PIK 20B control "pip pins"

Old May 6th 06, 04:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default PIK 20B control "pip pins"

Hello all,
A colleague from our club is on the way to buy a Pik 20B. The trailer got
broken into on the way for the sell and the sad individuals ran off with the
tool box that contained the connecting pins in question. Glider untouched.
We are now looking for Pik 20B control rod connecting pip pins. Is there
someone that would sell 4 of these pins? Otherwise does anyone know where I
may find a supply? I gather they would be metric in size but no idea what
diameter they would be.
Best regards
Marc Arsenault
74

Old May 6th 06, 04:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

McMaster-Carr has them in some metric sizes:

http://www.mcmaster.com

Search on "quick release pins."

Old May 7th 06, 03:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Marc Arsenault wrote:
Hello all,
A colleague from our club is on the way to buy a Pik 20B. The trailer got
broken into on the way for the sell and the sad individuals ran off with the
tool box that contained the connecting pins in question. Glider untouched.
We are now looking for Pik 20B control rod connecting pip pins. Is there
someone that would sell 4 of these pins? Otherwise does anyone know where I
may find a supply? I gather they would be metric in size but no idea what
diameter they would be.
Best regards
Marc Arsenault
74

Marc

I just went out and checked mine for you. The diameter is 0.247
inch.(These are available in the US with a 0.250 inch diameter). The
length of the shank is 1.102 inch. The head length is 0.590 inch.

Now a suggestion. I have connected the right flap and aileron pins
together with a short piece of parachute cord. I have done same with the
pins on the left as well. I never remove a connected pair. This prevents
loss and dropping one into the bilge. The cord has never interferred
with the mixer movement at least over the last 30 years but do have your
A&I check it out.

I hope that this helps.

Paul
Old May 7th 06, 03:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Paul and Bob,

Thank you very much for your help. I am looking into it Monday morning.

Cheers from Montreal

Marc

Old May 7th 06, 03:59 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

They are metric, made of stainless steel, and I believe the shank to be
6mm in diameter. I am using them, but the previous owner was using 6mm
aircraft bolts and several washers with safety pins. He said he never
felt secure with the pip pins. Go figure...

Jack Womack
PIK-20B N77MA (TE)

Old May 9th 06, 12:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

As an Austin-Healey maintainer I'm familiar with grub screws and nib
nuts, but what's a pip pin?

-John

Old May 9th 06, 04:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Earlier, jcarlyle wrote:

...what's a pip pin?

Generally, it's a mechanical pin retained by one or more balls at the
tip that protrude beyond the cylindrical body of the pin. The balls are
either spring loaded, or are allowed to retract when you press the
button on the handle of the pin.

Here's a picture of a typical locking pin:

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalo.../qkrelease.jpg

Thanks, and best regards to all

Bob K.
http://www.hpaircraft.com/hp-24

Old May 9th 06, 09:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Aha! Thanks very much for adding to my dictionary of UK-US terms, Bob!

-John