Sleeping on long flights - What's the secret?

Old November 22nd 04, 10:14 AM
C. Osbourne

Default Sleeping on long flights - What's the secret?

Hi,

I'm going on some long flights soon, and would
really like to do some sleeping during the flights.

But somehow, I can't seem to get comfortable enough
to get to sleep. I'm 6'3" 280 lbs, and the tiny
seats are -very- uncomfortable after a few hours.
(can't afford 1st class)

Can anyone suggest a method or even proper drugs
I can use to get to sleep so the flights don't seem
so long?

Thanks for answering here...

Old November 22nd 04, 10:25 AM
Morgans

"C. Osbourne" wrote in message

Hi,

I'm going on some long flights soon, and would
really like to do some sleeping during the flights.

But somehow, I can't seem to get comfortable enough
to get to sleep. I'm 6'3" 280 lbs, and the tiny
seats are -very- uncomfortable after a few hours.
(can't afford 1st class)

Can anyone suggest a method or even proper drugs
I can use to get to sleep so the flights don't seem
so long?

Thanks for answering here...

Antihistamine.
--
Jim in NC

---

Old November 22nd 04, 10:40 AM
Sylvia Else

C. Osbourne wrote:
Hi,

I'm going on some long flights soon, and would
really like to do some sleeping during the flights.

But somehow, I can't seem to get comfortable enough
to get to sleep. I'm 6'3" 280 lbs, and the tiny
seats are -very- uncomfortable after a few hours.
(can't afford 1st class)

Can anyone suggest a method or even proper drugs
I can use to get to sleep so the flights don't seem
so long?

Thanks for answering here...

Get your doctor to prescribe a mild sedative - something like tamazepam
or serepax. Most doctors seem happy to do this, on the grounds that it's
much better for your health for you to get some sleep, than to arrive at
your destination feeling like death that's still waiting to be warmed up.

You wouldn't sleep through an emergency though - the adrenaline would
see to that.

Sylvia.

Old November 22nd 04, 11:14 AM
Ronnie H

Try to arrange your trips so that you don't absolutely have to sleep on the
plane. Then you'll be less wound up about having to sleep. Use foam
earplugs, eyeshades and one of those inflatable neck pillows. Depending on
length of trip and whether you can avoid using the bathroom, try for a
window seat. Regards

Old November 22nd 04, 11:18 AM
Phil Allison

"Sylvia Else"

I'm going on some long flights soon, and would really like to do some
sleeping during the flights.

Get your doctor to prescribe a mild sedative - something like tamazepam or
serepax.
You wouldn't sleep through an emergency though - the adrenaline would see
to that.

** Yeah, Sylvia is right for once - no way known you can continue
sleeping onboard a Boeing 747 while being sucked out the side of the plane
by a massive decompression and converted into mice meat by the starboard
inboard engine.

A real "once in a lifetime" experience that one !!!!!

................ Phil

Old November 22nd 04, 11:23 AM
Cub Driver

(I assume you're speaking of commercial flights, not GA aircraft with
yourself at the controls!)

In the days when this was important to me, I followed this routine: I
ate lightly at the airport, eschewing coffee. I made sure I had a
window seat and that I was among the first to board, so that I could
be sure of snagging a blanket and two pillows. I swallowed a Dalmane
tablet. I put one pillow against the window and the other behind my
back, and I leaned the seat back to max estension as soon as the
smoking lamp was lit.

(Indeed, smoking was as much a part of the thinking as was the need
for sleep. I sat in non-smoking so that I wouldn't feel wrecked in the
morning.)

I was asleep before drinks came around, and I stayed asleep till
coffee arrived in the morning. It wasn't ideal, but it kept me
operating next day.

Now I don't smoke, don't take sleep aids, and don't work next day
after an overnight flight. For their part, the airlines don't provide
pillows!

all the best -- Dan Ford
email: (put Cubdriver in subject line)

Warbird's Forum
www.warbirdforum.com
Piper Cub Forum www.pipercubforum.com
the blog www.danford.net
Old November 22nd 04, 12:31 PM
Sylvia Else

Phil Allison wrote:
"Sylvia Else"

I'm going on some long flights soon, and would really like to do some
sleeping during the flights.

Get your doctor to prescribe a mild sedative - something like tamazepam or
serepax.
You wouldn't sleep through an emergency though - the adrenaline would see
to that.

** Yeah, Sylvia is right for once

Thank you for that glowing endorcement, Phil.

I don't know whether this got across or not, but my point about the
emergency is that a person might have concerns that they'd be too zonked
out to look after their own welfare, for example in an evacuation. I'm
just saying that won't happen (assuming dosage rules are obeyed).

Sylvia.

Old November 22nd 04, 12:56 PM
Jay Honeck

But somehow, I can't seem to get comfortable enough
to get to sleep. I'm 6'3" 280 lbs, and the tiny
seats are -very- uncomfortable after a few hours.
(can't afford 1st class)

There is simply no way a 6' 3" guy is going to be able to sleep for more
than 30 minutes on a modern airliner. They are not designed for comfort,
and you will cripple yourself trying.

Even if you take a sedative, or a few stiff drinks, you will awaken with
such a crick in your neck that you'll wish you hadn't slept at all.

It's a sad fact of modern airlines, but they're just not interested in your
comfort.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old November 22nd 04, 01:20 PM
Rich Ahrens

Sylvia Else wrote:

C. Osbourne wrote:

Hi,

I'm going on some long flights soon, and would really like to do some
sleeping during the flights.
But somehow, I can't seem to get comfortable enough to get to sleep.
I'm 6'3" 280 lbs, and the tiny seats are -very- uncomfortable after a
few hours. (can't afford 1st class)
Can anyone suggest a method or even proper drugs I can use to get to
sleep so the flights don't seem so long?
Thanks for answering here...

Get your doctor to prescribe a mild sedative - something like tamazepam
or serepax.

Now the twit is trying to prescribe. No known limits to her BS...