Stupid Attorney taling about GPS's

Old February 20th 04, 03:39 PM
Tom Sixkiller

"Michael Houghton" wrote in message
Howdy!

In article .net,
Dave S wrote:
The actual news article goes into this detail. After Laci Peterson was
reported missing, the police department placed covert GPS tracking
devices on all of his vehicles and monitored the vehicle (and therefore
Scott's) whereabouts pretty much constantly. This explains how they
thought he was headed for Mexico to flee the country. The defense
attorney is trying to get this surveillance data thrown out/disallowed..
and in trying to do so invoked the claim that if GPS wasnt accurate
enough to land airplanes, it wasnt iron-clad enough to be used as
evidence in a capital case.

On its face, this is a bit disturbing. Did the police have the sanction
of the courts before emplacing these devices? If not, it smacks of
unlawful search, etc. On the other hand, if a court issued the moral
equivalent of a search warrant permitting the use of them, he's just in
deep doodoo...

They're performing surveillance, not conducting a search.

Old February 20th 04, 04:34 PM
Big John

Nomen

Check Popular Mechanics and the other magazines like that. I've seen
them advertised in some of the pubs.

That being said, any device that radiates is illegal without a license
(which you cannot get) so you will go from the frying pan into the
fire if caught with a jammer (

A number of years ago I designed and built a corner reflector system
that was rotated by the wind stream as the car drove along. It rotated
at a speed based on wind stream and the theory was that it would
reflect the radar signal back to gun and show an off scale reading. I
also tried a slower speed so the returned signal would show a lower
speed than vehicle actual. Since the signal being reflected was the
same principal as the return from the vehicle (no active radiator) it
would be legal.

Bottom line, I found that if I made the corner reflectors a reasonable
size, then they did not reflect a larger signal than the automobile.
They would have had to been so large to work they would have been
impracticable to mount on the automobile (front bumper, etc.)

My device was wind driven and had a rather slow rotational speed.
Maybe one of these days will modify and drive the system with a 12V DC
motor and gearing to get a rotational speed of 5K-10K so effective
area will exceed the return from the automobile reflective area.

Interesting project and may one of these days do some further work on
other legal methods of blocking/modifying radar gun signals. G Have
also been making some napkin drawings of using the Luneberg Lens
principles. Also a method of shifting the radar return frequency
(passively) to give legal speed readings (or a zero reading on
officers gun).

Now what does this have to do with flying. System could be placed on
aircraft to change (augment, eliminate or modify) return.of pulse type
radar.

Big John

On Fri, 20 Feb 2004 10:30:03 +0100 (CET), Nomen Nescio

Old February 20th 04, 05:25 PM
Gig Giacona

Dave S wrote:
[...]

I'm quite sure if the action was even bordering on Mr. Peterson's rights his
attorney would have been using that to get the tracking thrown out.

Old February 20th 04, 05:26 PM
SD

On Fri, 20 Feb 2004 09:02:48 -0500, "Dennis O'Connor"
wrote:

There is a trial rule taught to all sophomore law students, "Never ask a
question on court you don't already know the answer to"
He obviously forgot the rule...

This is so very true but most lawyers I believe tend to forget this
rule sometimes. Another story while I was an officer, I had to attend
a DWI case that was finally going to court after about 3 years. While
I was up on the stand, the defense attorney was asking me questions
about the reasons I decided to take the defendant to jail. When the
question about his speech came up. The attorney made the comment
about his dialect and the part of the state that he was from and asked
me if I took this into account. I told him that I do take such things
into account. He then asked me "So officer, How many people do you
know from XYZ, Texas". At first I thought this question was a joke.
I then looked over at the jury and gave my answer... Well, including
myself and my family and all the people I went to school with as a
kid... A whole lot of other people! The jury rolled. The attorney
sat down and had no further questions.
The defendant was found guilty.

Scott

Old February 20th 04, 05:30 PM
Gig Giacona

From: "Dennis O'Connor"

Oh, the officer will tell you that can't be... Ask him, what do you think
that the ECM box on an F 14/15/16/18/22/117 fighter does when an enemy

fire
control radar tries to lock on...
denny

Just curious. Does the F117 carry ECM? Seems like it would defeat the

whole
"stealth" thing.

I would bet they do. They just don't turn it on unless the get hit above
their detection threshold.

Gig G

Old February 20th 04, 06:19 PM
Robert M. Gary

Gerald Sylvester wrote in message link.net...
I never read anything about this Scott Petersen murder
trial before. I saw a headline about a "GPS." I started
to read it and I guess the guys car had a GPS in it
and the prosecution is trying to place him at the murder
scene. Well the defense attorney is saying the GPS
is inaccurate due to a malfunction and made the
moronic comment of:
-------------
Peterson's attorney, Mark Geragos, argued that the information gathered
through global positioning system technology was not accurate. GPS uses
signals from dozens of satellites to show a receiver's position to
within a few feet.

"If the FAA will not approve GPS for the landing of an aircraft, how can
a court of law approve its forensic use in a capital case?" he said.
--------------

The attorney's job is to protect his client. 90% of law is procedural
and most cases are won/lost on procedure. Perhaps he's afraid the GPS
will put his client at the location. However, I'd be surprised if the
GPS actually kept any data.

-Robert
Old February 20th 04, 07:18 PM
Wdtabor

The attorney's job is to protect his client. 90% of law is procedural
and most cases are won/lost on procedure. Perhaps he's afraid the GPS
will put his client at the location. However, I'd be surprised if the
GPS actually kept any data.

As I understand this, the GPS devices were put on his car to track his
movements AFTER Laci was missing.

I don't see how that can place him at the scene. It can only support the
evidence of his affair.

Don

--
Wm. Donald (Don) Tabor Jr., DDS
PP-ASEL
Old February 20th 04, 08:06 PM
Michael Houghton

Howdy!

Dave S wrote:
[...]

I would not be so blindly confident in his attorney's attention to detail.

How would you feel about the police secreting a GPS tracker on your vehicles?
If they were doing it on their own recognizance, I'd expect information
so gathered to be tainted. If they convinced a judge that it needed done,
they would be on firmer ground. ...and tame judges can be found in most
jurisdictions.

yours,
Michael

| White Wolf and the Phoenix
Bowie, MD, USA | Tablet and Inkle bands, and other stuff

http://www.radix.net/~herveus/
Old February 20th 04, 08:40 PM
Peter R.

Wdtabor ) wrote:

I don't see how that can place him at the scene. It can only support
the evidence of his affair.

According to one news report, the GPS log supposedly shows that he twice
returned to a beach near the location where his wife's body washed up.

--
Peter

Old February 20th 04, 09:11 PM
Gig Giacona

Dave S wrote:
[...]

In this case there are multiple attorneys working for his side. I'm pretty
sure if there wasn't a warrant or some pretty strong precedence on the
matter somebody on the defense team would have though of it [We did] or had
it brought to their attention.

GigG