Solid State Artificial Horizon

Old December 30th 06, 02:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
nimbus

Default Solid State Artificial Horizon

Dear Sir,

I read carefully the various posts on this newsgroup about the subject
(egyro-solid state gyro etc...).

In order to avoid heavy cabling, and minimising the available space (on
the instrument panel) and volume (behind the instrument panel), I am
slowly coming to 2 options:

Option 1 : E-gyro 2 (the instrument with a 57 mm in diameter) available
from PCFlightSystem.com. Only 2 axis available.

Option 2 : ADI from Tru-Trak which seems to be more complete i.e. 3
axis system.

Does anyone have a pragmatic experience on those systems?

Personaly I am not interested by a PDA solution because I need the PDA
for the moving map aspect.

Many thanks,
Bruno

Old December 30th 06, 07:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected][_1_]

I'd like the manufacturer to explain the "vertical velocity enhanced
pitch" in the Tru-Trak ADI. I'd hate to rely on that in IMC in wave
conditions if it is doing what I think it is.

There are smaller mechanical AIs avialable at least in panel space, may
still be too much for you behind the panel, and they will cost you
more (in cash and power consumption). For example the Mid Continent
4200 series, if I wanted a real AI that is personally what I'd use.

There are several interesting small EFIS systems available for
experimental aircraft, but thats a lot more integration that just
plugging in a AI. For example look at Dynon EFIS-10.

Many people seem to be going with the Tru-Trak pictorial T&B (no
pitch).

Darryl Ramm

Old December 30th 06, 08:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected][_1_]

Bruno

I think you are looking at the Midcontinent 4300 series, the 4200
series are 2 1/4" - why I mentioned them.

Darryl

nimbus wrote:
OK Darryl,
Thanks for the info. I had a look on their website. Apparently, the
front size of their instrument is 3 1/8" (80 mm) in diameter. This
means that this is a "big" instrument. I am searching for a solution
presenting a front size of 2 1/4" (57mm) maximum.

Dynon EFIS-10 is interesting but it has also a 3 1/8" front size and no
version in 2 1/4".

Bruno

Old December 30th 06, 09:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

ive flown IFR with they Dynon 10A, not in a glider though. Id say find
a way to get a bigger hole in your panel. The display is big, power
consumption is pretty low, and everything you need is right there. Im
pretty sure this is what Shawn Knickerbocker uses when flying his
gliders in clouds. Plus it costs about the same as the tru track
attitude indicator or most other electric gyro AI's but displays
altitude airspeed vertical speed.

Old December 30th 06, 11:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tim Mara

another option I also offer are the MGL Avionics Stratomaster electronic
horizons and other electronic instruments.
you can see these on http://www.wingsandwheels.com/page23.htm
tim
Wings & Wheels
www.wingsandwheels.com

ups.com...

Old December 31st 06, 12:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
5Z

Now, if someone came up with a way to use the display for a soaring
specific moving map when VFR, it would really be cool...

-Tom

Old December 31st 06, 04:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Forest Baskett

At 00:37 31 December 2006, 5z wrote:
Now, if someone came up with a way to use the display
for a soaring
specific moving map when VFR, it would really be cool...

-Tom

PCEFIS by PCFlight Systems claims to do that. Their
box contains three solid state gyros for each axis
and accelerometers that feeds a data stream to their
software on a Pocket PC. They also seem to pass through
GPS data from a GPS device so that you can run your
moving map program on the PDA and run their artificial
horizon software in the background. I haven't tried
it. It would be pretty cool if it all worked.

Forest

3D Solid State Gyro GeorgeC Piloting 21 May 22nd 06 11:54 PM
Backup AI (using solid state gyro) for portable Andrew Gideon Piloting 14 January 27th 05 08:41 AM
Backup AI (using solid state gyro) for portable Andrew Gideon Products 13 January 27th 05 08:41 AM
New artificial horizon - Sigmatek or R.C. Allen? David Herman Owning 7 November 13th 04 01:38 PM
Solid State Gyro;s on Ipaq Ben Flewett Soaring 1 October 13th 03 05:15 PM