FlarmNet

Old April 17th 17, 04:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Default FlarmNet

An odd thing happened yesterday. Throughout the day, I kept seeing the
same glider, 5D, on my ClearNav, fed by a PowerFlarm portable. As we we
approached the airport, I tried to contact the glider to coordinate our
approaches and got no reply. Finally the glider pilot announced her
intentions and I queried on her position. It was who I thought, having
recognized her voice and call sign. I know she's the original owner of
this glider so I don't understand why the ID was wrong. I just
installed a new FlarmNet database about a week ago.

This has happened once before prompting the recent download. Other
gliders flying out of our home field display with the proper call
signs. Any ideas?
--
Dan, 5J
Old April 17th 17, 04:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Daly[_2_]

On Monday, April 17, 2017 at 11:00:40 AM UTC-4, Dan Marotta wrote:
An odd thing happened yesterday. Throughout the day, I kept seeing the
same glider, 5D, on my ClearNav, fed by a PowerFlarm portable. As we we
approached the airport, I tried to contact the glider to coordinate our
approaches and got no reply. Finally the glider pilot announced her
intentions and I queried on her position. It was who I thought, having
recognized her voice and call sign. I know she's the original owner of
this glider so I don't understand why the ID was wrong. I just
installed a new FlarmNet database about a week ago.

This has happened once before prompting the recent download. Other
gliders flying out of our home field display with the proper call
signs. Any ideas?
--
Dan, 5J

Have them check their flarmcfg.txt file - flarm id - $PFLAC,S,ID,YOUR 6-DIG code; they can find the correct one for their registration at http://www.avionictools.com/icao.php .

Then go to the registration page at FLARMnet to make sure they are the same.

I've seen people borrowing a usb stick to update their flarm, and it also over writes the flarmcfg.txt file; this is very confusing (seeing a Puchacz when the flarm id is an ASW-24..).

Old April 17th 17, 04:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS

On Monday, April 17, 2017 at 8:00:40 AM UTC-7, Dan Marotta wrote:
An odd thing happened yesterday. Throughout the day, I kept seeing the
same glider, 5D, on my ClearNav, fed by a PowerFlarm portable. As we we
approached the airport, I tried to contact the glider to coordinate our
approaches and got no reply. Finally the glider pilot announced her
intentions and I queried on her position. It was who I thought, having
recognized her voice and call sign. I know she's the original owner of
this glider so I don't understand why the ID was wrong. I just
installed a new FlarmNet database about a week ago.

This has happened once before prompting the recent download. Other
gliders flying out of our home field display with the proper call
signs. Any ideas?
--
Dan, 5J

If the glider you were trying to speak with was not 5D, perhaps it was a typo in the real 5D Flarmnet setup.
Jim

Old April 17th 17, 06:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tango Eight

On Monday, April 17, 2017 at 11:00:40 AM UTC-4, Dan Marotta wrote:
An odd thing happened yesterday. Throughout the day, I kept seeing the
same glider, 5D, on my ClearNav, fed by a PowerFlarm portable. As we we
approached the airport, I tried to contact the glider to coordinate our
approaches and got no reply. Finally the glider pilot announced her
intentions and I queried on her position. It was who I thought, having
recognized her voice and call sign. I know she's the original owner of
this glider so I don't understand why the ID was wrong. I just
installed a new FlarmNet database about a week ago.

This has happened once before prompting the recent download. Other
gliders flying out of our home field display with the proper call
signs. Any ideas?
--
Dan, 5J

Also note... in the event that the flarm radio you are receiving isn't in your flarmnet database, CN displays instead the last two characters of the flarm radio ID.

best,
Evan Ludeman / T8
Old April 17th 17, 08:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Koerner

Maybe it would be a good idea to use lowercase for radio IDs and uppercase for actual contest numbers to avoid this sort of confusion.
Old April 18th 17, 02:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Evan,

That would be the answer. A check of her registration in the FAA
database, showed that 5D is, indeed, the last 2 hex characters of her
ICAO address.

Dan

On 4/17/2017 11:31 AM, Tango Eight wrote:
[...]

FLARM/Flarmnet question Hartley Falbaum[_2_] Soaring 2 June 23rd 16 12:36 PM
Flarmnet problems on Flarmview Karl Kunz[_2_] Soaring 13 May 11th 16 02:23 AM
(USA) FlarmNet usage 2NO Soaring 15 April 30th 13 11:58 AM
PF Portable and Flarmnet Andy[_1_] Soaring 0 October 5th 12 02:55 PM
FlarmNet Brad[_2_] Soaring 6 August 26th 12 06:35 PM