A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Getting more XC pilots racing

Old October 21st 16, 04:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default Getting more XC pilots racing

I've been kinda quite here about the subject but would like to share with those who follow this forum a program we have been running in the Soaring Club of Houston the past 3 or 4 years.

The program is the weekend Task Days where we get together and fly tasks, score them, and hang out for a BBQ after flying. The format is not new and it is run at several other clubs including MASA, GTA, ASA, and probably others I don't know about.

It's low cost - a tow, and does not eat up vacation time if you have weekends off. This year was a very poor WX year for TX, yet we have had 33 Task Days so far and will most likely fly tasks this upcoming weekend. For a look at the participation go to the following link: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bx...1VsS2ZlWTNad0k

Participation in our Task Days has increased 2 fold over the last 2 years with 30+ pilots participating this year.

To make this a learning experience we have created an analysis tool for the task days flights and we go through the analysis of each pilots flight against their peers and help them identify the gaps for improvement. We meet in the morning for a pilots briefing, set a task, fly, and then hang out by the pool (summer), or fire (winter).

What does it take to grow our XC and racing numbers - pilots who give of their time to make this type of program happen. We are fortunate as a club to have several of these pilots, including a National champion.

How to get started - just get out and do it - don't wait for someone else!

Please don't hesitate to contact me if you would like to learn more.

Tony Smolder
TS1
Soaring Club of Houston
Old October 21st 16, 05:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

On Thursday, October 20, 2016 at 10:22:45 PM UTC-5, wrote:
I've been kinda quite here about the subject but would like to share with those who follow this forum a program we have been running in the Soaring Club of Houston the past 3 or 4 years.

The program is the weekend Task Days where we get together and fly tasks, score them, and hang out for a BBQ after flying. The format is not new and it is run at several other clubs including MASA, GTA, ASA, and probably others I don't know about.

It's low cost - a tow, and does not eat up vacation time if you have weekends off. This year was a very poor WX year for TX, yet we have had 33 Task Days so far and will most likely fly tasks this upcoming weekend. For a look at the participation go to the following link: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bx...1VsS2ZlWTNad0k

Participation in our Task Days has increased 2 fold over the last 2 years with 30+ pilots participating this year.

To make this a learning experience we have created an analysis tool for the task days flights and we go through the analysis of each pilots flight against their peers and help them identify the gaps for improvement. We meet in the morning for a pilots briefing, set a task, fly, and then hang out by the pool (summer), or fire (winter).

What does it take to grow our XC and racing numbers - pilots who give of their time to make this type of program happen. We are fortunate as a club to have several of these pilots, including a National champion.

How to get started - just get out and do it - don't wait for someone else!

Please don't hesitate to contact me if you would like to learn more.

Tony Smolder
TS1
Soaring Club of Houston

The Chicago Glider Club has been running a similar contest for N. Illinois each season for at least 15 years now:
http://www.chicagogliderclub.org/ind...-02-13-24/nisc
At least 3 flights of more than 50 mi handicapped have to be turned in to score a given day. Speed score, winner gets 1000 points, Mike Shakman scores with Winscore. The best 8 flights of the season count toward the overall score. Declared tasks get a 10% bonus. Our participation over the years is a total of around 15 pilots. We prefer modified MAT's, 2-4 hours min time. Water ballast is allowed.
Herb, J7
Old October 21st 16, 08:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

I really like the weekend contest concept. as I have read on other strings - week long contests and 2 week long Nationals make it so most working people can only do 1 or 2 a year.

I would love to see how you do it as a process.

Here are a couple of issues I am sure you have to over come or at least take into consideration.

1. how do you keep it from disturbing the current operation - meaning who gets towed when?

2. most clubs in our area do not tow non members - so how can you get more than just your own club members.

3. is it SAA sanctioned so it gets covered by insurance.

4. US or FAI rules.......... JUST KIDDING LOL

We have a course that we can do called the Gov Cup - and it does get pretty good participation - but this kind of weekend flying would be better to get newer pilots to get involved - so I downloaded your set up page...... who knows maybe I can try this in the Spring. I just don't know if clubs or commercial operations see it as a positive thing.

I have been in a few sports in my life and I just do not see how anyone can get competitive flying only a hand full of contests. And contests are where you can make new friends and stretch you skills out.

Thanks

Bill, WH

Old October 22nd 16, 04:28 AM

First recorded activity by AviationBanter: Oct 2016

The key point that I'm reading into the OP's post is the idea of having low-key not-too-highly-competitive organized activities that are, at the same time, fun for the pros and yet inviting for newbies alike, and in which the pros are encouraged to mentor XC beginners and wannabees to help get them all into it. Amirite?

Out here in PASCO territory (Region 11), there's an on-going low-key contest in which XC fliers attempt to capture the PASCO Egg, a carved wooden egg trophy, to bring home to their home base. The rules are deliberately devised to be simple and encouraging for XC beginners.

The basic task is to fly from any Region 11 airport or glider port that doesn't have the egg to the port that does have the egg, whereupon the egg is captured and brought to that pilot's originating airport, where it remains until someone else captures it again.

Here's the PASCO egg web page with some info: http://www.pacificsoaring.org/egg/
Here's a page from Nevada Soaring Assoc from 2009 with some then-recent capture history and photos: http://nevadasoaring.com/picture-gallery/pasco-egg/

Organized activities in any sport that are specifically designed to be attractive and encouraging to newbies are good to have. I'm just a pre-solo n00b myself, but this is the kind of stuff I can be looking forward to.

-- J. J.
===========================