The highly successful UK Junior XC program vs. USA's nonexistantJunior XC program. Why?

Old September 22nd 15, 06:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default The highly successful UK Junior XC program vs. USA's nonexistantJunior XC program. Why?

John hit the proverbial nail on the head. I believe the SSA should encourage clubs to add single place glass ships to their fleets and do more to encourage cross-country instruction/mentoring across the board. I think proactive policy decisions along these lines (at both the SSA and member club levels), will lead to a more engaged membership and greater retention of pilots (especially younger pilots).

I know a lot of european clubs have refurbished Standard Cirrus, Discus, ASW-20, LS4, etc. that are used by pilots and Juniors alike to persue cross country with. I think this approach not only fascilitates Junior participation but leads to retaining Millenials and GenX that may not be quite ready to buy the $90-150k sailplane of their dreams until the kids are all out of the house. In the meantime, both the mean age for a Regional or National contest here in the US continues to approach the geriatric threshold, which in the long run will make it more difficult to sustain sport, the SSA and many of the clubs that exist around the country.

-Christopher Schrader
Old September 23rd 15, 03:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sean Fidler

On second thought, and while flattered by the suggestion, I have come to the conclusion that I will not "lead" a round-table on growing youth soaring in the US at the upcoming SSA convention. It is simply not my place.

That said, bringing up the "rather distinct" contrast between the success of (for example) British Youth XC Soaring, and US Youth XC soaring was important. I do not wish to get in the way of those far better suited, connected and equipped to lead this discussion.

We have significant and existing infrastructure of SSA officers, BOD, regional directors, directors at large, commitees, etc. We also have at least a couple soaring clubs who are already working, to some extent, to build and grow youth XC programs. I think that at least one (or perhaps many) of these folks would be far better suited to host a round-table on the subject.

In fact, I am confident that this HUGELY important topic is 1) being added to the schedule and 2) will be a hot a topic of discussion between SSA leadership and club leadership leading up to the upcoming convention. I am also sure that we are already talking to the British and looking for insight, advice and ideas!

Good luck with the round table and the mission! I look forward to listening in.

Sean
7T
Old September 26th 15, 10:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Pasker

The Seniors in Lake Seminole, however, was very well attended, and had some awesome fiberglass

On Wednesday, September 9, 2015 at 11:53:06 AM UTC-4, Sean Fidler wrote:
Some of you might be interested to know that the UK just held its 2015 Junior Nationals a few weeks ago. Nearly 70 juniors pilots (yes, SEVENTY) competed in the event. As an American, I nearly fell over in my chair when I saw the article (and photo of the grid).

Back in the USA, the SSA doesn't even bother to hold a Junior Nationals.

Old September 27th 15, 04:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
son_of_flubber

I know a 19 y.o. PPL-Glider/SEL in NE USA that wants to connect with people around his age who're interested in XC soaring. Suggestions?

He's currently in school for an aviation career.

Old September 28th 15, 12:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Sunday, September 27, 2015 at 11:44:16 AM UTC-4, son_of_flubber wrote:
I know a 19 y.o. PPL-Glider/SEL in NE USA that wants to connect with people around his age who're interested in XC soaring. Suggestions?

He's currently in school for an aviation career.

NE USA is a very big place. Where is this person located?
UH
Old September 28th 15, 01:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
son_of_flubber

On Sunday, September 27, 2015 at 7:39:45 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On Sunday, September 27, 2015 at 11:44:16 AM UTC-4, son_of_flubber wrote:
I know a 19 y.o. PPL-Glider/SEL in NE USA that wants to connect with people around his age who're interested in XC soaring. Suggestions?

He's currently in school for an aviation career.

NE USA is a very big place. Where is this person located?
UH

He's going to school in Burlington VT and flies at Sugarbush, but all our pilots are a bit younger or a lot older. We are bringing him along but he'd like to connect with other Juniors on the internet, text etc., maybe start flying in Condor with other Juniors, get the inside scoop from another Junior who's a few years in. PM me contacts if they don't want to be posted to RAS.
Old September 28th 15, 02:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Sunday, September 27, 2015 at 8:46:25 PM UTC-4, son_of_flubber wrote:
On Sunday, September 27, 2015 at 7:39:45 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On Sunday, September 27, 2015 at 11:44:16 AM UTC-4, son_of_flubber wrote:
I know a 19 y.o. PPL-Glider/SEL in NE USA that wants to connect with people around his age who're interested in XC soaring. Suggestions?

He's currently in school for an aviation career.

NE USA is a very big place. Where is this person located?
UH

He's going to school in Burlington VT and flies at Sugarbush, but all our pilots are a bit younger or a lot older. We are bringing him along but he'd like to connect with other Juniors on the internet, text etc., maybe start flying in Condor with other Juniors, get the inside scoop from another Junior who's a few years in. PM me contacts if they don't want to be posted to RAS.

Feel free to give him my contact information. Danielsazhin at gmail.com or on facebook.

21 year old flying out of Blairstown NJ...

Best Regards,
Daniel
Old September 28th 15, 03:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Sunday, September 27, 2015 at 8:46:25 PM UTC-4, son_of_flubber wrote:
On Sunday, September 27, 2015 at 7:39:45 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On Sunday, September 27, 2015 at 11:44:16 AM UTC-4, son_of_flubber wrote:
I know a 19 y.o. PPL-Glider/SEL in NE USA that wants to connect with people around his age who're interested in XC soaring. Suggestions?

He's currently in school for an aviation career.

NE USA is a very big place. Where is this person located?
UH

He's going to school in Burlington VT and flies at Sugarbush, but all our pilots are a bit younger or a lot older. We are bringing him along but he'd like to connect with other Juniors on the internet, text etc., maybe start flying in Condor with other Juniors, get the inside scoop from another Junior who's a few years in. PM me contacts if they don't want to be posted to RAS.

We've got 67 (mostly) juniors he https://www.facebook.com/groups/USJRSoaring/ Daniel and/or I would be glad to connect with him.

JP
Old September 28th 15, 04:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
son_of_flubber

We've got 67 (mostly) juniors he https://www.facebook.com/groups/USJRSoaring/ Daniel and/or I would be glad to connect with him.

JP

Thanks. Your's and Daniel's replies were what I was looking for. I'll pass your contact info to my friend.

Old September 28th 15, 01:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Sunday, September 27, 2015 at 10:46:42 PM UTC-4, wrote:
[...]

Action- not ideas, what a concept!
Good job
UH

Ten Reasons to Add a Junior Program to Your Glider Club XC Soaring 14 October 9th 14 11:39 AM
E6-B program for HP 15C Chris W Piloting 5 June 12th 05 02:17 AM
L.A.R.K. Program Flyingmonk Home Built 6 April 15th 05 01:23 AM
Program about the B-26 vincent p. norris Military Aviation 1 January 1st 04 01:41 AM
Van's C of G program Ray Toews Home Built 5 September 30th 03 01:20 PM