Eagle and goat go for a flight

Old April 23rd 08, 01:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Brad[_2_]

Default Eagle and goat go for a flight

http://www.break.com/index/eagle-dra...off-cliff.html

Amazing video.

Brad
Old April 23rd 08, 05:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Kloudy via AviationKB.com

Brad wrote:
http://www.break.com/index/eagle-dra...off-cliff.html

Amazing video.

Brad

YOIKS what is on that site?

My office workstation Anti-virus, surf control, and 'net access alarms went
berserk.

Old April 24th 08, 12:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
user

Years ago while doing research as a grad student, I came across an article
in a New Orleans paper (1840s) that described vultures attacking newborn
calves.

A few times since, I've brought this up when the conversation took a turn
towards raptors and each time was roundly excoriated for believing (and
retelling) what was clearly impossible.

Thanks for a refreshing bit reality.

Old April 26th 08, 07:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring,alt.usenet.legends.lester-mosley
marika

"Brad" wrote in message
http://www.break.com/index/eagle-dra...off-cliff.html

Amazing video.

do you think the eagle misjudged what he could carry off

or do you think the eagle knew by experience that the best way was to knock
him off his perch and make him tumble.
what if the eventual landing place of the prey then became inaccessible to
the eagle?

Old April 26th 08, 10:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring,alt.usenet.legends.lester-mosley
brianDG303

Once saw an eagle decide to have a duck for lunch, it swooped down on
flock of them, most of which flew off but a few stayed. It picked one
out and dove on it in a pretty relaxed way, the duck went under water,
no problem for the duck. This goes on for awhile, I'm thinking, stupid
eagle. The duck has no problem timing it's dive underwater to the
eagle's dive . But it was interesting to watch. That's when the second
eagle showed up, clearly both eagles knew the game quite well. They
started diving out if phase with each other, the duck couldn't figure
out the timing, duck for lunch. I came away with a very high opinion
of eagles. They've had a long time to figure this stuff out.
Old April 27th 08, 06:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring,alt.usenet.legends.lester-mosley
soarski

On Apr 26, 12:47*pm, "marika" wrote:
"Brad" wrote in message

http://www.break.com/index/eagle-dra...off-cliff.html

Amazing video.

do you think the eagle misjudged what he could carry off

or do you think the eagle knew by experience that the best way was to knock
him off his perch and make him tumble.
what if the eventual landing place of the prey then became inaccessible to
the eagle?

Hi Marika

looks to me that the movie showed 3 differnet sucsesful attacks. One
where he caried the lamb
not very far and almost crashed himself, the next where he carried it
well away from the rocks to drop it in a good spot and the last one
seems like he carried it right to the nest. This one was most likely
the smallest ones of the Mountain sheep lambs. The old lady then had
enough food in the house, to go off on a soaring contest??

With that kind of skill, she does not care whether she can retrieve
the kill. She'll just hunt another one?

Dieter

http://www.nypost.com/seven/02012008...ently_smug...- Hide quoted text -

Old April 27th 08, 08:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
diogenes[_2_]

On Apr 22, 8:45 pm, Brad wrote:
http://www.break.com/index/eagle-dra...off-cliff.html

Amazing video.

Brad

Not only were there multiple kills but the defensive reaction of the
goats as a herd showed this to be a "normal" hazard they face in this
area. It is not hard to imagine human children being carried away
just as easily. Maybe the mythical ROCS were based in fact!

Scott
Old April 27th 08, 04:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Karl Striedieck

While at the Hilton Cup in Nevada John Seymour and I saw a pair of golden
eagles gang up on a flying cormorant and knock it out of the air after a
couple passes. Falconers in Europe fly their eagles on deer, although as you
will see in this video, any wild eagle that made a habit of this wouldn't
last very long. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3at-vtd1LBE

Karl Striedieck

Old April 28th 08, 03:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring,alt.usenet.legends.lester-mosley
marika

"Karl Striedieck" wrote in message
While at the Hilton Cup in Nevada John Seymour and I saw a pair of golden
eagles gang up on a flying cormorant and knock it out of the air after a
couple passes. Falconers in Europe fly their eagles on deer, although as
you will see in this video, any wild eagle that made a habit of this
wouldn't last very long. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3at-vtd1LBE

O, thank god, I thought this was going to end up with another golfer killing
a bird of prey

mk5000

"Bottles of everything, models and everything
Everything goes and yes I mean everything"--Snoop Dog, Deez Hollywood Nights

Old April 28th 08, 06:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring,alt.usenet.legends.lester-mosley
FreeFlight107[_2_]

At the New Cuyama fly-in in 2004 just east of the calif. coastal
foothills, the local Ranger told of some Golden Eagles landing on the
school grounds and eyeing children while they played! Needless to say
a local policy change on how to handle endangered species when they
threaten people was implemented. You are now allowed to chase them off
with yells, sticks and stones.

Anyone have any idea where that was? The narrator speaks in Spanish
and the terain looks like it could be in Mexico mountains or So.
America. to take those pictures there had to be a very large camera
crew who knew the area and the eagle's MO.

Foamy, Were You Born In The Year Of The Goat? Michael Baldwin, Bruce Products 0 June 4th 07 02:01 AM
Easy Eagle Crash on first flight Fonz Home Built 5 January 30th 07 05:18 PM
Eagle cam (link to micro-cam mounted on golden eagle) J Crawford Soaring 5 February 22nd 05 12:23 PM
Mountain Goat Denny Piloting 1 December 23rd 04 07:12 AM
Golden Eagle Flight Prep Mike Adams Piloting 0 May 17th 04 01:36 AM