40 years ago

Old May 2nd 07, 12:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
H. Adam Stevens

Default 40 years ago

the Baron's under the left door.

http://www.tsaviation.com/modules/co..._Gafford01.JPG

"Peter R." wrote in message
On 5/1/2007 5:44:52 PM, "H. Adam Stevens" wrote:

Solo in my late P Baron, Colorado Springs to Jackson Hole, Summer 1999.
Taken West of Denver at FL240.

Alas in May of '93 a "microburst" levitated the enormous hangar door on
top of said P Baron.

Your timeline is off. Do you mean in May of 2003 your aircraft was
destroyed?

--
Peter

Old May 2nd 07, 12:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Erik

ManhattanMan wrote:
Ross wrote:

ManhattanMan wrote:

H. Adam Stevens wrote:

Greetings

On May 1, 1967 I flew my last pre-solo dual.
I soloed on May 2, at 10 hours, in Cessna N8624J, a brand new 150,
the first student to solo in it.
The rent was $7/hr wet.

That's about the time I did the same, 9 hrs, C-150 N8722G..
Flew out of the now defunct Fairfax airport in Kansas City, Kansas,
presently a GM assembley plant..
Seem to remember dual was $15/hr.

In 1970 I soloed from Hillside Airport, south of KCMO. $9.00/hr wet
for a C-150. I got my commercial in ~1973 at the Johnson County
Airport (now Executive) with the Johnson Co community college. C-172
were $16.00 hr wet and the instructors were salaried, so there were
no per hour instructor charges. And I used to fill my '67 Buick
Wildcat (430 CID) with premium at $0.19/gal.

We used to go to Johnson Co. for touch & goes if Fairfax was busy - made my
all time worst landing there with my CFI practicing full flap short field
and bounced up so high I just hit the throttle for a go around. Really made
me a believer of the 150's main gear! d:-))

Damn. All these "solo'd at 10 hours" stuff. I wonder if I had
decent CFIs. I had 30 at my first solo. I know I don't learn
super fast, but jeesh.

Old May 2nd 07, 12:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
ManhattanMan

Erik wrote:

Damn. All these "solo'd at 10 hours" stuff. I wonder if I had
decent CFIs. I had 30 at my first solo. I know I don't learn
super fast, but jeesh.

How far were your lessons spaced out? I had just finished four years in the
Navy flying back seat as radar operator in S2F sub chasers, so navigation,
general familiarization with aircraft was old stuff, and I was taking
courses through the Junior College on pilot training, so things were going
along at a pretty good clip....
It was still a kick in the pants anyway you slice it though, wasn't it?????
d:-))

Old May 2nd 07, 01:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bob Noel

In article ,
Erik wrote:

Damn. All these "solo'd at 10 hours" stuff. I wonder if I had
decent CFIs. I had 30 at my first solo. I know I don't learn
super fast, but jeesh.

look up old postings in rec.aviation.student. Every once in awhile
there are postings about how long it's taking to solo.

of factors including frequency of lesson, prior experience,
weather, traffic density.

bottomline: it doesn't matter

--
Bob Noel
(goodness, please trim replies!!!)

Old May 2nd 07, 02:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ron Wanttaja

On Tue, 1 May 2007 14:14:31 -0500, "H. Adam Stevens"
wrote:

I knew one guy who soloed before he got his driver's license.
He used to ride his bicycle to the airport to fly airplanes.

Well, now you know two. :-)

I got my driver's license about two months after my first solo.

Ron Wanttaja
Old May 2nd 07, 01:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mark T. Dame

Gene Seibel wrote:

Passed my checkride 30 years ago, May 6, 1977. 150's were going for
$16 wet then.

At that rate, in 2037 a 152 will go for $380/hour wet. Maybe I need to
rethink my retirement plans. It looks like I'll need more money than I
thought.

-m
--
## Mark T. Dame
## CP-ASEL, AGI
Old May 2nd 07, 01:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mark T. Dame

Erik wrote:

Damn. All these "solo'd at 10 hours" stuff. I wonder if I had
decent CFIs. I had 30 at my first solo. I know I don't learn
super fast, but jeesh.

One thing to keep in mind: in the last 20 years the number of people
soloing in less than ten hours has gone way down. I have a friend who
soloed in the late sixties in less than five hours. Basically, his
instructor took him and did turns (climbing and descending) and then
taught him how to flare. After that, solo time.

These days you learn a lot more prior to soloing, so it naturally takes
longer. The average these days is closer to 20 hours than 10. A lot of
factors affect that, as others have said. One of the biggest factors is
how often you fly. If you fly once every week or so, it will take more
hours than if you fly three or four times a week.

But, as someone else pointed out, it doesn't really matter. All that
matters is the end result: passing the checkride.

-m
--
## Mark T. Dame
## CP-ASEL, AGI
Old May 2nd 07, 01:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Peter R.

On 5/1/2007 7:32:00 PM, "H. Adam Stevens" wrote:

It was at San Marcos, Texas.

2 0 0 3

or was it 4?

(how embarrassing)

Ah, don't sweat it. With three boys I often find myself having to pause to
correctly cite their ages.

--
Peter
Old May 2nd 07, 02:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck

On May 1, 1967 I flew my last pre-solo dual.
I soloed on May 2, at 10 hours, in Cessna N8624J, a brand new 150, the first
student to solo in it.
The rent was $7/hr wet.

It seems that most here are concentrating on the costs -- but I'd like
to say "Congratulations" on 40 years in the air!

I wasted my first 35 years on the ground, looking up. As a result of
my procrastination, I doubt that I shall ever have the opportunity to
enjoy aviation for 40 straight years -- it's quite an accomplisment,
IMHO. Good job!
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old May 2nd 07, 02:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Matt Barrow[_4_]

wrote:

I knew one guy who soloed before he got his driver's license.
He used to ride his bicycle to the airport to fly airplanes.

Well, now you know two. :-)

I got my driver's license about two months after my first solo.

With some states putting higher requirements on "yutes" of 16-18, that might
become more common.

90 years old Flyingmonk Owning 1 May 15th 06 09:34 PM
6 years ago Icebound Piloting 0 June 14th 05 03:29 AM
14 years gone Phantom Blot Military Aviation 1 February 22nd 04 02:29 AM
New Years Eve Chuck Piloting 25 January 2nd 04 04:39 PM
100 years Gunnar Military Aviation 6 December 18th 03 09:58 AM