and over his face! Need I say that county roads make a poor choice for a landing?

The ship was out of production and no replacement wing was available. The insurance company 'totaled' the ship and put it up for salvage bid. The spar repair was complicated because the caps are made from grouping 1/8" carbon rods with over 100 at the root and 26 at the tip. Spar taper is achieved by dropping a carbon rod every 3", or so. I decided on 200 to 1 and removed the outer skin some 5' inboard which made the scarf start just outboard of the wing tank (thank God). Using a carbide disk in my hand saw. I set the depth to 1/8" and removed the first row of carbon rods. Then (moving outboard) I set the depth to 1/4" and removed the second layer........then 3/8", etc.

I set the gig on my 25' level table using the good right wing with a saddle at the root, tip and near the break. Saddles were made for both sides of the 'good' wing. Reverse the saddles and lay in the parts to set up the top spar cap repair on the broken wing. Replacement rods were run as long as possible, remembering the 'drop a rod' every 3" must continue in the repair area and the rod bundle must be wrapped in a cloth bundle. With the wing perfectly aligned, we laid in something like 50 rods, all wet out and set in flox mixture, wrapped in 92110 fiberglass cloth. I covered this with aluminum wrap and set a 2X4 on top with lead weights to keep things in place. As much wing skin was replaced as could be accomplished from top side then we
carefully raised the wing and laid it upside down using the other side wing saddles.

OK, the wing is back together and straight, but is it as strong as it once was? I asked Stan Hall (RIP) and he told me there is only one way to know for certain. TEST IT. The wing in flight carries its own weight and sees as a load only the fuselage with everything in it, mainly the pilot. That is the weight I used X 5.3 G's. The wing was assembled upside down on saw-horses and some 2600# of sand was laid on, two bags at a time working both wings together.

Now I know my wing repair is strong enough, because I have tested it to the maximum stress it should ever see (if the ship is flown within manufactures limits)
JJ
Old August 24th 13, 04:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_5_]

On Sat, 24 Aug 2013 07:59:36 -0700, JJ Sinclair wrote:

TEST IT. The wing in flight carries its own weight
and sees as a load only the fuselage with everything in it, mainly the
pilot. That is the weight I used X 5.3 G's. The wing was assembled
upside down on saw-horses and some 2600# of sand was laid on, two bags
at a time working both wings together.

Out of pure curiosity, what spanwise load distribution did you use?
Elliptical or is there some other preferable distribution?

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK
Old August 25th 13, 03:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JJ Sinclair[_2_]

On Thursday, August 22, 2013 1:47:32 PM UTC-7, wrote:
Hi, I'm considering buying an ASH26 which has had a major wing repair. If there are any owners here I would be very grateful if they could share the frequencies quoted in their delivery documentation

Andy Smith (ASW28 owner flying at Bicester in the UK)

I followed Stan Hall's excellent article published in Soaring Mag. Jan 1982.. The flying weight of the ship - wing weight was multiplied by 5.3 G's, divided by total wing area = pounds per square foot. The wing was marked off into 24" span wise sections and the area in each section was multiplied by the #/sq' obtained above to show weight needed in each section. In reality, the inboard sections needed 2 deep sand bags and the outboard sections needed only one bag. The wing tried to twist as load was applied, but two hundred pounds of sand on top of the rear lift fitting carry-through bar stopped this.
The Genesis wing hardly bent at all under full load. Earlier we had tested a G-103 wing and the tips moved about 5 feet under full load. A picture showing the wing under load is proof positive of a good repair.
JJ

ASH26 engine extraction Ludovic[_2_] Soaring 1 August 19th 12 02:21 PM
Whistle for your frequency? -b- Instrument Flight Rules 12 May 26th 09 05:46 PM
approach Frequency AliR Piloting 10 July 7th 05 06:08 PM
SNA VFR approach frequency abripl Piloting 2 March 20th 05 09:22 PM
KT-76A frequency Ray Godwin Owning 3 March 12th 04 03:42 AM