Airspace Violations OLC

Old April 17th 06, 05:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Airspace Violations OLC

5Z wrote:
It's up to ALL OF US to keep an eye on flight claims and attempt to
contact the person making a questionable claim. Ask them to add a
comment to the flight explaining the discrepancy, or withdraw the
flight. If they refuse, and it's an obvious bust, then submit a
"complaint" to the OLC.

The very concept of getting accusatory emails from individuals who
likely know nothing of the circumstances of my flights, would certainly
kill any interest I might have in participating in the OLC...

Old April 17th 06, 06:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Marc Ramsey wrote:
5Z wrote:
It's up to ALL OF US to keep an eye on flight claims and attempt to
contact the person making a questionable claim. Ask them to add a
comment to the flight explaining the discrepancy, or withdraw the
flight. If they refuse, and it's an obvious bust, then submit a
"complaint" to the OLC.

The very concept of getting accusatory emails from individuals who
likely know nothing of the circumstances of my flights, would certainly
kill any interest I might have in participating in the OLC...

How about calling in law enforcement to carry out random ramp testing
on loggers? Once folks start breaking one or two little rules, who
knows where it could lead? We need to stamp out this antisocial
widespread glider log cheating immediately!

Some good examples - all of those recent long ridge flights in the NE
USA are made WAY too close to the ground. I think all those logs
should be pulled for close scrutiny for violations!

Mike

Old April 17th 06, 12:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

When someone passes you on the highway doing 15 over the speed limit,
do you call 911 and sic the coppers on him? If you see your neighbor
in a sleazy bar about to get lucky, do you call his wife?

The saying "Mind your own business" comes to mind!

Kirk
66

Old April 17th 06, 01:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

When someone passes you on the highway doing 15 over the speed limit,
do you call 911 and sic the coppers on him?

15 KPH we have speed cameras and radar and lidar for that!

If you see your neighbour
in a sleazy bar about to get lucky, do you call his wife?

I don't hang out in sleazy bars do you!

As a former PI the wife normally paid to find out they called me.

The saying "Mind your own business" comes to mind!

Yes just like the USA minding everyone else's business the world police.

Next time a jet on descent into Australia's busiest airport sucks a glider
through its engine don't forget to dial 000

Kirk
66

Old April 17th 06, 02:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Marc Ramsey wrote:
5Z wrote:
It's up to ALL OF US to keep an eye on flight claims and attempt to
contact the person making a questionable claim. Ask them to add a
comment to the flight explaining the discrepancy, or withdraw the
flight. If they refuse, and it's an obvious bust, then submit a
"complaint" to the OLC.

The very concept of getting accusatory emails from individuals who
likely know nothing of the circumstances of my flights, would certainly
kill any interest I might have in participating in the OLC...

I can understand that, but is there a way a person could contact you
that would be agreeable to you? Or as an alternative to people
contacting a pilot with a potential airspace violation, would you prefer
any pilot posting a flight with an airspace intrusion explain why the
intrusion was allowed (in the comment section on the claim form)?

Eric Greenwell - Washington State, USA

www.motorglider.org - Download "A Guide to Self-launching Sailplane
Operation"
Old April 17th 06, 04:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Eric Greenwell wrote:
Marc Ramsey wrote:
The very concept of getting accusatory emails from individuals who
likely know nothing of the circumstances of my flights, would
certainly kill any interest I might have in participating in the OLC...

I can understand that, but is there a way a person could contact you
that would be agreeable to you? Or as an alternative to people
contacting a pilot with a potential airspace violation, would you prefer
any pilot posting a flight with an airspace intrusion explain why the
intrusion was allowed (in the comment section on the claim form)?

I might not have an issue with the OLC implementing some mechanism for
automatically detecting and requesting clarification on any apparent
airspace violations in a flight. It may or may not be worth the hassle,
but it would at least be clear what was going on. If I instead had to
justify my every move to arbitrary observers, it definitely isn't worth
it. Every year I make flights under (and once inside, with permission)
Class B airspace, over and inside of (with permission) Class C airspace,
over and inside of (inactive) Restricted airspace, in Class A wave
windows, etc. A local pilot may or may not understand what is going on,
someone outside of the area almost certainly won't.

For some people, it would just be a license to harass other pilots.
This is one area where personal responsibility should be the primary
enforcement mechanism, just as it is for those who aren't participating
in the OLC.

Marc

P.S. I'm not currently participating in the OLC, as I don't think it is
worth the hassle...

Old April 17th 06, 05:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Ok, so every time a pilot exceeds 18,000 feet, he just adds a note
"cleared by ATC" and everything's fine!

I don't know why there's an assumption that rule breaking is at all
widespread and that a flight outside normal airspace hasn't been done
with permission. Most of us do obey the rules, you know.

Mike