Gluing rubber pieces

Old May 24th 09, 06:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Default Gluing rubber pieces

Trying to repair the foot on the extension laddder I use
in the hangar.

It needs a new rubber foot.

I'm riviting a 1/4" piece or rubber to the aluminum foot.
Then I want to glue a 1/8" piece to the that to cover the
rivet heads.

So the glue joint would mostly be in compression and would
have to have decent shear strength. It wouldn't have to have
more peel strength than what's required to reliably keep the
1/8" piece from falling off.

In the dark ages, I'd reach for the Pliobond. Is there a better
solution these days? Crazy glue of some kind?

Bill Hale Loveland CO
Old May 24th 09, 06:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

On May 24, 11:15*am, "
wrote:
Trying to repair the foot on the extension laddder I use
in the hangar.

It needs a new rubber foot.

I'm riviting a 1/4" piece or rubber to the aluminum foot.
Then I want to glue a 1/8" piece to the that to cover the
rivet heads.

So the glue joint would mostly be in compression and would
have to have decent shear strength. *It wouldn't have to have
more peel strength than what's required to reliably keep the
1/8" piece from falling off.

In the dark ages, I'd reach for the Pliobond. *Is there a better
solution these days? *Crazy glue of some kind?

Bill Hale Loveland CO

Maybe tire patching cement? Got a bike tire patch kit handy?

Dan
Old May 25th 09, 05:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Morgans[_2_]

" wrote

So the glue joint would mostly be in compression and would
have to have decent shear strength. It wouldn't have to have
more peel strength than what's required to reliably keep the
1/8" piece from falling off.

I think you might be blinded to a more simple cure.

Can you not wrap the rubber around the piece that it sits on, and
mechanically fasten the rubber on the sides (90 degrees off of the bottom
plane) of the foot, either onto an existing part or to a small piece of
added angle stock?

Either that, or use a thicker piece of rubber, and countersink the rivit. A
piece of tire tread cut to size works great for that kind of thing.
--
Jim in NC

Old May 25th 09, 07:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Ed

On Sun, 24 May 2009 10:15:02 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

In the dark ages, I'd reach for the Pliobond. Is there a better
solution these days? Crazy glue of some kind?

Bill Hale Loveland CO

I'd still reach for pliobond!
Old May 25th 09, 10:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
kfvorwerk

On May 24, 7:15*am, "
wrote:
Trying to repair the foot on the extension laddder I use
in the hangar.

It needs a new rubber foot.

I'm riviting a 1/4" piece or rubber to the aluminum foot.
Then I want to glue a 1/8" piece to the that to cover the
rivet heads.

So the glue joint would mostly be in compression and would
have to have decent shear strength. *It wouldn't have to have
more peel strength than what's required to reliably keep the
1/8" piece from falling off.

In the dark ages, I'd reach for the Pliobond. *Is there a better
solution these days? *Crazy glue of some kind?

Bill Hale Loveland CO

I'd use contact cement.
Karl
Old May 25th 09, 12:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
cavelamb[_2_]

Brian Whatcott wrote:

Shoe Goop

It's great for that kind of stuff.
Old May 25th 09, 12:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
routund

" wrote:

Trying to repair the foot on the extension laddder I use
in the hangar.

It needs a new rubber foot.

I'm riviting a 1/4" piece or rubber to the aluminum foot.
Then I want to glue a 1/8" piece to the that to cover the
rivet heads.

So the glue joint would mostly be in compression and would
have to have decent shear strength. It wouldn't have to have
more peel strength than what's required to reliably keep the
1/8" piece from falling off.

In the dark ages, I'd reach for the Pliobond. Is there a better
solution these days? Crazy glue of some kind?

Bill Hale Loveland CO

3M Weatherstrip Trim Adhesive. Get it at any auto parts store. Comes in yellow
or black, although sometimes black is hard to find.
Old May 25th 09, 01:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Brian Whatcott

cavelamb wrote:
Brian Whatcott wrote:

Shoe Goop

It's great for that kind of stuff.

Not my suggestion, but sensible, no doubt!

Old May 25th 09, 06:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
RogerN

wrote:

In the dark ages, I'd reach for the Pliobond. Is there a better
solution these days? Crazy glue of some kind?

Bill Hale Loveland CO

I'd still reach for pliobond!

I work in maintenance at a tire plant and they keep pliobond in their
storeroom. We used it to glue an airplane tire to a rim for a tire
balancer. I'm not sure what their original purpose for pliobond is at our
plant but I figure it's pretty good for rubber adhesive.

RogerN

Gluing on Fabric ......... :-\)\) Home Built 13 August 24th 05 10:05 PM
gluing plastic on fiberglass Borislav Deianov Home Built 6 June 3rd 05 08:47 PM
WTB: Cessna pieces Marty from Sunny Florida Aviation Marketplace 1 April 6th 05 05:02 AM
Gluing phenolic B2431 Home Built 4 June 12th 04 11:44 PM
Spar gluing Lou Parker Home Built 26 November 21st 03 09:29 PM