Putting a Plane into Storage

Old June 29th 05, 06:16 PM
JAX

Default Putting a Plane into Storage

Is there a procedure or can anyone offer advice on putting a plane into
long term storage, so that the airframe is protected and a few years
down the road it can be brought back up with a minimum of fuss and
lubing? Should the plane be wrapped somehow to keep insects and
critters from getting in? The plane is currently flying, and we're in
kind of a humid climate.

Old June 29th 05, 10:17 PM
Doug

Pickle the engine and cover the top with clear plastic. Use those
clamps to clamp the plastic tight.

Old June 29th 05, 10:40 PM
Allen

"JAX" wrote in message
oups.com...
Is there a procedure or can anyone offer advice on putting a plane into
long term storage, so that the airframe is protected and a few years
down the road it can be brought back up with a minimum of fuss and
lubing? Should the plane be wrapped somehow to keep insects and
critters from getting in? The plane is currently flying, and we're in
kind of a humid climate.

If at all possible move the aircraft to a dry climate and pickle the engine.
I don't know about wrapping it, especially in a humid environment. You
would need to use some type of breathable wrap so you wouldn't get problems
from condensation. I used to work at an FBO in New Mexico, we had a V35A
that belonged to a fellow from Florida who was in the Navy and was being
shipped out for several years. The engine was pickled and the windows
covered; that was about it. The airplane was still in the hangar two years
later when I left.

Allen

Old June 30th 05, 01:08 PM
JAX

Unfortunately moving it to a dry climate is not doable. As far as
wrapping, we were worried about the same things you brought up. Maybe
just a canopy or tarp over the upper cabin would help, but still let
the plane breathe? Also, wasps seem to love to build nests in any
plane sitting more than a couple of days around here, so we'd have to
plug up all obvious holes and vents to keep them out. Does anyone know
a good source for cans of anti-dessicant we can put in the fuselage to
compensate for the reduced natural airflow?

Allen wrote:
oups.com...

Old June 30th 05, 06:02 PM
George Patterson

Doug wrote:
Pickle the engine and cover the top with clear plastic. Use those
clamps to clamp the plastic tight.

Do *not* cover with plastic. Condensation will form under the plastic and
produce real corrosion problems.

George Patterson
Why do men's hearts beat faster, knees get weak, throats become dry,
and they think irrationally when a woman wears leather clothing?
Because she smells like a new truck.
Old June 30th 05, 07:56 PM
Tina Marie

In article .com, JAX wrote:
plug up all obvious holes and vents to keep them out. Does anyone know
a good source for cans of anti-dessicant we can put in the fuselage to
compensate for the reduced natural airflow?

Our local UHaul place sells buckets of dessicant - you might check
with your local store.

http://store.uhaul.com/(4i5iqurech1nmyqhbvrpx3zm)/productdetails.aspx?id=5961

Tina Marie
Old June 30th 05, 10:32 PM
GraveRobber

Look up Damp Rid on the internet. I think you can pick it up at your local
hardware store.

--
GraveRobber
Ready to dig through time.

Old July 1st 05, 12:02 AM
BTIZ

don't put it into storage.. send it out here to the dry desert and well keep
it flying for you

BT

oups.com...

Old July 1st 05, 01:48 AM

Shell 2F on the engine and cylinders.

Old July 1st 05, 05:53 PM
Mike W.

"JAX" wrote in message
oups.com...
Is there a procedure or can anyone offer advice on putting a plane into
long term storage, so that the airframe is protected and a few years
down the road it can be brought back up with a minimum of fuss and
lubing? Should the plane be wrapped somehow to keep insects and
critters from getting in? The plane is currently flying, and we're in
kind of a humid climate.

Have you thought about leasing it out to a flying club or filight school?
That way the maint. will be kept up, and it might even earn you a little
cash instead of rotting in the hangar.

--
Hello, my name is Mike, and I am an airplane addict....

Passenger crash-lands plane after pilot suffers heart attack R.L. Piloting 7 May 7th 05 11:17 PM
Rental policy Robert Piloting 83 May 13th 04 05:29 PM
rec.aviation.aerobatics FAQ Dr. Guenther Eichhorn Aerobatics 0 October 1st 03 07:27 AM
rec.aviation.aerobatics FAQ Dr. Guenther Eichhorn Aerobatics 0 September 1st 03 07:27 AM
rec.aviation.aerobatics FAQ Dr. Guenther Eichhorn Aerobatics 0 August 1st 03 07:27 AM