Gear handle design

Old July 27th 15, 02:57 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
bumper[_4_]

Default Gear handle design

When I bought my current ASH26E in '03, I found the Schleicher gear handle (standard vertical design) wanting, at least for me. Problem was, especially on retraction, pulling the handle back towards me to raise the gear, my arm strength diminished the closer my elbow got to my torso . . . just when it should be finishing its stroke and snicking into the up detent, I'd run out of oomph just as it was moving more vetically and increasing its resistance - - or something like that. Doing the little push over maneuver helped, but seemed clumsy and sometimes needed to be repeated with the gear swinging in the breeze.

I set about designing some new handles, one of which worked really well and solved the problem for me (see youtube link below for 1 minute demo). This handle installs with a large hidden set screw after sliding off the original handle. It is intended for ASH26E, 31Mi, and 30Mi Schleichers, however, the design my work well on other gliders, but the milled slot for the original handle may have to be adjusted to fit.

In this video, the glider is suspended from a sling and hoist in my hangar, no air stream to assist the wheel moving aft. The redesigned handle makes it easy, not a problem even for my old arms.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2NEjytbOWbI

all the best,

bumper
Old July 27th 15, 03:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob T

Excellent design!

Bob T.
Old July 27th 15, 09:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS

Bumper, you're making the mod available? Nice.
The ASH26 has the heaviest-feeling landing gear of any single seat glider I've flown. For many pilots, locking the gear in UP position is awkward. This mod looks similar to the handle Rex put in 26012 for me. The ease of use compared to the original was great.
While visiting the factory a while ago, noticed that even Martin Heide's personal ASH26E had a modified gear handle.
Jim
(user of QV kits and MK-something yaw strings)

On Sunday, July 26, 2015 at 7:58:03 PM UTC-7, Bob T wrote:
Excellent design!

Bob T.

Old July 27th 15, 09:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Very, very nice! That looks an lot like an LS-6 gear handle. Did you
use that for inspiration or did you come up with the design yourelf?

--
Dan Marotta
Old July 28th 15, 02:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
bumper[_4_]

On Monday, July 27, 2015 at 1:21:12 PM UTC-7, JS wrote:
Bumper, you're making the mod available? Nice.
The ASH26 has the heaviest-feeling landing gear of any single seat glider I've flown. For many pilots, locking the gear in UP position is awkward. This mod looks similar to the handle Rex put in 26012 for me. The ease of use compared to the original was great.
While visiting the factory a while ago, noticed that even Martin Heide's personal ASH26E had a modified gear handle.
Jim

Agreed, Schleicher may build their main gear hell for stout, but as delivered, not the easiest to operate unless more buff and younger than me (g).

Yes, I made a batch of eight which I priced at $160 (includes shipping). I have two left.

I don't have CNC machines and (like pretty much everything else I do) it took twice as long to make them than expected. After first batch is gone I'll re-evaluate pricing (I really don't want to work hard for a living anymore . . . but do like sharing stuff, which unfortunately is incongruous with my mostly enjoying making the "first one" of something.

Dan,

No, I didn't know about LS's gear handle. The Bumper Gear Handle was independently inspired by my woefully inadequate upper body strength - - I guess (g).

bumper
Old July 28th 15, 09:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Kevin Neave[_2_]

I presume I can't see the YouTube post as I'm the wrong (or at least other)
side of the Atlantic.

KN

=

Old July 28th 15, 01:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
David Kinsell[_2_]

On Mon, 27 Jul 2015 13:21:10 -0700, JS wrote:

The ASH26 has the heaviest-feeling landing gear of any single seat
glider I've flown. For many pilots, locking the gear in UP position is
awkward.

Maybe there were improvements made to the gear in later production
units. I fly one of those, and it never occurred to me that there was an
issue.
Old July 28th 15, 04:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

One technique I use to facilitate raising the gear is to simply generate zero G's while pulling on the gear handle. It doesn't take much of a "pushover" to make the gear weightless - it practically retracts itself. Less stress on all the mechanical parts too. You could use the same technique to help with the last 2 inches after lowering the gear... pull the gear out of detent and let it fall down at 1G (level flight). Once down, generate just enough extra positive G's to help get the gear past over-center and in place. Gravity can be your friend. Ok, maybe not.

That being said, I still like that gear handle. Great design.

-Dirk

Old August 17th 15, 09:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

bumber, Do you still have any of these handles? At what price? Do you have any idea if it will work on a Discus?
You can reply by private email to jdukecrna at gmail.com if you like.
Thanks,
JDuke

Old August 17th 15, 09:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Monday, August 17, 2015 at 3:12:39 PM UTC-5, wrote:
bumber, Do you still have any of these handles? At what price? Do you have any idea if it will work on a Discus?
You can reply by private email to jdukecrna at gmail.com if you like.
Thanks,
JDuke

Bumper -

I'm J. Duke's partner and the one who seemingly can never get the gear up on our Discus CS. Do you know if it will fit the Discus CS, and if it does as John asked do you still have one for sale?

Please let John or me ) know.

Thank you.

Rick