Camloc Installation Tools

Old May 3rd 04, 01:08 AM
jls

Default Camloc Installation Tools

Anybody ever made any of these? The pliers would be easy to make. The
drill jig is $475, the dimpling tools about $300 apiece, and the lockwasher
tool $100. Anybody ever make any of these, or are they patented? If they
are patented, maybe that explains the exorbitant prices.

I made and regularly use tools for installing dzus buttons and their
receptacles. I use them on my airplane. Does that make me a felon?

Old May 3rd 04, 01:41 AM
JDupre5762

I made and regularly use tools for installing dzus buttons and their
receptacles. I use them on my airplane. Does that make me a felon?

I would think only if you were trying to sell the tools commercially. Anyway
go ahead and make them. I won't tell.

Old May 3rd 04, 04:49 AM
Ron Wanttaja

On Mon, 03 May 2004 02:02:22 GMT, Dillon Pyron
wrote:

On Mon, 03 May 2004 00:45:51 GMT, Ron Wanttaja
wrote:

Wouldn't make him a felon, in any case. The worst he'd be doing is
violating a patent, which is a civil case.

You can reproduce any patented item for your own personal use. If
it's used commercially (a tool) or sold, then you're just waiting to
be served.

I believe you are incorrect. The owner of a patent has the *exclusive*
right to make the item. See:

http://www.lawmart.com/difference.htm

If an item is copyrighted, on the other hand, you generally can reproduce
it for private use under the 'Fair Use' provisions of the law.

Ron Wanttaja
Old May 3rd 04, 01:34 PM
Ernest Christley

wrote:

Wouldn't make him a felon, in any case. The worst he'd be doing is
violating a patent, which is a civil case.

You can reproduce any patented item for your own personal use. If
it's used commercially (a tool) or sold, then you're just waiting to
be served.

I believe you are incorrect. The owner of a patent has the *exclusive*
right to make the item. See:

http://www.lawmart.com/difference.htm

If an item is copyrighted, on the other hand, you generally can reproduce
it for private use under the 'Fair Use' provisions of the law.

Ron Wanttaja

You are quite correct, but theory and reality quickly diverge (as
usual). If you build the tool, the owner of the copyright has the basis
for a lawsuit, but the amount of damages the owner can hope to collect
is limited to the financial damages recieved as a result of you using
your own creation instead of theirs. Unless you've set up shop to sell
quite a few of these, it wouldn't be worth the lawsuits application fee 8*)

That is probably the reason that the myth of 'you can make it as long as
your not selling it' has so much staying power. Because for all
'practical' purposes, it's true.

On another note. DZUS fasteners are pretty old. Is the patent still in
effect. Patents only last 20yrs in most cases.

--
http://www.ernest.isa-geek.org/
"Ignorance is mankinds normal state,
Old May 3rd 04, 04:27 PM
jls

"Ernest Christley" wrote in message
. com...
[...]
On another note. DZUS fasteners are pretty old. Is the patent still in
effect. Patents only last 20yrs in most cases.

I kinda doubt the tools I made for installing Dzus buttons would be a cause
of action even if the patent were still alive. The tools for installing
the grummets and the receptacules are fairly simple. Futhahmoah, I doubt
the tools one would make to install camlocs or southco fasteners would
violate any patent unless you exactly copied THEIR tools. And even then
I'm still skeptickle. Geezus, Youseff et Maria, the silly little drill
jig for installing the camloc receptacles is priced at $475 in ACS. It's
practically the same thing as a drill jig for anchor nuts and I know goddamn
well those are not patented. Uncle Sam, do you have a patent on those?

If zoozes are not in the public domain I'm a monkey's uncle. Matter of
fact you can buy them at auto speed shops and they don't even call them
zoozes.

--
http://www.ernestisasweetie.org/

Old May 3rd 04, 08:26 PM
L.D.

jls wrote:

[...]

OK, I'm no A&P and haven't been to mechanic school. I have been
installing camloc receptacles for 30 years and never ever heard of one
of those drill jigs. I use one of those, I guess you call them step
drills. I don't see how anything could be better than those even if they
were the same $15.00 or so. $475.00!! OUCH! I think I would gnaw a hole
in there first
Old May 4th 04, 03:45 AM
B2431

From: "L.D."

jls wrote:

"Ernest Christley" wrote in message
r.com...
[...]

[...]

I wonder if ASS has sold any of those. I can imagine them having the same one
on the shelf for years.

Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired