What is your go-to meal on long flights?

Old January 23rd 21, 04:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
AS

Default What is your go-to meal on long flights?

On Friday, January 22, 2021 at 1:00:51 PM UTC-5, Pat Russell wrote:
Fig Newtons. Good for energy, and they taste the same even after you've sat on them.

I like to take along a few Nature Valley 'Roasted Nut Crunch' bars on long flights. They have relative low sugar/carbs - if you have to watch that - and they don't become sticky when getting warm, i.e. no mess when eating them. An apple or two is also nice to have. To drink, I take just regular black iced tea and/or water with a spritz of Mio or Crystal Light, which masks the 'Camelback taste'.

Uli
'AS'
Old January 24th 21, 07:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Cochrane[_3_]

Low sugar and no chocolate granola bars are hard to find. I currently get RXbars. Hint, always clean the cockpit carefully and don't leave a bar in there by mistake. Furry little critters love them.
Old January 24th 21, 10:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Waveguru

I never eat in the glider because invariably you leave crumbs and traces of food that then attract critters into your glider.

Boggs
Old January 24th 21, 11:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Burt Compton - Marfa Gliders, west Texas

Bananas & Apples have minimal "crumbs" and no wrappers. Dispose thru the canopy wind vent.
Water is less corrosive if you spill it than Coke, orange juice, Gatorade or Red Bull type energy drinks.
Pilots who have left just a few granola or energy bar crumbs in their cockpits have found mice droppings, chewed electrical wire or gnawed cushions and parachute cases, often on the next day.
Peanut butter? That what many folks use on mouse traps.
Mice love chewing on the drinking valve of your Camel-Back water bag. Yuck. Apparently they can smell water.
Next, they decide that your glider is a good place to build a nest under your seat pan or in the fuselage or wing.
Note: IN THE CRITTER FOOD-CHAIN, MICE ATTRACT SNAKES!
Ask me how I know!
Old January 25th 21, 03:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Wallace Berry[_2_]

On Tuesday, January 19, 2021 at 6:05:36 AM UTC-6, wrote:
I personally prefer some pastry with pudding, since it can fill a lot. What do you prefer?

I used to carry the usual things, like jerky, granola bars, apples, etc. Now I carry a frozen "old person drink". You know, Ensure, Boost, etc. Fits in the side pocket. Thaws out but usually still quite cold by the time I need it. Chocolate tastes pretty good. Reasonably well balanced nutrition. Somewhat hydrating and has enough sugar and protein to keep me going through final glide. No crumbs. Bit of a remote concern for most, but a liquid snack does not pose as much of a choking risk as solid stuff.
Old January 25th 21, 04:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)

On Tuesday, January 19, 2021 at 7:05:36 AM UTC-5, wrote:
I personally prefer some pastry with pudding, since it can fill a lot. What do you prefer?

Usually.....a banana or 2 (easy to dispose of "wrapper"), maybe "trailmix" of some sort. Drink....diluted Gatorade in fruit punch, thus if red, drink, if sorta yellow, pour it out.....LOL...
Old January 25th 21, 09:40 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Carlo Orsini

Il giorno martedì 19 gennaio 2021 alle 13:05:36 UTC+1 ha scritto:
I personally prefer some pastry with pudding, since it can fill a lot. What do you prefer?

For flights 8-10 hours: A sontuous breakfast + integrator of magnesium/potassium, a light sandwich (easy to digest) just before taking off and another one inflight for dinner, plenty of dry fruits melange to be consumed at regular intervals, 2 liters of plain water in a camelback (set warning on LX9000 to drink every 15 minutes!) (PAY ATTENTION: if you use gatorade or any other integrator in a camelback remember to wash it every time after flight !!). I don't like fresh fruits or vegetables because they tend to create gas, not the best if you climb high. Plan a gymnastic routine (leg wide movements from time to time) for what is possible. Of course Oxygen at least above 3.000m, better above 1.500m. Of course an easy to use peeing system is mandatory, you MUST drink and evacuate regularly during flight. Check carefully your flying suite according to the forecasted weather conditions at your planned flight levels (you don't have to feel too much cold or too much warm).

Carlo
Old February 4th 21, 09:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
B Z

I second Rxbars. They do not melt even in Tucson summers .