Still in Shock

Old May 25th 06, 08:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Default Still in Shock

Chuck wrote:
My Archer is in annual and I ask the A&P to check on replacing the trim
switch on the yoke. It has been getting a little hard to get it to
activate in the "down" direction.

He just called and said Piper wanted about $325 for the SWITCH. I
looked in Aircraft Spruce and a non PMA switch is about $25.

Manual trim isn't that bad but it seems a shame to lose a function
because of "attempted rape".

Chuck

Piper made two different trim switches. One is a round switch with a
ridged slide. That switch is made by Mason Switch, but it is not one
that they keep in stock. You can order one from them, but it will run
you pretty close to the $325 that Piper charges for it. Most of the
cost is tooling set-up fees. If you have more than one made, the
incremental cost for the additional switches is quite small (on the
order of $10). One of the guys on the Cherokee Pilots Association chat
did this a while back and got 10 switches, which he sold at his cost.
There was recently several people on the Chat looking to buy switches,
so you might join if not already a member and get on the bandwagon.

The other trim switch they made was a custom assembly that contained a
pair of standard microswitches and a superstructure that holds a plastic
push button rocker. I don't know who made that one, and have not found
anything like it in any of the electronic catalogs.
Old May 25th 06, 09:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

RST Engineering wrote:
"Michael" wrote in message
oups.com...
He just called and said Piper wanted about $325 for the SWITCH. I
looked in Aircraft Spruce and a non PMA switch is about $25.

Even $25 is way too much. As an A&P and practicing engineer, I would
never suggest that you simply pull the switch out, find one that looks
and functions the same (good sources include Mouser, Digikey, and
Newark), and install it. After all, that would not be an approved
part, so you would not be able to make the proper logbook entry.

Nor would this A&P IA, engineer, and avionics author ever recommend such an
approach. No siree, not me, not hardly ever. "Switch? What switch. It
must have been put on there before I bought the airplane."

Neither would this aspiring A&P replace the stall microswitch with one
from Radio Shack (switches drawer, left column, second from the bottom).

No way.

-jav
Old May 25th 06, 09:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

On 05/25/06 13:16, Javier wrote:
RST Engineering wrote:
"Michael" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

That reminds me of the movie "The Russians are coming, the Russians are coming!"
"... do not, under any circumstances, insert the ammunition magazine into the
mechanism ... and never move this lever to its full forward position to lock
the magazine in place ..." ;-)

Cal Aggie Flying Farmers
Sacramento, CA
Old May 26th 06, 08:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

RST,

. "Switch? What switch. It
must have been put on there before I bought the airplane."

The most important prayer for this atheist: "Dear god, please let me
never run out of excuses."

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old May 26th 06, 03:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

1973 V35B.

And mine is a 1949 A35. There are quite a bit of differances in the
Bonanzas over the years.

Differences such as "piano keys" for switches? :-))
I'll bet you play that panel pretty well.
Old May 26th 06, 05:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

john smith wrote:
1973 V35B.

And mine is a 1949 A35. There are quite a bit of differances in the
Bonanzas over the years.

Differences such as "piano keys" for switches? :-))
I'll bet you play that panel pretty well.

For the typical Bonanza that is the same vintage as mine, thats true.
However, some former owners of my plane spent way too much time and money
redoing the panel.

See:
http://www.stutzman.com/frank/flying/n494b/panel_b.jpg

I've carried on the tradition with some avionics upgrades (a Garmin 430,
audio panel and a JPI), but they were added after the above picture
was taken. I've been in one of those with the piano keys, but never have
flown one.

--
Frank Stutzman
Bonanza N494B "Hula Girl"

Old May 27th 06, 04:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

In article ,
Frank Stutzman wrote:

For the typical Bonanza that is the same vintage as mine, thats true.
However, some former owners of my plane spent way too much time and money
redoing the panel.
See:
http://www.stutzman.com/frank/flying/n494b/panel_b.jpg

WOW!!!! Never would I guess that is a '49!
Old May 27th 06, 09:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

I thought that was in "1941". Dan Ackroyd's character telling the hapless
homeowner what "not" to do with the anti-aircraft gun the Army was
positioning on his property.
Scott Wilson

Old May 28th 06, 03:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Ray Andraka wrote:
Chuck wrote:

[...]

Dave Wheeler on the Cherokee Pilot Association's Chat is putting
together an order for switches on Tuesday. If you are looking or one,
now is the time to sign up for CPA and get on the list.

Shock Mounting Gyros Doug Palmer Home Built 9 January 4th 06 08:38 PM
Shock Chord Rings smjmitchell Home Built 1 September 9th 04 07:41 AM
Shock *Heating*? Jay Honeck Owning 48 February 25th 04 03:43 PM
IS28B2 Lark shock strut parts Dale Walker Soaring 4 February 18th 04 12:45 AM
Avoiding Shock Cooling in Quick Descent O. Sami Saydjari Owning 32 January 21st 04 04:32 AM