New, free viewer for IGC logger files

Old August 20th 15, 10:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Alistair Green[_2_]

Default New, free viewer for IGC logger files

Dear Pilots,

Recently I started using XCSoar on my smartphone to record IGC logger
traces of my flights in club gliders. Naturally I wanted to review my
flights on a PC afterwards, but this was not easy to do without expensive
commercial software. Some free programs exist, but I found them to be
tricky to set up and awkward to use on a small laptop screen.

So, I decided to write my own IGC viewing software, and release it for
free.

The result is now online at:

https://alistairmgreen.github.io/jsigc/

and the full source code is available from:

https://github.com/alistairmgreen/jsigc

It is written in JavaScript and runs inside a web browser, which means that
no installation is required - simply go to the web site, click the button
and select a file. (Note that all of the processing happens on your
computer; nothing is ever uploaded to the Internet.)

The layout of the web page adjusts itself to match the screen size. I have
used it on a large desktop monitor, a 15" laptop, a small netbook and a
smartphone.

At present, the software has the following features:

* Interactive map showing the glider's flight path and the declared task
(if any). The map data comes from the OpenStreetMap project.

* Graph showing the GPS height and pressure altitude as a function of time,
either in metres or in feet.

* Display of any "header" information included in the file (pilot name,
glider registration etc.)

Of course it is by no means a replacement for "SeeYou" or similar, but I
hope that it will be useful to somebody.

I intend to make further improvements in the future, and would be grateful
for any input from the community. Comments, suggestions and bug reports can
be left on the GitHub issue tracker:

https://github.com/alistairmgreen/jsigc/issues

Anyone with programming or web design skills is more than welcome to make
their own copy of the code and add some new features or cosmetic tweaks. I
would love to receive a GitHub "pull request" with your enhancements.

Thanks for reading.

Regards,

Alistair Green
Bath, Wilts & North Dorset Gliding Club, UK

P.S. In case you have never heard of "GitHub", it is one of the biggest
computer programming sites on the Web. It provides tools for sharing
program source code and merging together changes made by different people,
allowing programmers all over the world to collaborate.

Old August 21st 15, 12:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Colin Wray[_3_]

Brilliant Alistair, many thanks.
It seems churlish to suggest improvements, but you did ask:
Some way of relating time/height with position on the map ?

Old August 21st 15, 12:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Alistair Green[_2_]

At 23:06 20 August 2015, Colin Wray wrote:
Brilliant Alistair, many thanks.
It seems churlish to suggest improvements, but you did ask:
Some way of relating time/height with position on the map ?

Thanks, I'm glad you like it.

In terms of improvements, I had been thinking much the same thing - maybe a
time slider that would move markers on the map and the graph?

It also really needs a way to read accurate values off the graph - "Does
this qualify for Silver Height or not?"

Regards,

Alistair

Old August 21st 15, 01:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Soartech

Looks very nice. I often like to see my flights on map as opposed to Google Earth.
However the date of my flight is a day before it occured. Not sure why. I will have to check the date/time in my Android tablet.
Old August 21st 15, 01:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Soartech

On Thursday, August 20, 2015 at 8:29:18 PM UTC-4, Soartech wrote:
Looks very nice. I often like to see my flights on map as opposed to Google Earth.
However the date of my flight is a day before it occured. Not sure why. I will have to check the date/time in my Android tablet.

Just checked the date/time and they are both right on. You may have a problem. I used XCsoar to record the IGC file.
Old August 21st 15, 02:56 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Very cool app. I also see the date problem with my flight date one day earlier than actual. Flight can be downloaded he http://crosscountry.aero/flight/view/6074

You might want to use some of the features of crosscountry.aero as ideas for improving your app. It's always good to have some competition among these tool developers.

5Z

Old August 21st 15, 05:15 AM
Brad Alston Brad Alston is offline
Member

Location: Salt Lake City, UT USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alistair Green[_2_] View Post
Dear Pilots,

So, I decided to write my own IGC viewing software, and release it for
free.

Well done Alistair! Thank you for sharing your talents with us.

Brad.
Old August 21st 15, 06:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Alistair Green[_2_]

At 01:56 21 August 2015, wrote:
Very cool app. I also see the date problem with my flight date one day
earlier than actual. Flight can be downloaded he
http://crosscountry.aero/flight/view/6074

You might want to use some of the features of crosscountry.aero as ideas
for improving your app. It's always good to have some competition among
these tool developers.

5Z

On Thursday, August 20, 2015 at 5:31:58 PM UTC-7, Soartech wrote:
Just checked the date/time and they are both right on. You may have a

problem. I used XCsoar to record the IGC file.

Thanks to everyone who replied. I'll have to look into the date issue; it
is probably something to do with flying in a time zone significantly
different from UTC.

I did not know about crosscountry.aero, but it looks useful!

Regards,

Alistair

Old August 22nd 15, 03:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Colin Wray[_3_]

A time slider would fix it for me.

On Friday, 21 August 2015 00:45:11 UTC+1, Alistair Green wrote:
At 23:06 20 August 2015, Colin Wray wrote:
Brilliant Alistair, many thanks.
It seems churlish to suggest improvements, but you did ask:
Some way of relating time/height with position on the map ?

Thanks, I'm glad you like it.

In terms of improvements, I had been thinking much the same thing - maybe a
time slider that would move markers on the map and the graph?

That would be an excellent answer.

Old August 24th 15, 11:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Alistair Green[_2_]

I have updated the IGC viewer app to fix the date bug.

This problem only affected users whose system clock was set to a time zone
with a negative offset from UTC. The flight date was read from the file as
UTC, but implicitly converted to local time when displayed.

The date is now always shown as UTC; a side effect is that the time of the
first position fix is also included.

At 01:56 21 August 2015, wrote:
Very cool app. I also see the date problem with my flight date one day
earlier than actual. Flight can be downloaded he
http://crosscountry.aero/flight/view/6074

You might want to use some of the features of crosscountry.aero as ideas
for improving your app. It's always good to have some competition among
these tool developers.

5Z

On Thursday, August 20, 2015 at 5:31:58 PM UTC-7, Soartech wrote:
Just checked the date/time and they are both right on. You may have a

problem. I used XCsoar to record the IGC file.

An archive of Flight Logger files of glider accidents? son_of_flubber Soaring 3 July 16th 14 05:55 PM
IGC file viewer Phil Soaring 3 March 7th 11 02:32 PM
PowerPoint viewer Bruce R Aviation Photos 10 March 6th 07 05:12 AM
New satellite viewer available Stubby Instrument Flight Rules 9 July 7th 05 11:48 AM
South African National Gliding Championships - Logger files Stephen Thomas Soaring 0 January 8th 04 09:28 AM