Open Cirrus Performance Specs

Old May 24th 07, 06:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley

Default Open Cirrus Performance Specs

Cockpit load is 551lbs minus weight of non-lifting components. It can
be well over 250lbs.

Frank Whiteley

On May 23, 12:14 pm, Chris Reed wrote:
I have a German Cirrus (the "Open" is not part of the official name, but
was added by most when the baby version came along) and a friend has a
VTC model. Both have the full VNE, so it's worth considering one
depending on what VNE is where you are situated. I've flown both, and
there's no appreciable difference between them.

The first place to start ishttp://classicsailplane.org/Cirrus/where
you'll find a directory, pictures and newsletters - lots of information.

The Cirrus is a 1967 aircraft, first generation glass. It's very strong
(wings tested by the LBA to 15g I understand) and mine, which was
re-gelled a few years back, looks pretty much as good as new. Handling
is good, the cockpit is wide (though tight for tall pilots who are long
in the body but great for long legs), and I work on 40:1 L/D which I
find on the conservative side.

This is not a glider for rushing around in - the aim is to travel long
distances in a stately fashion. Cruise is 50-65 kt (but better at
50-55), landing around 50 kt, etc. etc. Follow the energy, turn as
little as possible, and you can cruise long distances. Excellent for
weak days - my first 300k flight was made with a 3,500ft cloudbase and
thermal averages around 3 kt.

Stall is around 36kt, VNE 118 kt (but you don't want to fly that fast),
rough air the same, max winch launch 59kt, max aerotow 74kt. Cockpit min
weight depends on history, but on the ones I've seen seem to average
around 165lb. Max is the standard 242lb (from memory).

Because of the age of the design, and the solid build, the wings are
comparatively heavy. However, I rig mine solo with simple aids (trestles
and a mid-wing dolly) and it took me 25 mins to rig today and 20 to pack
away in its trailer.

I'm delighted with mine, because it suits my style of flying. If you
want to scream around at 100kt, it's probably not the glider for
you.It's a real distance machine - as a working rule, if you can see it,
you can glide to it.

Paul Hanson wrote:
I have a long time love affair with the Open Cirrus.
I have almost bought one on three separate occasions,
and am starting to get the itch again (Sunship Game
fever).
Can anyone provide me with complete performance specs
and operational limitations for this aircraft (not
terribly interested in the VTC made version since it
had a lower VNE and load ratings due to manufacturing
anomalies, but I suppose it would be neat to know for
the sake of comparison). I would like to know a lot
more about this plane than I currently do, and although
I have done a fair amount of homework on this type
I'm hungry for more info, much more info.

Paul Hanson

"Do the usual, unusually well"--Len Niemi

Old May 24th 07, 10:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Chris Reed[_1_]

Frank,

I think max cockpit weight depends where you are. I believe in the UK
all cockpit max weights are limited by the theoretical stressing of the
seat/harness mounts, which means 242 lb.

If Paul is in the US then he should go with your figures, I would imagine.

I think we'd both agree it's a great aircraft.

Old May 24th 07, 03:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley

You are right. Looks SH issued a TN in March 1984, limiting the max
cockpit load to 242.5lbs. Haven't been to the SH web site in some
years, but there's a complete list of TN's on models there now,
including the VTC. Anyone interested or owning these should give it a
visit.

Still, a great ship that will be flying well into the future.

Frank