14v Battery Question.

Old June 5th 15, 11:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default 14v Battery Question.

We have an XCOM radio in one of our gliders.
How do other build a 14v battery?

r/Jim
Old June 5th 15, 11:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bill D

On Friday, June 5, 2015 at 4:24:53 PM UTC-6, wrote:
We have an XCOM radio in one of our gliders.
How do other build a 14v battery?

r/Jim

The heck with the battery. Get a 13.8V output buck-boost regulator and use any battery you like that has a voltage with the input range of the regulator.

Old June 6th 15, 12:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andrew[_14_]

We had to do this in our glider for an old radio that required a 14v system..

The original owners solution was a 12V SLA in series with a 2V SLA. Yes, 2V sealed lead acid cells do exist. We've used these to build 14V packs:

http://www.power-sonic.com/ps_psg_series.php#2volt
http://www.sonnenschein.org/A500.htm

This is most effective when both packs have a similar Ampere-hour capacity. Otherwise, the lower capacity pack will be the weak point in the setup.

We got tired of messing with the 14V and switched to 12V LiFePO4 batteries which have a very gradual voltage drop as they're discharged. The result is longer operating time before the LiFePO4 drops below the radios minimum voltage. At least, this is compared to our old SLA setup.

Old June 6th 15, 01:25 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

I used a 6 volt and two 4 volt SLA batteries to make up a 14 volt pack.
Now I use LiFePO4 batteries which produce 13.4 - 13.8 volts and I've
never seen them drop below 12.8 volts.

--
Dan Marotta

Old June 6th 15, 02:40 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Friday, June 5, 2015 at 6:24:53 PM UTC-4, wrote:
We have an XCOM radio in one of our gliders.
How do other build a 14v battery?

r/Jim

my error, it is a MicroAir that wants 14v

Our fleet is all XCOM except our B-4

Please excuse the mix-up
Thanks for your replies

r/Jim

Garmin 396 battery question Paul kgyy Piloting 2 November 16th 07 05:13 PM
Battery Question mbremer216 Owning 7 October 6th 06 10:16 PM
Yet Another Battery Question P. Corbett Soaring 5 April 26th 06 02:22 AM
Battery Question [email protected] Soaring 19 September 15th 05 01:38 AM
Handheld battery question RobsSanta Piloting 8 September 19th 04 03:07 PM