FAA suspends Bruno Vassel's Pilot Certificate

Old June 28th 20, 01:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Scott Williams[_2_]

Default FAA suspends Bruno Vassel's Pilot Certificate

On Friday, June 26, 2020 at 8:46:20 PM UTC-5, son_of_flubber wrote:
I searched and did not find that this topic was already posted on RAS.

Here's the video that documents the infraction https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...ure=emb_lo go

Here's Bruno's recent comment:

2 weeks ago
Update 10 months later: I uploaded this video and 4 days later had over 200k views. The video got reported and the FAA had serious concerns with this performance/flight. Lesson learned: Don't fly any kind of performance for any group or crowd (even if asked by the airshow management and cleared through the airboss) if you are NOT an approved airshow performer (have something called a SAC card)!!! The FAA will surely come after you with violations. The end result for me: $$ thousands spent on legal fees and I will soon be taking a 7 month break from flying. I was told I was very luck to not lose my license over this. Yikes! Why am I sharing all this? I only had good intentions of showing what a glider is capable of doing, but I am not a trained airshow performer and I didn't know the rules for airshow performances. If in doubt - don't do it! I hope this will help other pilots to not have to go through what I have over the last 10 months. Cheers and stay safe! Bruno - B4

Thanks for sharing this information. Our Club has participated in airshows with static displays and provided aerotows to glider performers. I can honestly say that if an airshow boss had asked us for a demo flight, we might have been eager to show off a glider.
I wonder if the airboss was totally unaware of sailplane performance and expected a sedate, boring sledride from release to landing.
cheers,
Scott
Old June 28th 20, 02:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Karl Striedieck[_2_]

Thanks for the report Bruno. I'd bet my (so far unnoticed) "infractions" exceed yours by a factor of 10.

Also thanks for the countless hours and hassle you contribute to the sport.

One observation that may have a safety implication was noted at 6:15 on the video. The left tip was probably closer to the ground than I would like.

Hoping you find a buddy with nice two-seater to slip some surly bonds in the immediate future.

KS

Old June 28th 20, 03:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I agree with Karl..........when that low...........nose up, then roll..........like checking for your spot on the range.
Enjoy your videos,
JJ
Old June 28th 20, 03:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Roy B.

The sad part about this is that while the suspension ends after a few months the effect of it goes on forever in insurance applications ("Have you ever had any enforcement actions?"), in Glider club applications ("any incidents or suspensions?") etc. The FAA used to have a policy of expunging suspensions after a period of no further violations - but that policy ended a few years ago.

To restate what KS said, the only difference between us and Bruno is that Bruno got caught. I got caught too (low level flying in a J3 Cub within 500' of a Park Ranger I never saw). All you can do is learn from it and avoid putting yourself in a position where your flying can be criticized by the FAA. Arguing about special treatment for Boeing, for Harrison Ford, or others is pointless. We put our own shirt tail in the wringer. Bruno did a service to warn others.

ROY
Old June 28th 20, 09:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

I watched a glider touch a wing tip to the ground in a low, low final
turn.Â* Pilot walked away, the glider is still in Fidel's shop.

--
Dan, 5J
Old June 28th 20, 10:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Sunday, June 28, 2020 at 10:21:01 AM UTC-4, wrote:
I agree with Karl..........when that low...........nose up, then roll..........like checking for your spot on the range.
Enjoy your videos,
JJ

The origin of the "50 foot" rule in contests, when using the line finish, comes from a pilot turning before pulling and running his wing tip through a corn field.
Observers said it sounded like a machine gun. He landed safely.
Yep- gotta pull before you roll.
UH
Old June 28th 20, 11:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Youngblood

On Sunday, June 28, 2020 at 9:25:43 AM UTC-4, Karl Striedieck wrote:
Thanks for the report Bruno. I'd bet my (so far unnoticed) "infractions" exceed yours by a factor of 10.

Also thanks for the countless hours and hassle you contribute to the sport.

One observation that may have a safety implication was noted at 6:15 on the video. The left tip was probably closer to the ground than I would like.

Hoping you find a buddy with nice two-seater to slip some surly bonds in the immediate future.

KS

Well only thing that I can say is too bad the FAA guy had nothing better to do than bust a good ole glider guy. I liked the pass, I have seen better, by none other than the late E9. Yes I saw Alfonso do a pass where the grass was blazing and then pull up into a loop as Bennie and I were watching and laughing as he pulled out of the loop and made a 180 to land. E9, we miss you! Bob
Old June 29th 20, 12:38 AM
Delta8 Delta8 is offline
Member

Location: Pa.

[quote=Roy B.;t policy ended a few years ago.

To restate what KS said, the only difference between us and Bruno is that Bruno got caught. I got caught too (low level flying in a J3 Cub within 500' of a Park Ranger I never saw). s.

ROY[/QUOTE]

So motoring down a ridge is infraction if hikers are there ?????
Old June 29th 20, 12:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob T

Have I missed something.... I notice on yesterday's OLC that he posted a flight on OLC in his 27. ?????? https://www.onlinecontest.org/olc-3....l?dsId=7906941
Old June 29th 20, 01:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Roy B.

"Have I missed something.... I notice on yesterday's OLC that he posted a flight on OLC in his 27."

A suspension usually begins 30 days from the date of the order.
Roy