EAA Chapte Tools

Old March 1st 04, 11:07 PM

Default EAA Chapte Tools

The local EAA chapter (with 20 or so builder/flyers and 20 more
talker/looker's) has decided to purchase tools for loan to chapter members.
In general, these will be tools that are relatively expensive (and therefore
scarce to homebuilders), specific use tools such as aircraft scales, a prop
balancer, a forced air breathing system, etc.

The chapter understands that managing the lending and return of these tools
will require a significant amount of effort, or the tools will disappear
over time.

That said, help me come up with a list of tools that are likely candidates
for the chapter's tool warehouse.

Thanks,

KB

Old March 1st 04, 11:56 PM
Drew Dalgleish

Hi Kyle I suggest you stick to tools that are only needed for a short
time not something that a member will be using for weeks or months.
Here's some things I'd like to be able to borrow
Nicopress sleeve squeezer
Mandrels for assembling hoses
hose pressure tester
Cylinder compression tester

Old March 2nd 04, 12:11 AM
nauga

Kyle Boatright wrote:

That said, help me come up with a list of tools
that are likely candidates for the chapter's tool
warehouse.

Good scales
Cylinder base wrenches
Mag timing light/buzz box
Vacuum pump wrench
Engine hoist
Comealong and scaffold
Inclinometer
Large (5x) rivet gun or big pneumatic squeezer
Dial gauge and (homemade) vertical stand
_Good_ volt-ohmmeter
Coax crimper
Battery charger
Brake bleeder
Compression tester
Aircraft stands
Hose mandrels

....and a ton more.

Dave 'Christmas in March' Hyde

Old March 2nd 04, 01:32 AM
Dale Alexander

Some of the things that I have personally purchased through the years and
make available to members a

Electronic Scales
Power bleeder for brakes
SWR meter for antenna tuning
Fresh air supply system for painting

When I do a weight and balance with the scales, I ask $50 rental. I take $25
for a hassle factor and ask that the other $25 be put toward whatever EAA
chapter the member belongs to.

Dale Alexander
Velocity 173 RG Stealth Gullwing

"nauga" wrote in message
link.net...

Old March 2nd 04, 02:20 AM
jls

"
wrote in message ...
The local EAA chapter (with 20 or so builder/flyers and 20 more
talker/looker's) has decided to purchase tools for loan to chapter

members.
In general, these will be tools that are relatively expensive (and

therefore
scarce to homebuilders), specific use tools such as aircraft scales, a

prop
balancer, a forced air breathing system, etc.

The chapter understands that managing the lending and return of these

tools
will require a significant amount of effort, or the tools will disappear
over time.

That said, help me come up with a list of tools that are likely

candidates
for the chapter's tool warehouse.

Thanks,

KB

52" squaring sheet metal shear -- Tennsmith or Pexto
sheet metal brakes
Kearney swager, also regular swaging tools (long handle and jackscrew)
lathes and mills (and the experts who operate them)
English wheel (also takes an expert)
instrument hole cutter
cable tensiometer
skillful chapter wives with sewing machines for cockpit covers, headliners,
upholstery, and wing envelopes
(Yeah, I'm a chauvinist.)
18' trailer and truck available for hauling the new contraption to the
airport
(plus plenty of strong backs)
HVLP paint system with fresh-air pump
50-gallon barrel BBQ cooker and fridge full o'beer
propane stoves for chili cookoffs and red aprons with "Bitch, Bitch, Bitch!"
embroidered on them
various jacks, cherry-pickers, come-alongs
pancake breakfast equipment (a must have)
A set of good (and accurate) CHT gauges for engine break-in
potato guns and if you're out in the stix, a 50 cal. sniper rifle
sheet metal shrinker and stretcher
reamers
tap and die set
valve spring compressor
ring squeezers
cylinder wrenches
good set of mikes, feelers, and telescoping gauges for measuring cylinder
wear and checking out valves, guides, rocker shafts, ring side play etc.
dial indicators
etcetera

Old March 2nd 04, 02:40 AM
Blueskies

..
" jls" wrote in message ...

Snip

Ok slipped it in ---- ROFLMAO

sheet metal shrinker and stretcher
reamers
tap and die set

snipped

Old March 3rd 04, 12:21 PM
AL

Welding equipment, maybe Tig, definitely Oxy/Acetylene.

AL

Old March 8th 04, 10:51 PM
Model Flyer

"Blueskies" wrote in message
.com...

various jacks, cherry-pickers, come-alongs

The cherry-pickers are to be used for removing bits of airplanes from
the surrounding trees, house roofs etc.:-)

--
---
Cheers,