artificial horizon

Old February 23rd 07, 02:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
DavidH

Default artificial horizon

Greetings flying folk,
I am seeking an economical AH, or turn coordinator system.
My needs are to provide some assistance when
VFR and the vis is poorly
or if when VFR on top the gaps are closing
or on top and the cloud tops are not horozontal.
..
Any suggestions on minimal systems greatly appreciated.
many thanks
David Hill

Old February 23rd 07, 05:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Joe Kultgen[_2_]

"DavidH" wrote in
ups.com:

.
Any suggestions on minimal systems greatly appreciated.
many thanks
David Hill

A couple of suggestions.

Don't fly VFR on top.

Get your buns back on the ground when the weather *begins* to get iffy.

Make me the beneficiary on your life insurance.

Or get an instrument ticket, equip your panel for IFR, and practice
enough to be comfortable in the soup.

Playing "partial panel" games in conditions that are "marginal" VFR is
kissing the cobra. Sooner or later you will get bit. I'm not trying to
be insulting. I just don't need to read about another guy who *almost*
made it home safe.

Later,
Joe Kultgen
Old February 23rd 07, 10:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
DavidH

On Feb 23, 4:13 pm, Joe Kultgen wrote:
"DavidH" wrote roups.com:

[...]

Joe
I don't disagree with any of your post.
I do have the instrument ticket
but no longer have the income that supported hiring IFR aircraft.
Now a retired old bloke who enjoys pottering the sky at 60knots
and who would still like to improve the "keeping the wings level"
information on my rag and tube flying machine.
thanks for your imput
sincere thanks that is
Davidh

Old February 23rd 07, 11:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Vaughn Simon

"DavidH" wrote in message
ups.com...
Any suggestions on minimal systems greatly appreciated.
many thanks

Scroll to the bottom of this page: http://www.wingsandwheels.com/page22.htm

Vaughn

David Hill

Old February 23rd 07, 11:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Stealth Pilot

On Fri, 23 Feb 2007 05:13:39 GMT, Joe Kultgen
wrote:

"DavidH" wrote in
[...]

I'm with david. my day vfr tailwind has an AH fitted and it has saved
my bacon on 3 occasions now.
I dont fly deliberately into anything opaque but I'll warrant that if
you fly regularly enough you'll get overtaken by the fluffy stuff
eventually.

david a reliable day vfr system with the addition of an AH is all you
should need. that and a garmin gps.

Stealth Pilot
Old February 23rd 07, 02:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
CW Crane

"DavidH" wrote:

Greetings flying folk,
I am seeking an economical AH, or turn coordinator system.
My needs are to provide some assistance when
VFR and the vis is poorly
or if when VFR on top the gaps are closing
or on top and the cloud tops are not horozontal.
.
Any suggestions on minimal systems greatly appreciated.
many thanks
David Hill

How about a turn coordinator with a small venturi vacuum source?

CW Crane
Old February 23rd 07, 02:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Wayne Paul

Here is another option http://www.oxaero.com/TruTrak.asp

Wayne
http://www.soaridaho.com/

Old February 23rd 07, 08:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Dan[_2_]

CW Crane wrote:
"DavidH" wrote:

Greetings flying folk,
I am seeking an economical AH, or turn coordinator system.
My needs are to provide some assistance when
VFR and the vis is poorly
or if when VFR on top the gaps are closing
or on top and the cloud tops are not horozontal.
.
Any suggestions on minimal systems greatly appreciated.
many thanks
David Hill

How about a turn coordinator with a small venturi vacuum source?

CW Crane

Carry a cat and a duck with you. If you get lost heave the duck out
and follow it. If you aren't sure of which way is up heave the cat out
and see which way it points its feet since they always land on their
feet. I admit it's kind of hard on the cat, but they are cheaper than
mechanical indicators.

Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired
Old February 23rd 07, 11:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Al G[_1_]

"Dan" wrote in message
CW Crane wrote:
"DavidH" wrote:

[...]

If you get a cat with only a couple of lives left, he will stick to the
bottom
of the cabin, even if that is the roof. You don't even have to throw him
out, just
roll until he lands on the same floor you use. Be careful following the
duck, sometimes they will "duck" under and land in the pond.

Al G

Old February 24th 07, 12:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Joe Kultgen[_3_]

"DavidH" wrote in
ups.com:

Playing "partial panel" games in conditions that are "marginal" VFR
is kissing the cobra. Sooner or later you will get bit. I'm not
trying to be insulting. I just don't need to read about another guy
who *almost* made it home safe.

Later,
Joe Kultgen

Joe
I don't disagree with any of your post.
I do have the instrument ticket
but no longer have the income that supported hiring IFR aircraft.
Now a retired old bloke who enjoys pottering the sky at 60knots
and who would still like to improve the "keeping the wings level"
information on my rag and tube flying machine.
thanks for your imput
sincere thanks that is
Davidh

You're welcome, and thanks for taking it in the spirit it was offered.

Back when I was actively aviating I was strictly a daylight VFR person.

From your comments I'm sure you've been around long enough to have heard
the old saw about how a non-pilot, who sits in a plane and fools with the
controls long enough, will convince himself that he can fly. I can't say
how much truth there is to that. With the exception of an occasional
homebuilder I doubt that many non-pilots find themselves in that
position.

What I can say from personal experience, and the accident stats back me
up, is that a VFR pilot flying a plane with an IFR panel is much more
likely to find himself in conditions he isn't prepared to cope with.
Having the extra information available *can* make things safer. You're
the only one who knows exactly what your current skill set is and if you
have the self discipline to avoid cutting your safety margin because now
you also have "plan B". For myself I can't help wondering how many
people would be alive today if they had only a simple panel instead of
all the info they needed to get to that smoking hole in the landscape.

Fly safe, Fly often,

Joe