Commodious Sailplane?

Old October 8th 06, 06:44 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jim[_6_]

Default Commodious Sailplane?

I've been searching for a used sailplane for a month; most are proportioned
for pilots not-so-large as me. Any recommendations for ships with commodious
cockpit dimensions?
Jim Hultman
6'3" 240 lb.
Just call me 'Falstaffian".

Old October 8th 06, 10:49 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bruce Greef

Jim wrote:
I've been searching for a used sailplane for a month; most are proportioned
for pilots not-so-large as me. Any recommendations for ships with commodious
cockpit dimensions?
Jim Hultman
6'3" 240 lb.
Just call me 'Falstaffian".

Identical proportions - well same mass and length fits nicely in a Std Cirrus,
and Kestrel.

ASK21 and Grob 103 are also comfortable enough, if not neccessarily what you are
looking for.

Bruce
Old October 8th 06, 01:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave K

Try an Astir CS. Much better performance than either of these twin
ships. The cockpit is so roomy I used to set up a picnic when I got
hungry during cross-country flights. Lots of room for me and I'm 6' and
200lbs. There was spare movement on the rudder pedal adjustment etc.

Dave Kearns

Old October 8th 06, 01:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I am about the same, a little heavier. I have flown all schweizer
products, Nimbus 3 and Pegasus, both of those without seat pans. Also
LS-4, Standard Cirrus.

Sit before you buy.

Old October 8th 06, 03:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
KM

Jim wrote:
I've been searching for a used sailplane for a month; most are proportioned
for pilots not-so-large as me. Any recommendations for ships with commodious
cockpit dimensions?
Jim Hultman
6'3" 240 lb.
Just call me 'Falstaffian".

Jim, go sit in an ASW-20.Preferably a later model with the flip up
instrument panel.

K Urban

Old October 8th 06, 03:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

It's surprising what you can fit in if you really want to! I'm 5-10,
about 250, and fit in my LS-6 perfectly. Of course, there is no room
to spare at all - forget folding a sectional inflight - and wearing
heavy clothes for winter or wave flying is probably out of the
question, but for where I fly (shorts and t-shirt, perhaps jeans and a
windbreaker) it works.

Makes it feel like an F-1 race car - no room to rattle around!

Ventus B's and LS-4s are huge by comparison.

A PIK-20, OTOH, is tight - narrow, which makes the flap handle hard to
use; and I haven't found a chute that I can wear in it.

The chute can make a big difference, so be sure include that in your
gear when you try a cockpit on for size.

Good luck!

66

Old October 8th 06, 05:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jim[_6_]

Yes; it's really as much a safety issue as comfort, as flap or spoiler
handles are usually pinned somewhere behind my knee. The stick's
range-of-motion can be impeded as well. The Std. Sirrus sounds good under
$20K. I'm searching out all others mentioned here as well.
Thanks to all who've posted!
Jim Hultman

ups.com...

Jet sailplane update Bob C Soaring 0 April 13th 06 08:06 AM
HpH 304CZ as first sailplane fcnorton Soaring 29 March 31st 06 01:47 AM
Duster Plans For Sale - BJ-1b fullsize sailplane plans WoodHawk Soaring 0 April 25th 05 04:37 AM
Ultralight sailplane aerotow liability Caracole Soaring 18 April 1st 04 09:17 PM
Electro-self-launching sailplane clement Soaring 5 September 12th 03 05:03 AM