Phoebus C - why so cheap?

Old July 30th 10, 05:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]

Default Phoebus C - why so cheap?

You know, I knew there was something familiar about the tail number on
that Phoebus that is on Wings and Wheels. I couldn't place it though.
N121TT. Hmmmm

Well I am watching the Sunship Games tonight and there it is! N121TT
pulling into Marfa for the 1969 Nationals! I knew I'd seen it
somewhere!

Old July 30th 10, 05:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Grider Pirate

On Jul 29, 11:09*pm, Mike wrote:
On Jul 29, 10:10*pm, Tony wrote:

You know, I knew there was something familiar about the tail number on
that Phoebus that is on Wings and Wheels. *I couldn't place it though..
N121TT. Hmmmm

Well I am watching the Sunship Games tonight and there it is! N121TT
pulling into Marfa for the 1969 Nationals! I knew I'd seen it
somewhere!

Soaring Junkie!

NOT! A soaring junkie would have told us who was flying it, how they
placed, and perhaps posted the daily results.
Old July 30th 10, 06:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]

NOT! A soaring junkie would have told us who was flying it, how they
placed, and perhaps posted the daily results.

well the daily results are in the SSA Soaring Magazine archive,
September 1969 edition Page 22 and 23 in the actual magazine (20 and
21 in the archive). 4 Phoebus's (or is that Phoebii?) were entered
and not noted as Standard Class gliders. One of the 4 was designated
a Phoebus C while the rest were just plain Phoebus. the Phoebus C
placed 21st, pilots last name was Ryan.

Old July 30th 10, 07:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
mike

On Jul 30, 11:36*am, Grider Pirate wrote:
On Jul 30, 10:20*am, Tony wrote:

NOT! A soaring junkie would have told us who was flying it, how they
placed, and perhaps posted the daily results.

well the daily results are in the SSA Soaring Magazine archive,
September 1969 edition Page 22 and 23 in the actual magazine (20 and
21 in the archive). *4 Phoebus's (or is that Phoebii?) were entered
and not noted as Standard Class gliders. *One of the 4 was designated
a Phoebus C while the rest were just plain Phoebus. *the Phoebus C
placed 21st, pilots last name was Ryan.

Soaring Junkie!

John Ryan, the guy who was being interviewed before the last task,
saying any of 10 or was it 20 people could win. He was the USA
distributor for the Phoebus at the time. The first was Art
Zimmermann, who later designed and built the Concept 70. ... Uh oh
I'm a soaring junkie.
Old July 30th 10, 07:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]

On Jul 30, 10:20*am, Tony wrote:

NOT! A soaring junkie would have told us who was flying it, how they
placed, and perhaps posted the daily results.

well the daily results are in the SSA Soaring Magazine archive,
September 1969 edition Page 22 and 23 in the actual magazine (20 and
21 in the archive). *4 Phoebus's (or is that Phoebii?) were entered
and not noted as Standard Class gliders. *One of the 4 was designated
a Phoebus C while the rest were just plain Phoebus. *the Phoebus C
placed 21st, pilots last name was Ryan.

Soaring Junkie!

John Ryan, the guy who was being interviewed before the last task,
saying any of 10 or was it 20 people could win. He was the USA
distributor for the Phoebus at the time. The first was Art
Zimmermann, who later designed and built *the Concept 70. *... *Uh oh
I'm a soaring junkie.

ah, its not so much a distance task as a survival task.

was he the guy who compared it to an 8hr full dress ball? that line
always cracks me up
Old July 30th 10, 08:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
sisu1a

ah, its not so much a distance task as a survival task.

was he the guy who compared it to an 8hr full dress ball? *that line
always cracks me up

Different guys, but the 8r ball guy also cracks me up. Anyone know who
that is BTW?

-Paul
Old July 30th 10, 08:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
mike

On Jul 30, 10:20*am, Tony wrote:

[...]

I think that was Rudy Alleman.