Sport Pilot Training in VA

Old October 12th 05, 06:19 PM
W P Dixon

Default Sport Pilot Training in VA

Just an update,
Gig informed me in another thread that this place had recieved a Zenith
601 for flight training. And that is true! They are doing flight training at
Bryce Mountain Resort, the inn is 125 a night. 10 hours with instructor is
$1200 smackers and a 5 hour block will only run you $650. I'd love to fly a
601 but I ain't paying that kind of price..it's a sport plane not a
Gulfstream I may have to wait until Gig gets his finished! HEE HEE
Anyway web sites are www.sportplanes.com and www.maspl.com. The also offer a
complete sport pilot package costing $4290, you can get a PP here for that !

--
Patrick Dixon
student SP

Old October 12th 05, 09:13 PM
Gig 601XL Builder

"W P Dixon" wrote in message
Just an update,
Gig informed me in another thread that this place had recieved a Zenith
601 for flight training. And that is true! They are doing flight training
at Bryce Mountain Resort, the inn is 125 a night. 10 hours with instructor
is $1200 smackers and a 5 hour block will only run you $650. I'd love to
fly a 601 but I ain't paying that kind of price..it's a sport plane not a
Gulfstream I may have to wait until Gig gets his finished! HEE HEE
Anyway web sites are www.sportplanes.com and www.maspl.com. The also offer
a complete sport pilot package costing $4290, you can get a PP here for
that !

--
Patrick Dixon
student SP
aircraft structural mech

Jeez, that is high. I'll bet the price drops when no one takes them up on
that. There is no way in hell it costs $130/hour to fly a 601XL unless there
business model has them paying the thing off in 1000 hours.

I was planning on going there or to one of the other sportsplanes.com
centers for some dual and time in model before I do my first flight.
Hopefully by then the price will have dropped. Either that or find out who
is financing the plane there will probably be a repo in a few months.

Old October 12th 05, 09:30 PM
W P Dixon

Yep!
I told him as much..way over priced! 130 an hour in block time no less
!!!! Ridiculas! I'd love to fly one myself but I won't at that price. Of
course I heard the usual well compare it to the cost and maintenance of a
new Diamond . And compare it to a 40 year old plane. Well if the maintenance
on a new sport plane is more than the maintenance and upkeep of a 40-60 year
old "sport category" plane..I don't want one!
And heck you can rent a Diamond for 130 an hour can't you? They cost in
the range of 140-150 G? The 601 supposedly as S-LSA around 45G ???? I don't
think enough rich doctor and lawyer types will be interested in flying a 601
to keep them afloat. Especially ones that need to get a sport pilot cert.
May want to hold out for that repo

Patrick
student SP
aircraft structural mech

Old October 12th 05, 09:48 PM
Gig 601XL Builder

The plane costs around $80K he's nuts and when I meet him and I'm sure I
will I'll tell him so.

He's flying the plane all over the place to fly-ins and the like. He
probably is trying to pay for all of his flying and it isn't going to work.

Mark my words the price will drop or the repo man will come.

Old October 13th 05, 06:04 AM

I bet I am one of thousands of low time pilots (PPL for 2 years and 170
hours) that looks at sport pilot planes as chance to fly new,
interesting, and most of all cheap aircraft.

I really like the 601 and would love to put 10 to 20 hours on one but
the price should be more like $60/hr for the plane. If the new sport
pilot planes cost more than a PA28-140 or C-172, I think sport pilot
will just become flying for thoose who can't get a medical. Then FBO's
will never get enough hours on there planes to be profitable.

Sport Pilot planes need to be no frills, cheap, and fun to succeed.

Give me a Piper Cub and a tent!

Old October 13th 05, 02:22 PM
Gig 601XL Builder

He's over pricing even based on sportsplanes.com's own business model.

http://sportsplanes.com/Content.aspx?Page=Lease%20601
Operating Cost at 700 hours per year is estimated to be $45.03

700hrs/yr is only 1.9 hr per day flying.

Cost of debt service for a loan of $54,500 over 12 yrs. at 9% is $620/month
or $10.63/hr based on 700 hrs per yr.

Average school may charge $69.00 per hr including fuel.

Gives profit of $13.34/hr

Annual Profit of $9,338.00 per airplane after paying all monthly payments
and operating costs

Note: costs may change.

This is an estimate

"Cub Driver" wrote in message
news
On 12 Oct 2005 22:04:09 -0700, wrote:

I really like the 601 and would love to put 10 to 20 hours on one but
the price should be more like $60/hr for the plane.

Dream on! I pay $75 wet for a Cub that is worth $35,000 tops. If the
plane you want to fly costs $80,000, you are going to pay north of
$100/hour for the privilege of sitting in it with the engine running.

-- all the best, Dan Ford

email
(put Cubdriver in subject line)

Warbird's Forum:
www.warbirdforum.com
Piper Cub Forum: www.pipercubforum.com
the blog: www.danford.net
In Search of Lost Time: www.readingproust.com

Old October 13th 05, 03:33 PM
TaxSrv

"Gig 601XL Builder" wrote:
He's over pricing even based on sportsplanes.com's own business

model.

Operating Cost at 700 hours per year is estimated to be $45.03

Cost of debt service...$10.63/hr

Folks not in the accounting business should opine only, with
disclaimer.

Gross profit goes toward all your other costs, like the FBO owner
wants a salary matching middle America at least. And exorbitant
charges to the airport for space. Etc., etc.

A rule in restaurants is just double your food costs for menu
price, and many still fail. A tavern can fail at triple the cost
of booze. So your cash out costs of $55.66 times two is a rental
rate of $111.

A grocery store at $5 million gross, on a narrow gross margin, can
fail. Are there many of those even around?

Fred F.

Old October 13th 05, 03:56 PM
W P Dixon

Then you need to fly a Cub where I go at 57 an hour wet! But still 75
sure beats 100 to 130! Yep 57, it went up a few bucks because of fuel prices
, but still is a great deal.

Patrick
student SP
aircraft structural mech

Old October 13th 05, 03:59 PM
W P Dixon

And maybe people not working in aviation should as well

Patrick
student SPL
aircraft structural mech