A380 Landing in LAX

Old March 22nd 07, 05:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bob Clough

Default A380 Landing in LAX

Anyone notice what seemed to me to be rather large deflections of the
rudder during landing at LAX the other day? The video is on CNN --
can't provide direct link so go to CNN video site and search for
"Gigantic jet arrives in U.S.".

Was there a significant crosswind that morning? On touchdown, the A380
appears to turn a bit and then recover. I believe the 380 gear is
designed to land somewhat crabbed on a pivot and then turn straight.

Comments?

Bob
Old March 22nd 07, 06:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
A Guy Called Tyketto

Old March 22nd 07, 07:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Stewart

A Guy Called Tyketto wrote:

Bob Clough wrote:

Anyone notice what seemed to me to be rather large deflections of the
rudder during landing at LAX the other day? The video is on CNN --
can't provide direct link so go to CNN video site and search for
"Gigantic jet arrives in U.S.".

Was there a significant crosswind that morning? On touchdown, the A380
appears to turn a bit and then recover. I believe the 380 gear is
designed to land somewhat crabbed on a pivot and then turn straight.

Nope. No real crosswinds at all. the video on CBS2.com (CBS LA
Affiliate) has ATC comms on it, and when MSN101 checked in, Tower
reported winds 280 at 4. So for all intents, winds were calm. They
definitely turned to recover it, and it was dramatic on the CBS2 video.
I think they just missed the runway centerline and corrected to get
back onto that. Just with the size of that beast, any correction like
that is going to look drastic.

Here's the URL to the video:

There was some speculation on pprune that they
may have applied reverse thrust before the nose
was firmly planted. If that was the case, a
little asymmetry with the reverse thrust coming
on could cause the yaw.
Old March 22nd 07, 09:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Jim Stewart writes:

There was some speculation on pprune that they
may have applied reverse thrust before the nose
was firmly planted. If that was the case, a
little asymmetry with the reverse thrust coming
on could cause the yaw.

If that's the way landings take place with the best A380 pilots around in the
cockpit, what will happen when regular pilots start to fly it? That was an
amazingly clumsy and rough landing, especially given that there was no obvious
reason for it (heavy crosswinds or whatever).

Old March 22nd 07, 09:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_2_]

Mxsmanic wrote in
:

Jim Stewart writes:

There was some speculation on pprune that they
may have applied reverse thrust before the nose
was firmly planted. If that was the case, a
little asymmetry with the reverse thrust coming
on could cause the yaw.

If that's the way landings take place with the best A380 pilots around
in the cockpit, what will happen when regular pilots start to fly it?
That was an amazingly clumsy and rough landing, especially given that
there was no obvious reason for it (heavy crosswinds or whatever).

So now you feel sufficiently knowledgable to question test pilots..

Asshole.

Bertie

Old March 22nd 07, 10:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Stewart

Mxsmanic wrote:
Jim Stewart writes:

There was some speculation on pprune that they
may have applied reverse thrust before the nose
was firmly planted. If that was the case, a
little asymmetry with the reverse thrust coming
on could cause the yaw.

If that's the way landings take place with the best A380 pilots around in the
cockpit, what will happen when regular pilots start to fly it? That was an
amazingly clumsy and rough landing, especially given that there was no obvious
reason for it (heavy crosswinds or whatever).

It's only your assumption that it was a clumsy
landing.

I'm of the opinion that they did what they did
to get it firmly planted and stopped as quickly
as possible. And that's a safe landing, especially
for such a high value plane. A little roughness
weighed against the consequences of a overshoot
and nosegear collapse is a good tradeoff.

Old March 22nd 07, 10:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
A Guy Called Tyketto

Old March 22nd 07, 11:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Darkwing

"Mxsmanic" wrote in message
Jim Stewart writes:

There was some speculation on pprune that they
may have applied reverse thrust before the nose
was firmly planted. If that was the case, a
little asymmetry with the reverse thrust coming
on could cause the yaw.

If that's the way landings take place with the best A380 pilots around in
the
cockpit, what will happen when regular pilots start to fly it? That was
an
amazingly clumsy and rough landing, especially given that there was no
obvious
reason for it (heavy crosswinds or whatever).

Says the idiot that has never landed a real plane EVER.

DW

Old March 23rd 07, 06:35 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,alt.disasters.aviation
Mxsmanic

Bertie the Bunyip writes:

So now you feel sufficiently knowledgable to question test pilots.

When they land that poorly, I'll question them no matter why type of pilot
they are supposed to be. The whole world was watching, and the pilot screwed
up (or the aircraft has a problem).

Old March 23rd 07, 06:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Jim Stewart writes:

It's only your assumption that it was a clumsy
landing.

I'm of the opinion that they did what they did
to get it firmly planted and stopped as quickly
as possible. And that's a safe landing, especially
for such a high value plane. A little roughness
weighed against the consequences of a overshoot
and nosegear collapse is a good tradeoff.

Why isn't this necessary with a 747?