OLC participation and "red marks"

Old April 7th 06, 11:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default OLC participation

QT reported success with the SeeYou patch on Cambridge files from KS,
X, QV and SM on 4/4. All were uploaded and validated without problems.

The only red marks in the SSA-OLC in the last few days are from people
using GPSlog (not sure why that did not work) or test download on the
Volkslogger.

BTW, SeeYou found another issue with long directory names, and have
reposted a patch yesterday April 6 to correct this:

http://www.seeyou.si/news/2006/04/gps-nav-patch.html

OLC also has more Cambridge info on their Info page:

http://www.onlinecontest.org/olcphp/olc-i.php?olc=olc-i

Old April 8th 06, 02:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Doug, do you know the exact time of the Tuesday upload cutoff? Your
presentation says 0000 zulu, but it appears that one usually can upload
after that time. The OLC website is unclear.

Old April 8th 06, 12:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

It should have said 2400z Tuesday, or 0000z Wednesday.

Old April 8th 06, 05:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Doug Haluza wrote:
It should have said 2400z Tuesday, or 0000z Wednesday.

But is that the actual cutoff, or are they giving until midnight USA time?
Old April 9th 06, 03:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

There is also a freeware utility for Cambridge GPS-NAV flight claiming
to OLC written by Carl Ekdahl available on the ASC website:

http://www.abqsoaring.org/misc_files/CAI_fix.htm

So now, there should be no more red marks for Cambridge!

If you got a red mark yesterday (or know someone who did) please try
reclaiming the flight with one of these programs.

Old April 9th 06, 07:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Doug Haluza wrote:
There is also a freeware utility for Cambridge GPS-NAV flight claiming
to OLC written by Carl Ekdahl available on the ASC website:

http://www.abqsoaring.org/misc_files/CAI_fix.htm

So now, there should be no more red marks for Cambridge!

Uh, I'm guessing there are quite a few pilots world-wide who
done read the Albuquerque site, who don't read RAS, and in general
get very frustrated with anything to do with computers. The
problem's not going away anytime soon.

The See-You patch is likely only valid for 3.X versions, something
that's been left off the See-You and OLC sites.

Old April 20th 06, 04:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Doug Haluza wrote:
An update on the OLC Red Marks. StrePla, the latest SeeYou 3.5a Patch,
and the Carl Ekdahl freeware have been working well in getting
Cambridge Model 10/20/25 GPS-NAV *.cai files to pass the OLC security
checks. Accordingly, the number of red marks on Cambridge files is much
lower now. If you know someone with a GPS-NAV who is still having
problems, or just gave up, let them know about these programs.

Doug, do you know why OLC doesn't just let people upload their CAI file,
with OLC doing the conversion to IGC format? Seems like it would avoid
all the problems we have seen.

Old April 20th 06, 11:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I think the problem is that OLC has not been able to get any support
from Cambridge to help set this up. They are still looking at doing it
in the future, but it won't happen any time soon. So for the forseeable
future, we have to use the DOS program work-around. Fortunately,
Cambridge users now have several software tools to do this (see links
in earlier postings in this thread).

Old April 25th 06, 02:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Hi,

Doug Haluza asked me to post tips on how to avoid validation issues with
Cambridge 302 products. This applies to OLC validation and validation for
any badge or record flight.

I have never had a problem with a file downloaded from a 302 using the
Cambridge 300 Utility on a Pocket PC or PC. However, I have heard 2nd hand
reports of 302 files that seem to download OK, but then fail the security
checks on the OLC web site. The same files would also fail any security
check for a badge or record flight. If the security seal is in fact valid
on the 302, then I've heard that re-downloading the flight log may solve the
problem. That implies that the problem is a download issue. That will only
work if the security seal is OK of course.

To summarize, the flight log validation failures with 302 and 302A units
(which I have not seen first hand) are probably caused by 1 of 2 things.

1. The 302 or 302A is not sealed. On very rare occasions I have heard of
302 units that lost their security seals. I can't explain why that
happened. The solution to this issue is to have the unit re-sealed and the
factory or a Cambridge authorized repair center.
2 . The flight log download process had a "hiccough" and the downloaded
file was not secure. The solution to this problem is to simply re-download
the flight log again. It is possible to check the validity of the file
immediately after downloading it (see below).

To check the security Seal on a 302 (without a 303 display attached).
From the home screen
- Press the knob/button on the front of the 302 9 times (slowly) to get to
screen 10 (displays as a zero on the right side of the screen). "IAS" is
displayed on the bottom of the screen.
- Rotate the knob until you see either "Good Seal" or "Bad Seal". That is
the status of the security seal.

If you have a Cambridge 303 LCD Navigation Display attached to the 302 then
the status of the security seal is displayed at power-up.

To download a flight log and check its security using the Cambridge 300
Utility on a PC or Pocket PC.
- Be sure you are using the latest version of the Cambridge 300 Utility
(currently 2.57). It is available he
http://www.cambridge-aero.com/300series.htm at the bottom of the page.
- Run the 300 Utility
- Press the "Transfer Flight Logs" button
- A list of flight logs will be displayed, select the desired flight log
from the list.
- Press the "Transfer" button
- When done a status window is displayed. It is probably accurate, but be
sure to check the security of the file as described below. Press OK to
close the download status window.
- Always, Always, Always verify that the flight log is secure by pressing
the "Verify Files" button and selecting the desired file. Tip - If you tap
the "Date" column the files will be sorted by their creation date. Tap it
again to reverse the order. A window will appear and verify the security of
the file. You should see "Log Data Integrity OK, Signature Data Integrity
OK, Security OK". If any of those does not show "OK" then try
re-downloading the file again and re-verifying the file.

Please let me know if you have any tips or feedback.

Good Soaring,
Paul Remde
Cumulus Soaring, Inc.
Now serving the soaring community full time.
http://www.cumulus-soaring.com

"Doug Haluza" wrote in message
oups.com...
An update on the OLC Red Marks. StrePla, the latest SeeYou 3.5a Patch,
and the Carl Ekdahl freeware have been working well in getting
Cambridge Model 10/20/25 GPS-NAV *.cai files to pass the OLC security
checks. Accordingly, the number of red marks on Cambridge files is much
lower now. If you know someone with a GPS-NAV who is still having
problems, or just gave up, let them know about these programs.

We do see red marks for other reasons as well. One of the most common
problems is Volkslogger users downloading their logs in test mode.
Volkslogger users must use the secure download mode, which takes a
little longer to calculate the key. Check your software instructions
for how to select secure download mode.

Another common problem is files that do not pass the key check because
they were modified or corrupted during download. If you get a red mark
on your claim with an error message for an invalid key, you can confirm
this by running the IGC validation program from your logger
manufacturer. This is the same check you would make if you were an
official observer for an FAI badge or record claim. Try downloading the
file again to see if you can get a good transfer that will pass the
validation check. You may need to try a different computer. There have
been known problems with some types of USB serial adapters for laptops
without serial ports. Do not erase the logger memory until you verifiy
that your flight log file has passed the validation.

Another problem we have seen is loggers that have a bad security seal.
All FAI approved loggers must have an electronic security check that
detects attempts to open the case, etc. Sometimes the seal can be
broken by a power surge, or a misaligned connector, or some other
non-intentional event that triggers the tampering detector.
Unfortunately the only way to fix this is to send the logger back to
the manufacturer, or their designated representative to "repair" the
security seal.

We have also seen problems with PDA logs from SeeYou Mobile and
WinPilot. We have not been able to identify any patterns in these logs
to indicate why these logs do not pass validation. If you have problems
with your PDA software logs, you should send the bad log files to your
software vendor for tech support.

The good news is that most people are able to get their flight logs
validated most of the time. Some people have no problems at all, others
have had to work at it for a while to come up with a reliable process.
The best thing to do is to reach out and help others who may be having
problems, and encourage them to work through to a solution.

Old April 25th 06, 04:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Hi,

I have made a document entitled "How to Avoid Flight Log Download Validation
Issues with a Cambridge 302 or 302A available on my OLC Overview and Tips
page he
http://www.soarmn.com/cumulus/olc.htm The file is found at the bottom of
the page.

Let me know if you have any suggestions or feedback on it.

Good Soaring,

Paul Remde
Cumulus Soaring, Inc.

"Paul Remde" wrote in message
[...]